Cultural Appropriation

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Cultural Appropriation

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:30 am

Um, don't get it twisted. It's not a complaint. Everyone on this board is a cultural appropriator :).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=u1LqF03UUdc[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1LqF03UUdc
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:05 am

Don't get this twisted: cultural appropriation is not the same as cultural appreciation.

the Cambridge Dictionary defines cultural appropriation as “the act of taking or using things from a culture that is not your own, especially without showing that you understand or respect this culture.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cultural ... 4659c72fb3

And a decent primer from Wiki

Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[2][3][4] is the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.[5][2][3]

Cultural appropriation is often considered harmful, and to be a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating, minority cultures, notably indigenous cultures and those living under colonial rule.[2][6][7] Often unavoidable when multiple cultures come together, cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' cultural and religious traditions, fashion, symbols, language, and music.[8][9][10]

According to critics of the practice, cultural appropriation differs from acculturation, assimilation, or cultural exchange in that this appropriation is a form of colonialism: cultural elements are copied from a minority culture by members of a dominant culture, and these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressly stated wishes of members of the originating culture.[3][11][12][13][14][15][16]

Often, the original meaning of these cultural elements is lost or distorted, and such displays are often viewed as disrespectful, or even as a form of desecration, by members of the originating culture.[11][17][18][1] Cultural elements which may have deep meaning to the original culture may be reduced to "exotic" fashion or toys by those from the dominant culture.[11][12][19] Kjerstin Johnson has written that, when this is done, the imitator, "who does not experience that oppression is able to 'play', temporarily, an 'exotic' other, without experiencing any of the daily discriminations faced by other cultures."[19] The African-American academic, musician and journalist Greg Tate argues that appropriation and the "fetishising" of cultures, in fact, alienates those whose culture is being appropriated.[20]
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am

It's deeply offensive to see a low rider bouncing down the left side of the road. If you gonna steal my heritage, do it on the right side. ;D
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:37 am

I don't appropriate anything that I don't appreciate. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:41 am

Steve James wrote:I don't appropriate anything that I don't appreciate. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

Amen.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:11 am

Cultural appropriation is only negative when "appropriation" is considered theft. People consider something stolen when there is a commodity that is taken from them or, more specifically, someone profits from something that is not theirs.

The premier examples were in the entertainment industry, for example, when an artist creates a musical form but someone else profits from it. Such as when one artist fronts for or covers another artist's work. Appropriation is theft when the original artist doesn't receive recognition, credit, or reward for his or her work. The Rolling Stones "culturally appropriated" Muddy Waters --down to the name of the band. However, they acknowledged it and even helped support him.

Someone coming to the States and "becoming American" is appropriating a culture, but it's not stealing. A Japanese who likes to dress like a Chicano is, ime, no difference than the French guys (like Johnny Holliday) who dress up --even today-- like James Dean. It's an homage.

Btw, it has nothing to do with Blackface because in the US, it became used as a form of comedy. But, I point out that it was a form of admiration. Putting on that mask made one an entertainer who could sing and dance in ways he couldn't with his own face. You have to ask why it was the most popular form of American entertainment. So popular, that even Black people had to wear Blackface. So influential that it's featured in the first talking American film ("The Jazz Singer"). So, I tell my students that when they see someone wearing blackface, they should smile. He's not laughing at you. It's not denigration; it's admiration.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:59 pm

And then there's Wayne Cochran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_GstlPL64
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Do you happen to recall three years ago was probably the first time we discussed cultural appropriation on this board? It was when a white boy with corn rows was verbally and physically accosted by a black girl who didn't want him to attend whatever event for which she was passing out leaflets. The Hodge Twins have a humorous take on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2C1S8dWANU

The recent accusations about cultural appropriation are things like Americans criticizing another American for wearing a qipao, a traditional Chinese dress to her prom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6dAB1QxxpY

This would be funny, except the people who make and support the accusations of cultural appropriation are malicious, vindictive, violent, and operate online with a mob mentality to demonize white people in sombreros, or ruin the business of two white women in Portland who had a burrito van, which they did.

One of the most famous incidents of cultural appropriation faux outrage was the Yale Halloween costume e-mail of 2015. Following student meetings and administrative distress over the children's concern about culturally appropriating costumes, a professor and student residence admin Erika Christakis wrote an e-mail suggesting in the most benign terms that they all chill out a bit. Because of that, she was forced to leave Yale, although her husband was also a prof. and residence admin, so he remained.

A year later, students surrounded her husband and shouted absurd accusations at him for a few minutes and demanded his resignation because of his wife's e-mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMc8pczn-hs

The magnitude of these students' faux outrage over a non-issue is highlighted by the obvious recognition that they are in one of the best universities in the world, the world is essentially their oyster, but cultural appropriation is supposed to be a great concern to them. But that's obviously now what cultural appropriation is about. About a year after this public ambush cum struggle session, Professor Christakis resigned from Yale.
Michael

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:11 pm

So popular, that even Black people had to wear Blackface. So influential that it's featured in the first talking American film ("The Jazz Singer"). So, I tell my students that when they see someone wearing blackface, they should smile. He's not laughing at you. It's not denigration; it's admiration.

A little while ago, the Governor of Virginia said in a televised interview that babies born alive would be kept comfortable while the mother and doctor discussed whether or not to kill it. During the time this controversy took hold, it was suddenly revealed that there was a picture of the governor in black face in his 35 year old med school year book. This discovery was quickly followed by a sexual assault controversy concerning his Lieutenant Governor, and finally an admission of the Virginia Attorney General that he had also worn black face. Who cares? Black face outrage is not real; it was merely a distraction from a controversy about legalizing infanticide.

When not a distraction, black face, like cultural appropriation, is a pose used as a weapon to make whites feel guilty. It does not cut both ways, cultural appropriation does not apply to anyone except whites, and whites are the only people foolish enough to actually believe it's real. Does the black girl berating and grabbing the white boy in dreads at SFSU look like she believes in reciprocity or in power?

I tell my students that when they see someone wearing blackface, they should smile. He's not laughing at you. It's not denigration; it's admiration.

I think that's really true, people do admire the strengths and beauty of other people, but I wasn't around back then.

Here's 7 minutes of commentary on the film that popularized black face and explains how the movie was explicitly about Jewish culture and a Jewish man who imitated the style of black singers.

No White Guilt for Black Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAAAtqSeRKI
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:17 pm

I explained what I thought, Mike. I didn't have to hate on anyone. Are you asking whether I approve of people getting beat up for the clothes they wear? Ok. If you want to show how ignorant people can be, fine.

If you want me to say that people who identify something or some act as cultural appropriation are wrong, I can't. I was only discussing what it was, and why people shouldn't get upset about it. So, I have no clue what your point is to me, and I don't even know if you know what you think cultural appropriation is and whether it's good or not.

Do I remember the discussion of cultural imperialism years ago? Yep, I remember most discussions, unfortunately. It's been my business.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:26 pm

Last edited by Taste of Death on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm

black face, like cultural appropriation, is a pose used as a weapon to make whites feel guilty

So, every Halloween, you have White people who blacken their faces, etc, mock Black people, and then claim that those who are offended make them feel guilty. It doesn't seem to work. But, that's the same as saying that Japanese people shouldn't feel offended when people pull their eyes back and speak "ching chong." But, yes, many White people will feel guilty for things that White people have done. Blackface may be one of them. But, there's no reason for them to continue the tradition, is there? Isn't in fact that the reason people complain?

Besides, to be honest, it makes White people look stupid. So, the emotion they should feel is embarrassment.

It does not cut both ways, cultural appropriation does not apply to anyone except whites, and whites are the only people foolish enough to actually believe it's real.

Ah, the last part shows that you never read what I said about it. I'm not sure you watched the video. You are clearly spouting pre-conceived rhetoric about the evils of "cultural appropriation." How you believe that it's only about whites when the video was about Japanese imitating Chicanos shows there is no need for me to continue.
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm

I didn't have to hate on anyone.

Sure, but this is a hateful topic. It's funny when it doesn't hurt you or your people, but it's still pure hate.

If you want me to say that people who identify something or some act as cultural appropriation are wrong, I can't. I was only discussing what it was, and why people shouldn't get upset about it.

Yes, I understand that and I like your take on it. I also know that you will not say it is wrong. Why not?

I have no clue what your point is to me, and I don't even know if you know what you think cultural appropriation is and whether it's good or not.

Cultural appropriation is all about hating on white people. It only goes one way and it is harmful. I gave you an example of two white women who lost their burrito truck and two white professors who lost their jobs at Yale. The list goes on.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:49 pm

I participated in student demonstrations, etc., during the late 60s, and I know that they can still be very unreasonable. That said, note what the professor says in his book. Compare it to how people want to use the incident with the students, whom he had invited to talk.

“Blueprint” — and its theory about the evolutionary origins of virtue — became his balm. That’s clear in the book itself, which makes unmistakable allusions to the Yale ugliness. “I have seen the effects of overidentifying with one’s group and witnessed mass delusions up close,” he writes. He rues America’s intense polarization, which perhaps makes this “an odd time for me to advance the view that there is more that unites us than divides us.” But advance that view he does.

His reasoning, oversimplified, is this: Complex societies are possible and durable only when people are emotionally invested in, and help, one another; we’d be living in smaller units and more solitary fashions if we weren’t equipped for such collaboration; and human thriving within these societies guarantees future generations suited to them.

Iinm, the controversy at Yale was over whether students should be sensitive at Halloween celebrations, and be ordered not to wear blackface, etc. I might be wrong. So, the professor criticized the decision by the college. The students took offense, and they confronted him. It was tense, but it was just like any "discussion" where the other side just doesn't want to understand the other side.

I agree with the professor. As I said, it's hilarious to me when white people smear black on their face and act a fool. It'd be unkind to stop them. But, I will ridicule them at my leisure for the comedians they are. And, I won't feel one bit guilty for it.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Cultural appropriation is all about hating on white people. It only goes one way and it is harmful.

Make up your mind. I thought it was about making white people feel guilty ... but guilty about what exactly?

I guess you mean that only white people are accused of cultural appropriation. That is obviously not true per my first video. White people have nothing to do with the concept of cultural appropriation. It's probably true that they are accused of doing it, but it isn't about hating white people or making them feel guilty, though that may be the result.

Anyway, it's far more complex than what you think. There's cultural appropriation and then there's stereotyping. The Irish, Italians, and Poles, could always say that the common stereotypes were harmful and offensive. It wasn't about hating the Americans or making the English feel guilty. Nowadays, it seems that people are offended because they are offensive to others. "How dare you make me feel this way." Give me a break.

Btw, have you ever seen the movie "10" that came out in the 70s? The gorgeous Beau Derrick wore her hair in cornrows, and Americans went crazy. 1) It was during the time when Afros, etc., were in style --and was this White woman "copping our style." 2) At the time, Black people could be fired for wearing "natural" (i.e., unnaturally processed) hair. So, people were pissed that in order for it to be acceptable, this woman had to wear it. As an aside, I once had a student who was in human resources who said that she wouldn't hire anyone with "natural" hair. She was Black.
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic