your favorite ways to make GIF from video?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

your favorite ways to make GIF from video?

Postby everything on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:37 am

What are they? Are they free/ad-supported?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: your favorite ways to make GIF from video?

Postby Michael on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:43 pm

My phone has it built into the video editor program.
Michael

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:25 pm

I'm currently using vlc to save clips, ffmpeg to split those into frames, and GImp to make the frames into a gif.
I'm intending to write a little python app to make it quicker. Will let you know if I do.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 pm

oh wow, you're doing that very manually! hopefully your output is much better.

I was checking out gifs.com, makeagif.com, giphy, etc.

So far, makeagif.com was best for me (10s max time, but easily let me seek through my full youtube clip vs. others took way too long to load youtube and failed if it was a long video).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Well, making the clip is the hard part, getting just a couple seconds out of a 10 minute video, then it's just one command line to split it into frames, and in the gimp I can crop exactly what I want instead of being stuck with the whole thing. Gimp also does pretty good color level adjustment so you don't get as many hard borders in the final product.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:10 am

Upload clip to youtube then use this:

https://giphy.com/create/gifmaker/
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 am

Giphy is simple, but you'll upload the clip to their website while doing it. So if you don't care about the rights to the clip etc, it's ok. You don't need to upload to YouTube, you can upload a short clip from your own computer. When you're done you'll have to download it manually to your computer if you want to keep it yourself. There are no download links, only share and embed options. Giphy is ok for making funny memes, but I wouldn't use it for more personal stuff.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:44 am

Bao wrote:Giphy is simple, but you'll upload the clip to their website while doing it. So if you don't care about the rights to the clip etc, it's ok. You don't need to upload to YouTube, you can upload a short clip from your own computer. When you're done you'll have to download it manually to your computer if you want to keep it yourself. There are no download links, only share and embed options. Giphy is ok for making funny memes, but I wouldn't use it for more personal stuff.

Are you suggesting you upload a gif to youtube (if not which host?) instead of Giphy, so you can control it's copyrights? Is there a way to host a video or gif on one's youtube channel without anyone browsing/accessing your other videos or gifs?

Is there a way to post a gif to the forum while hiding it's gif address? This would prevent people from using and posting it somewhere else.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:03 am

No if you make the gif through uploading to Giphy the gif stays there on Giphy and anyone can search it up and use it.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:47 am

Bao wrote:No if you make the gif through uploading to Giphy the gif stays there on Giphy and anyone can search it up and use it.

Yes. But if you don't name, tag, or make a description (which I don't for privacy), there's no words to search, right? Someone would have to stumble across it.

You can create an account on Giphy, make the gif private (unsearchable), then post/share the link. After posting it to a forum, those that copy the link can still use it or share it. Unless, the link could be hidden, which I don't believe is the case.
marvin8
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic