Grammar question

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Grammar question

Postby meeks on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:02 pm

So I was looking up a word to translate it... The translation site showed various examples. There was a column with the heading of "grammar" and on each row it would have either 'adj', 'v', 'n' - those made sense.... But sometimes I'd see an 'f' in that column.

What does the 'f' mean? I've no idea how to Google that with a proper result.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Re: Grammar question

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:13 am

What words had an f? Maybe that will help
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bill on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:46 am

I found this....

Grammar terms beginning with letter F

False friend

A word in a foreign language which looks very much like a word in your own language but which has a very different meaning.

Finite verb
A label applied to a verb-form which is marked for tense. A finite verb has the marking –s in the simple present tense. Note that this happens only when the subject is in the third person singular.

So for example in James works, the verb-form works is finite. In the past tense, tense is marked either by the ending –ed or by a change in the inner vowels of the verb.

Foreign plural
A plural form which has been imported directly from a foreign language. English has dozens of foreign plurals. Examples include radii (plural of radius) and phenomena (plural of phenomenon).

Foreign plurals often confuse English-speakers because they may have difficulty remembering which form is the singular and which is the plural.

Free morpheme
A morpheme which can stand alone to make a word all by itself. For example, the English verb happy is a free morpheme because it can stand alone. A free morpheme may sometimes combine with other morphemes in a larger word. For example, happy can combine with the morpheme un to form the larger word unhappy.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 pm

"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby marvin8 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:15 pm

meeks wrote:So I was looking up a word to translate it... The translation site showed various examples. There was a column with the heading of "grammar" and on each row it would have either 'adj', 'v', 'n' - those made sense.... But sometimes I'd see an 'f' in that column.

What does the 'f' mean? I've no idea how to Google that with a proper result.

google search: "sanskrit" "grammar" noun verb adjective

स्वाधीनता f. svAdhInatA freedom

feminine noun.

Excerpt from "Sanskrit nouns," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit_nouns:

Wikipedia wrote:Jump to navigationJump to search
Sanskrit is a highly inflected language with three grammatical genders (masculine, feminine, neuter) and three numbers (singular, plural, dual). It has eight cases: nominative, vocative, accusative, instrumental, dative, ablative, genitive, and locative.[1] . . .

a-stems
A-stems (/ə/ or /aː/) comprise the largest class of nouns. As a rule, nouns belonging to this class, with the uninflected stem ending in short-a (/ə/), are either masculine or neuter. Nouns ending in long-A (/aː/) are almost always feminine. A-stem adjectives take the masculine and neuter in short-a (/ə/), and feminine in long-A (/aː/) in their stems. This class is so big because it also comprises the Proto-Indo-European o-stems. . . .
marvin8
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic