Sub 35k USD Tesla Model 3

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Sub 35k USD Tesla Model 3

Postby everything on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Well what do you guys think?

If I had 35k and wanted to buy a new car right now, I would do it. Seems like a no brainer.

On the website, you can order the standard range car in black for $25k.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Sub 35k USD Tesla Model 3

Postby Michael on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:46 pm

Look at the problems people are having with their cars. In addition to the $35 K announcement, they're also closing nearly all of their retail stores. Tesla is not viable. Musk is not reliable. But maybe this will propel the self-driving and safety technology forward.
Michael

Postby everything on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:00 pm

I don't really care what Wall St thinks of Musk, and those laid off salespeople can easily get another job in the hottest labor market since dot com days, especially if they can really sell, so I don't worry about them. He's seemingly on a mission to get the lower cost EVs here as fast as possible rather than being on a mission to maximize shareholder value like you're "supposed to do". As long as someone can repair/replace (what is there to do) the parts, it's ok. See below*

Probably Honda or Toyota will come in and achieve everything he's trying to do and more, as there is no particular reason that first mover advantage means anything in this game. But if I were buying a car now, the 3 or the Leaf is looking better and better all the time. Yes, I'd rather have an Ariel Atom, but those are too expensive.

* Expensive battery replacement is my last huge concern.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Actually, the PRC will produce over a million new Evehicles this year, and is actively encouraging their use through discounts, rebates and other incentives. Tesla may be a modern Edsel, but it's only for those who can afford the risk more than the cost.

Yeah, batteries are a problem. They are not eco friendly to produce, inevitably degrade, and are expensive to replace. However, battery technology will inevitably improve and they'll become less expensive. Imo, hybrids using hydrogen will be the most efficient and eco friendly.

However, there's nothing like the torque of a Tesla. But, if you want a thrill, a C6+ series Vette will do you proud for an insanely reasonable price --for a super car. If you want economy, get a Prius :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Tesla is much bigger than Musk and they will continue without Musk in fact it is looking like that is what is going to happen.

As a union guy I am not a fan of Musk and I actually know people who worked at their plant. Sounds a bit like working at Amazon but for a few more dollars. These places make billions but don't even offer a pension? To me it isn't much different than working for Walmart except you get $10 more an hour, which seems like a lot but really isn't.

From what I hear the 35K is comes without any features and as soon as you want any features or a paint job they price jumps. But yes, I would still want one but I think I would prefer at least an AC so I will pass for now but maybe I will own one is 10 years.

I went to Target last night and they had 10 Tesla charging stations. Does anyone know if a Tesla charging stations can charge Teslas only? If the answer is no, that's messed up and shows the greed these companies have.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:54 pm

For the labor issue, it seems more complicated than Tesla, but I don't know. Honda will shut down its Swindon, UK plant in a couple of years, citing the shift to EVs.

It seems many jobs will be eliminated as we phase out gas engines.

Usually I'm big on the robots eliminating the human jobs issue but I just don't know what to think.

We need to find a way toward more sustainable energy and cleaner vehicles.

In that sense, it seems huge that Musk has pushed the industry forward, despite some decisions not being short term profit maximizing.

I work more or less as a greedy capitalist, but this development seems good.

We do have to create new jobs. Hopefully the changes are good in this regard.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Some good news:

Manufacturing employment is up again for 18 months in a row.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-ameri ... lead_pos10

More Americans Are Back at Work Making Stuff
Manufacturing employment has risen for 18 straight months, the longest stretch of gains among nonsupervisory roles since the mid-1990s
By Chip Cutter
March 1, 2019 5:30 a.m. ET
America’s factories are hiring again.

After years of job losses, U.S. manufacturing employment has risen for 18 straight months among those holding production or nonsupervisory jobs, the longest stretch of gains since the mid-1990s. Employers have added 274,000 non-managerial manufacturing jobs since July 2017, Labor Department figures show.

While...
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm

What do you think of the latest soap opera?

Tesla Says Never Mind: It Raises Prices and Keeps Most Stores

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/busi ... rices.html

So basically it was going to lay off employees and close a lot of stores to reduce prices of the car by 6%. However, now it's saying it will raise most prices 3% and keep more stores open.

Flip flopping by Musk? All an elaborate plan to announce 35k, then basically raise prices? Consumer backlash? Wall ST backlash?

Kinda all hilarious, but it's all making me more interested in EVs and Teslas, I have to admit.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic