Model Y

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Model Y

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 am

roger hao wrote:My 6.2 litre Corvette gets 28 mpg

Hey Roger, what do you think of this?
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/10 ... horsepower
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:08 am

roger hao wrote:My 6.2 litre Corvette gets 28 mpg

In real driving? My 1.8L Acura Integra got 28 mpg in the city if I was really light-footed. That was about 20 years ago.
Michael

Postby everything on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 am

yikes. my rsx only gets 22.

now that hybrid vette looks like fun.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Real driving?

You mean 140 mph on Mopac Expy?
It turns 1800RPM @ 70mph approx.

Average is around 22mpg
Would love to have a Tesla. It is over $100K for ModelX a PModelX is like $150K
I could have a ZR1 for that. While the ModelX has formidable performance a ZR1 is a beast.
We are building a new house right now and seriously thinking about a couple Tesla batteries
with standalone solar flowers and a Model 3 in the garage. The Tesla Batt for the home can be justified but I will never save enough gas money to justify the car. Brand new 4Runner TRD was $38K - I see a 2015 full size Tesla with auto-pilot for $38K right now. 2012's are going for $32K. The word is that used Tesla is a smart buy
roger hao

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 pm

klonk wrote:I have figured out how to drive long cross-country distances in an electric car. You tow a trailer that carries a gasoline-powered electric generator, that you can fuel up at any gas station along your route. :D

Or move to the Netherlands
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/10/08/netherlands-top-for-electric-vehicle-charger-density-infographic/#4fd61348238b
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm

140 on Mopac? I used to live in Austin, but from what I can tell/hear, Mopac is basically a parking lot now.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:48 pm

I've done 130 on Mopac in an '86 Mustang GT, and was close to the top end. Made it from North Dallas to UT Austin in 2 hours flat back in '90. You know how fast you have to drive to average 100? That little five point oh barely had the legs.

Getting onto a track is def. on my bucket list.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby roger hao on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:59 am

Funny - I did the AUS to DFW commute for 2 years.
Friday and Mon morning.
Also tried to make the fast run in a supercharged Mustang.
You have to run around 135mph to do it.
I failed @ 3:30 AM got lassooed by DPS State Troopers.
On South Mopac they created a sweet race track loop
with the new flyovers. In the AM there is sparse traffic.
At 140mph a C6 is still pulling strong.
There is a dedicated toll lane now on Mopac and of course
130 is basically an American autobahn with 85mph speed limit.
95 is average out there. They even shut it down a couple times
so tuners could do speed runs.
roger hao

Postby everything on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 pm

interesting. I could only hit 100+ in montana and switzerland.

in switzerland it was safer because traffic . was so orderly. I got passed by a silver haired couple in a mercedes. they would be doing half that speed in the us
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:20 pm

and prices are going up already.

The Model Y didn't even make it out of its debut month before Tesla decided to adjust the pricing, and the new numbers don't make the electric vehicles any more attractive. All levels of Model Y available on the online configurator received $1,000 price bumps that were implemented without any sort of announcement. Elon Musk also announced on Twitter a 3 percent price hike to all inventory vehicles.

Without considering the misleading "gas savings" that are automatically included in Tesla's configurators, the rear-drive long-range Model Y initially was announced to start at $47,000. The all-wheel-drive dual-motor long-range model was $51,000, and the all-wheel-drive dual-motor performance model was $60,000. All of these prices come before any taxes and fees.

After the price increases, the Model Y will start at $48,000, $52,000, and $61,000, respectively. Although the base standard-range Model Y is not in the configurator yet, it was initially announced to start at $39,000. Don't be surprised if this follows suit and goes up to a flat $40,000. For all models, the initial deposit remains $2,500, and production is still scheduled to begin in late 2020.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/25/tes ... -y-prices/
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Steve - Sorry didn't see your post before.
The electric Corvette created big buzz in corvette community.
Porsche 918 Spyder is a space ship.
There is a youtube of it being built.
I have been trying to get Zombie 222 interested into electrifying my boat.
So far no reply.

I didnt mean to create anti-Tesla sentiment except that there are performance
cars out there and Tesla is not really one except in straight line.
roger hao

Postby roger hao on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Steve - Sorry didn't see your post before.
The electric Corvette created big buzz in corvette community.
Porsche 918 Spyder is a space ship.
There is a youtube of it being built.
I have been trying to get Zombie 222 interested into electrifying my boat.
So far no reply.

I didnt mean to create anti-Tesla sentiment except that there are performance
cars out there and Tesla is not really one except in straight line.
Steam has similar attributes of instant torque. There is a White Mountain
steam car meet every year and those things fly up the mountain roads.

This topic got me looking into Tesla S cars used. The advice is that used is
a solid buy @ $37K. Reasons are that Tesla owners and also Tesla take care
of them, they are lo-mileage, they can be upgraded.
roger hao

Postby klonk on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Today, and because of this thread, I noticed for the first time that there is a Tesla charging station in a shopping center I visit occasionally. The station consists of two posts in the ground, cables, reserved parking spaces, but as I walked around it I saw no place to insert a credit card. How is the power billed to the user? My guess is that the car self-identifies itself to the charger.

But hey, if we're talking about free 240v, I'll put my clothes dryer in the trunk of my Chevy Impala and drive it there.

I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 pm

As a Sherlockian, I noted that the Tesla charging station showed no sign of recent use. Dust caked by recent rain was amid the cables.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:22 am

klonk wrote:because of this thread, I noticed for the first time that there is a Tesla charging station in a shopping center I visit occasionally.

RSF. Changing the world, one thread at a time.
Dmitri
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic