Watching Chernobyl

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Watching Chernobyl

Postby Steve James on Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 pm

The guy who used to be a baker(?) who's now "the man in charge" is just too familiar.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Watching Chernobyl

Postby everything on Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am

is this the HBO show? I have HBO Now for GoT only, but maybe will keep it for a little while
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue May 14, 2019 9:27 am

everything wrote:is this the HBO show? I have HBO Now for GoT only, but maybe will keep it for a little while

Yep, the HBO series.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 am

want to provide a little longer review?

did you ever view that old site where the girl rides her motorcycle through the chernobyl area with her father (scientist)'s geiger counter, and takes a bunch of interesting photos?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 am

What I found familiar was that people who knew nothing about the situation made every attempt to minimize the dangers. The scientists and nuclear physicists were (almost) ignored by politicians and party bureaucrats. Fortunately, there were a few scientists (who in the series are condensed into a couple) who got some attention. We (i.e., the world) was lucky. There could have been an explosion that would have made from Kiev to Minsk, and most of the Ukraine, uninhabitable for decades or more.

Well, I shouldn't have said the world. The Earth recovers quickly to almost anything. It's just that human habitation becomes problematic. Anyway, for me, it's emblematic of the climate controversy today. I.e., sure, any dummy can say there's nothing to worry about.
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic