Hong Kong Protests

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Hong Kong Protests

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:16 am

IKEA seem not to have had that success in HK. On Mainland it’s a place for the locals to chill out, take a nap.....
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:24 am

grzegorz wrote:
Trick wrote:
Yes I’m sure you would have be joining on the streets of HK...even that you’re American, or because of that ?

LOL!

I think Ikea is behind these protests so that there will be riots all over HK and everyone will be desperate and have to buy new cheap furniture! :-*

your IKEA theory might in a way be right, assembling some of those furnitures can prove to be riotingly frustrating
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am

Damn it! Why did I even bring up Ikea? I am told I have to go there tomorrow.

FWIW if you're judging me by my passport you got all wrong.

1. My grandmother was Cantonese.

2. I think Trump is a piece of shit. I am not your average flag waving American trying to protect my country for its war crimes. Much less the CIA which devastated central America in the eighties and led to the collapse of those countries which is why those same people are trying to leave today.

If they completely dismantled the CIA that would be fine with me.

3. I already stated that China will surpass the US but unless it can figure out how to find the balance between having absolute authoritarian power and listen to its citizens grievances then someday it will collapse and be surpassed too.

4. I am one of the few Yanks who have been to Sweden and I would gladly trade places at anytime. I didn't choose to come back to the States and if it were up to me I never would have but life isn't just about me which is why tomorrow you will find me at Ikea.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:02 am

1. Yes i figured out you have some China in you.
2. I just love conspiracy theories(think you figured that out) but try to find a balance between the “regular” and “unregular” theories. As for Trump, well that’s how it seem to be with the candidates in a Democracy,you either like or dislike, it’s as by design it will never be a hard choice. CIA and South America, I’ve read somewhere that the agency fought hard to be in control of that continent’s coca As they probably now also have control of Afghanistan’s poppy fields.
Ready to try the Brits old tactic on China......
3. If just foreign powers stop act as instigators 8-)it will all go smoothly. And in just a month’s time the mid autumn festival will be on, then it’s time to fansung have some moon-cakes and tea...
4. Take back control of your life, you can be anything you want, be anywhere you wish no matter what politician in charge....Enjoy those IKEA Swedish Meatballs tomorrow :)
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 am

Take back control of your life?

I am in control but I don't see any point in being a college grad exploring the world any longer in fact I think that is often what is wrong with the world that people are always avoiding what is difficult, hard and are unwilling to suffer.

I made my choices and I have no regrets. I have kids, a job which kicks my ass and besides I would rather grow tropical fruit than live in the snow.

As to Trump he isn't a president he's an asshole and like W he cheated. People were kicked off the voter rolls ala Cross Check and the voting machines in the blue counties were not working.

I suppose a Stoic would embrace their fate but I am then again I suppose a well meaning Germans and Italians did the same too and look at how that turned out. Suffering and embracing your fate is a part of life but letting people walk all over isn't and a government is nothing more than people.

Yet to be honest I am not convinced Stoics embraced governments and in fact I believe many were activists who stood by their values and even accepted their fates and deaths as Seneca did for standing up for their values rather than compromising themselves to just go along and get along.

I think the world has its problems when good people do nothing.

Thanks for the offer, I will get be sure to get some of those Swedish pastries which you guys have down to an art form, I am not big on meat these days I eat some but it's almost never my first choice. From fasting I have figured oit which foods are best for me.

As to the Autumn Festival that would be a good outcome and it would mean that Beijing has been stopped for now.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:04 am

Btw, the next US election won't be any different thanks to Moscow Mitch.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 am

Interesting understanding the point from which something started,
although whats going on seems to be part of a much larger problem related to HK itself.

The man at the centre of the storm, 20-year-old Chan Tong-kai, was sentenced for money laundering stemming from the theft of his murdered girlfriend’s money and property.

The ruling was handed down the day after tens of thousands took to the streets to oppose a legislative amendment that would allow the transfer of fugitives from Hong Kong to Taiwan, mainland China and Macau.

Secretary for Security John Lee Ka-chiu said he expected Chan, who cannot be extradited to Taiwan in the absence of a formal agreement, to be released at the earliest this October, given the time he has served and further deductions on account of holidays and good behaviour during his detention.

The government has until then to push through the bill in time to send him to Taiwan to face trial.

The High Court heard Chan, 20, admitted to Hong Kong police he had killed his girlfriend, Poon Hiu-wing, 20, while in Taiwan after learning that she was pregnant with another man’s child, hours before they were due to return to Hong Kong on February 17, 2018.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law ... aiwan-sets

Chan Tong-kai, 19, was arrested in Hong Kong, but is facing charges related only to having his dead girlfriend’s bank card, cash and other possessions.
He has not been sent to Taiwan, despite requests from the authorities there, because there is no formal extradition agreement between the two places.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/pol ... gitives-so

many layers of meaning

Taipei won’t sign any extradition deal with Hong Kong if it implies Taiwan is part of China, official says

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/pol ... kong-if-it
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:22 pm

It looks Beijing is ready to call in the troops.

Naturally Trump won't do jack.

Sometimes having a real Republican like Reagan does have some benefits and I am no fan of Reagan but at least he had some principles whereas Trump has none.
Last edited by grzegorz on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am

grzegorz wrote:
George Soros is responsible for any protests within the PRC.

In fact I would be out there too and I don't work for the CIA.

Hey, I read through the tread(again) and when came to one of your theories -the one that G.Soros might be behind this mess, I Binged up the name and found this on the MSM 8-) https://sputniknews.com/business/201606 ... rency-war/ https://uwidata.com/1897-why-does-georg ... ate-china/

Your IKEA theory I’m still try to get my mind around, it’s a tough one...
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:14 pm

Not surprised.

I often wonder, if a conspiracy theory hasn't made it to the internet does it still exist?

I actually don't use the internet much or social media because most it is nothing more than entertainment. Of course as long as people know that it is cool the problem is that a lot of people think this stuff is real but then again a lot of people have empty lives.

Perhaps feeling something is better than feeling nothing.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 am

More from the MSM that makes it clear foreign powers are behind this - http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/0814/c90000-9606113.html http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/0809/c90000-9604865.html
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Meanwhile Beijing blames Cathay Pacific but never Beijing of course.

It's easy in a liberal democracy to ask why are they protesting when the fact is we'd do the same if it was happening "here."

I saw protests in the PRC all the time and they didn't make it to the internet. The only reason this one has is because Hong Kong still has some freedom and it looks like they would rather fight than submit. Good for them. I would rather fight on my feet than die on my knees.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Last edited by Ian on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:05 am

grzegorz wrote:I saw protests in the PRC all the time and they didn't make it to the internet. .

that does not surprise me att all, that YOU where/are near such......In my 14 years here only once i seen a "larger" protest, and it was quite civil
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:29 am

Ian wrote:
Trick wrote:More from the MSM that makes it clear foreign powers are behind this - http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/0814/c90000-9606113.html http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/0809/c90000-9604865.html

Of course The People's Daily says there are foreign forces behind this. That's the official narrative.

However:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... ng-crisis/
“From the operational angle, I cannot see that at this stage,” said a senior police official who agreed to speak to foreign media on condition of anonymity, when asked if there were any signs of foreign funding or organising of the protests that have brought millions to the streets.

This was in contrast to the stance stated by the Chinese government on Thursday.

“Foreign forces must stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs,” Liu Xiaoming, China’s ambassador to the UK, said on Thursday. “Stop conniving in violent offences – they should not misjudge the situation and go down the wrong path; otherwise, they will lift the stone only to drop it on their own feet.”

well then, the telegraph's official narrative, with of course anonymous source 8-) as for the MSM of USA and EU on this matter, their reporters are most probably at their home offices reporting what Reuters send to theirs
fax machine...At best some might have found their way to HK and parked themselves at the Peninsulas lobby lougne enjoing extraordinary high noon teas and fancy cocktails....While unable to get any juicy gossip from the bellboys the call back to home office to get what Reuters has sent..or quote "anonymous" sources...........Nah, the peoples daily caught them troublemakers meeting at the US conulate. Actually amazing how clumsy the US authorities are, last time at the umbrella trouble making, the CIA was caught on film too.
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic