The revenge of history

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The revenge of history

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 am

A Conversation with Michael Weiss and Yascha Mounk.

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Michael Weiss and Yascha Mounk about the state of global politics. They discuss the rise of right-wing populism in Europe, the prospect that democracy could fail in the US, Trump’s political instincts, the political liability of “wokeness,” the Left’s failure to re-think its support of Chavez, the dangers of political polarization, the attractions of extreme partisanship, cancel culture, and other topics.

I found this a really enjoyable podcast between 3 very rational people who truly recognize the dangers in the rise of extreme right-wing populism in the west. But more importantly, I think it sheds light on the failing of the tactics of those on the far left in combating figures like Farage in the UK, La Penne in France or any number of political figures around Europe who are gaming democracy to their own disingenuous causes. Milkshakes and marches just aint gonna cut it.

Those of a political bent may well enjoy too.

https://samharris.org/podcasts/the-revenge-of-history/

Thanks.

Michael Weiss is an internationally respected investigative journalist who has covered the wars in Syria and Ukraine and published widely on Russian espionage and disinformation. His first book, ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror (co-written with Hassan Hassan), was a New York Times bestseller and named one of the Top Ten Books on Terrorism by the Wall Street Journal as well as one of the Best Books of 2015 by The Times of London. Weiss is a regular guest on CNN, MSNBC, the BBC and Real Time with Bill Maher. He writes a column for The Daily Beast.

Yascha Mounk is a writer, academic, and public speaker known for his work on the rise of populism and the crisis of liberal democracy. He is an Associate Professor at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, a senior fellow at the German Marshall Fund, and a senior advisor at Protect Democracy. A frequent contributor to The Atlantic, the New York Times, and Die Zeit, Mounk is the host of Slate’s The Good Fight Podcast. He has written three books: Stranger in My Own Country, The Age of Responsibility, and The People versus Democracy, which explains the causes of the populist rise and investigates how to renew liberal democracy."
Last edited by middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Re: The revenge of history

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:40 am

Good topic, but I've tried listening to Sam Harris before and can't endure more. Anyone who needs to and then fails to agree within an hour and a half whether or not there is such a thing as the truth (his first conversation with Jordan Peterson) is someone I find very difficult to listen to. Michael Shermer also comes to mind. I tried a few times.

Do you feel like summarizing any of the discussion? Such as one or more of the dangers of the far right and the context in which it was talked about.

Cheers.
Michael

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 am

Good topic, but I've tried listening to Sam Harris before and can't endure more. Anyone who needs to and then fails to agree within an hour and a half whether or not there is such a thing as the truth (his first conversation with Jordan Peterson) is someone I find very difficult to listen to. Michael Shermer also comes to mind. I tried a few times.

Do you feel like summarizing any of the discussion? Such as one or more of the dangers of the far right and the context in which it was talked about.

Cheers.

I think you mentioned that last time i posted one of his podcasts ... for the record there have been several podcasts where he is like a dog with a bone on some topic or other, the Jordan one was excruciating and I too turned it off! haha they are awful.

But I haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater there and there are some insightful discussions too IMO. This being one of them which is mainly concerned with the opinions of the two guests.

I dont particularly have the time to summarize the discussion, but i think this might be a nice one to jump back into for you if you have the time. If you self identify with a particular political group, especially if you are to the right, it may grate a little, but it still and insightful discussion none the less.

I enjoyed it because they are both extremely informed on the subject and not simply spouting the unsubstantiated headlines. Both of these people were in this field before the Trump era of polarization and that places them well to talk on the subject. None of them are trump supporters it must be said, however.

all the best.

Chris.
Last edited by middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:05 am

Okay, I've got a few beers handy, so I'll give it a listen. Not promising to finish the whole thing.

I guess I'm repeating myself about that Sam Harris and Peterson talk, but since then I saw some intellectual dark web video where Harris said that basically his birth is a random event [implying that his parents and forebears had nothing to do with it] and because he landed in one set of circumstances, completely by random(!), it is not fair for other people not to have the same things as he.

Too be honest, I think misguided, altruistic mush-headedness like Harris' is worse than selfishness. It's so ironic to me that he despises the post-modernists for their dribble drabble.
Michael

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 am

Waste of 20 minutes.
Michael

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Waste of 20 minutes.

Hahaha fair enough. I would steer clear then.

Too be honest, I think misguided, altruistic mush-headedness like Harris'

I'm not here to fight his corner. People like different things, I often enjoy his conversations.

Cheers
Last edited by middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:04 pm

You started the conversation, but are you providing any meat?

You don't have to defend Harris exactly, but can't you elucidate a single point from the podcast that I could digest in less than 30 minutes and respond to? Time code please :)

I'll do my best not to make you, or anyone else, invoke Godwin's law.
Michael

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I posted for those interested, not to debate the topic.

Because frankly I dont have the time, I dont come back here enough to keep the conversation going, and it would require dedicated commitment to correctly Express my somewhat nuanced political position. My time debating discussing political subjects on internet forums is long gone ;) but if things pop up I enjoy I will share them.

Sorry if that isn't a satisfying conclusion mate.

All the best.
Last edited by middleway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm

That's cool, Chris. Have a good one.
Michael

Return to Off the Topic