Hong Kong Protests

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Hong Kong Protests

Postby Trick on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 am

grzegorz wrote:
Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Funny I remember Swedes having a business in Shanghai. They paid their workers shit and treated them like shit. I was surprised and shocked. I figured they, being westerners, would be different.

What Swedish company was that, I curiously ask ?

it was a small one.

Maybe that’s why the low salaries ?
Trick

Postby Trick on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 am

grzegorz wrote:
It is worth mentioning that the other economic centers of China were modelled after HK.

it goes back to when foreign powers had settled in China, HK and Shanghai went hand in hand, HSBC and business families such as the Kardoories comes to mind
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:31 am

Franklin wrote:this is just too funny that people are arguing about this

especially when during the umbrella protests
the local people of mangkok area even went on the news speaking with beijing accent about how they are against the protestors...
lol

that should have pretty much settled everything
;D

Down in Malmö which is located in the Swedish southern province of Skåne, a province that still some advocate for its independence or perhaps once again be Danish land, there you can find quite many that speak Rikssvenska - kind of the Swedish they speak in Stockholm the capital of Sweden.
Also in Malmö you can find many who basically just speak Arabic with some English......Kind of how some of those Indian tailors you find in HK who speak Indian/English.
Trick

Postby Michael on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 am

Michael

Postby windwalker on Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:54 am

. Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced Wednesday that the government would fully withdraw the bill that launched the ongoing pro-democracy movement from the legislature, ceding to one of the five demands protesters have been posing to the government for the past three months.

Seems like a mistake, although it may help to quiet things down a little bit while other financial centers are being established.

The real problem is that they seek an autonomy that they cannot support or defend.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:30 am

HK riots, Brexit, and Financial Centers of the world....connection?

In case of an Brexit The City of London might somewhat loose it’s top financial center status....or not?
And as the case is, that is that HK gradually and finally once again will fully be Chinese land.
And that would mean that HK the third largest financial center in the world, the financial little brother of The City of London, the very creation by The City is lost to China, as Shanghai already has been for a long time.

So The City with its close brother in arms Wall Street went to DC demanded action taken against the Middle Kingdom.
We need HK fully back, we don’t want to lose HK, damn how those 99 years of fun went quick and soon has those 50 transitionals years flied by too.....Do something, it’s for our all’s survival, the empire’s survival! The City frantically yelled while Wall Street nodded along
Yes yes, we’re with you! DC said, we already have a team in HK.......
And London! DC said,...Brexit or not, we’re always backing you and the Queen....as you would also do for us, Right?! long live the empire!...Right!
Trick

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:02 am

Do you mean that things are working out as planned by the US/UK? Well, imo, the injuries are self-inflicted.

The HK governor's withdrawal of the extradition law is certainly a concession. Does that mean that China lost and the CIA won? It seems to me that the governor of HK, which is still allowed its own government, conceded to the will of HKers. People can argue that it was the CIA that spurred the protests. However, the concession allows the government to act more forcefully against protesters. It takes away their reason. The PRC would be obliged to intervene if the protests led to too much disorder, regardless of the financial aspect.

Afa the relation to Brexit, do you think it's like HK doesn't want to be part of China? I've heard that China considers all ethnic Chinese to be Chinese. If Europe were a country, then Englanders would be Europeans. But, I think people don't think of themselves that simply. I hear the Scots are staying in the EU, and I'm not sure about Ireland.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:52 am

China considers all holders of Chinese citizenship, even if given up for a foreign passport, to be Chinese. Additionally, they also consider the children of Chinese nationals born abroad to be Chinese regardless of their legal citizenship.

As for ethnicity within China, a definite pecking order exists with Han Chinese on top, followed by Manchurians and then pretty much everyone else. It is a bigger deal than most Chinese people will admit to outsiders and can effect things such as university admittance, etc.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:25 pm

China considers all holders of Chinese citizenship, even if given up for a foreign passport, to be Chinese. Additionally, they also consider the children of Chinese nationals born abroad to be Chinese regardless of their legal citizenship.

Yes, I've heard that. It means that citizenship is a relatively useless term. What good does it do for a Chinese person (let's assume Han Chinese) to apply for US citizenship? In the context of the HK demonstrations and the extradition requests, I seriously doubt that logical people in the US would accept that as a rationalization if China demanded the extradition of a Chinese person because he offended or broke some Chinese law.

"China" may claim people of Chinese descent, but that doesn't mean anyone (individual) has to go along with it. That's not even to bring up the situation of Chinese people who marry non-Chinese. Germany had the "blut" (blood) laws years ago. It just meant that German identity and citizenship was constituted by having German blood. Is there such a law in China?

Sure, there are many ethnicities in China. There's even Southern and Northern varieties, not to mention Mongols. At some points, it's hard to tell the difference between Chinese and Russians. Just saying. At any rate, I'm not sure where being Chinese ends.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Peacedog wrote:China considers all holders of Chinese citizenship, even if given up for a foreign passport, to be Chinese. Additionally, they also consider the children of Chinese nationals born abroad to be Chinese regardless of their legal citizenship.

can you please share with us where you get this from?
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:49 pm

Strange wrote:China considers all holders of Chinese citizenship, even if given up for a foreign passport, to be Chinese. Additionally, they also consider the children of Chinese nationals born abroad to be Chinese regardless of their legal citizenship.

Not legally. If you lose your Chinese citizenship, you'll lose your Hukou. If you don't have Hukou in a Chinese city you can't register you on a permit address and not your children. You can't buy houses or apartments in China and you are not allowed to stay longer than a short term Visa. You can't do anything more in China than a foreigner. Legally, you are considered a foreigner. Some Chinese try to keep their Chinese ID cards and renew them. The government is trying to reduce this and they keep track of all expats. They also have very tough control of passports and visa nowadays, so you can't even travel between cities without being discovered. Everyone, Chinese or foreigner who overstays a visa is sent away. This is one of the main reasons why foreigners who lives in China has dropped. Far less foreigners in China the last years. Much tougher and stricter controls.

Then everyone believes that all Chinese nationalities are Chinese, Hua, through history and culture. That's another thing. It has nothing to do with law or legal things. One family, but treated very differently.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:54 am

Bao wrote: They also have very tough control of passports and visa nowadays, so you can't even travel between cities without being discovered. Everyone, Chinese or foreigner who overstays a visa is sent away. This is one of the main reasons why foreigners who lives in China has dropped. Far less foreigners in China the last years. Much tougher and stricter controls.

Yes maybe lesser Europeans and USAans here now, but I see more Africans, middle easterners and also Russians now, maybe they stick out more now when the other being fewer? So I don’t know how about tougher and strikter, earlier this year I got my resident permit renewed as easily as usual.
Trick

Postby Bao on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:06 am

So I don’t know how about tougher and strikter, earlier this year I got my resident permit renewed as easily as usual.

Inside of the country. For everyone. For instance, now all Chinese need ID card even to buy a train ticket and they check foreign passports extra carefully. And they often have police walking the trains. If they see foreigners they must check their passports and visa. This summer, when I was travelling, for one and the same train ride, I believe I had my passport and visa checked at least five or six times, from being the tickets to go out from the main destination. Controls everywhere. And again, not for foreigners only, for Chinese as well. They keep track of people's hukou, credit score etc. But for foreigners it will eventually become easier to receive certain types of visa and resident permit. Just because they have a tougher system of keeping track of everyone.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:10 am

Bao wrote:
So I don’t know how about tougher and strikter, earlier this year I got my resident permit renewed as easily as usual.

Inside of the country. For everyone. For instance, now all Chinese need ID card even to buy a train ticket and they check foreign passports extra carefully. And they often have police walking the trains. If they see foreigners they must check their passports and visa. This summer, when I was travelling, for one and the same train ride, I believe I had my passport and visa checked at least five or six times, from being the tickets to go out from the main destination. Controls everywhere. And again, not for foreigners only, for Chinese as well. They keep track of people's hukou, credit score etc. But for foreigners it will eventually become easier to receive certain types of visa and resident permit. Just because they have a tougher system of keeping track of everyone.

Damn how quick i forget, must be age related(was train riding in Sweden 2 years ago, so I could ver well be wrong here, but isn’t that the procedure in Sweden too, ID yourself to buy train ticket?....Something about to hinder a “black market” on train tickets, probably that’s(one of the)the same reason to show ID when purchasing an train ticket in China. Isn’t it a good idea?

Now I travel by train a lot here in China, no police “walking the trains” although there is (one or two)security personell aboard....at least just as at the train Copenhagen-Malmö, maybe also in the rest of Sweden? ....And on the trains here I only need to show my ticket once to the train conductor, no visa/passport check.

But then I look and behave as an nice guy, could be why I get the easy treatment 8-)
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:28 am

Just to continue the non HK topic a little. If any of you consider train riding in Sweden, be prepared for a bad ride, you might be on a stand still in the middle of nowhere for hours, since the train track and signaling network is out of age by at least 50 years.
There is highspeed trains but they ride on ancient tracks, so no Godspeed on trains in Sweden
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic