Zhang Weili is the first Chinese UFC champion — 42 sec TKO

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Zhang Weili is the first Chinese UFC champion — 42 sec TKO

Postby marvin8 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:51 am

Excerpt from "Zhang Weili is the first Chinese UFC champion after 42-second TKO of Jessica Andrade in Shenzhen:"
Nick Atkin on 31 Aug, 2019 wrote:• ‘Magnum’ wins strawweight title at Fight Night 157 with stunning stoppage victory over Jessica Andrade
• Li ‘The Leech’ Jingliang enters welterweight rankings with dramatic win against Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos

Zhang Weili celebrates after knocking out Jessica Andrade to win the strawweight title. Photos: Brandon Magnus/Zuffa

Zhang Weili stunned the world with a 42-second TKO of Jessica Andrade at Fight Night 157 at the Universiade Sports Centre in Shenzhen, becoming the first Chinese fighter to hold a UFC title.

New strawweight champion Zhang (20-1) hurt Brazilian Andrade (20-7) with a perfect right hand before rocking her with knees to the head, and the referee eventually stepped in.

“Last time when I was in Beijing, I made a commitment, ‘Man, I’m going to be the first ever champion of the Chinese fighters’,” Zhang said in her post-fight interview inside the Octagon.

“Today I made it, I want to thank my coaches, my brothers and sisters, everyone who supported me. I’m so proud to be Chinese. I want to thank my country. My name is Zhang Weili, remember me.”

Zhang Weili celebrates with the Chinese flag.

Andrade was humble in defeat. “I’d just like to thank China for welcoming me with open arms,” she said. “Props to Weili, hopefully I get a chance to fight her again, maybe here in China if you guys don’t mind having me.

“This is my style, I’m aggressive, if I would fight her again you never know, but now I’ve just got to go back to the drawing board and come back stronger.”

Dana White places the title around Zhang Weili’s waist in the Octagon.

Zhang added that winning the title was a dream come true. “I felt so excited. I think the keys to my win were my calm mindset and the strategy defined by my coaches. All the strategies were practical, predicted each important point, and helped me seize every opportunity,” Zhang said.

“Also, I did a great job in adjusting my mindset. When I fought overseas, my team was not there with me because of visa issues. But I performed well last year in Beijing, and I won the belt this year in Shenzhen, since all my coaches are here with me, supporting me.

“I don’t have a name for next opponent right now, I will take whoever UFC gives to me. But personally, I will take a long sleep tonight and rest.”

In the co-main event, Li “The Leech” Jingliang (17-5) got back in the win column after stopping Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (21-6) with 15 seconds to go, earning himself a top 10 ranking in the welterweight division.

Li dropped Dos Santos in the first round, then looked to be easing his way to a decision win before putting the Brazilian on the canvas twice more in the closing stages before the referee stepped in.

“I’ve been preparing hard for this fight, I’ll keep fighting,” Li said in his post-fight interview. “And now I want to say, China power!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-kYGr85rE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVdPp0jGlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogrQ_VvbfHo
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Zhang Weili is the first Chinese UFC champion — 42 sec TKO

Postby GrahamB on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 am

Let's ask the quetsion, 'does she have Fajin?' and put this back in the main forum.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:43 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks to modern chemistry! I guess anything goes these days. :'(
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 am

Never underestimate the role of modern chemistry in professional sports...

But nice to see the ladies league getting up to speed.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:24 am

Bill wrote:Thanks to modern chemistry! I guess anything goes these days. :'(

Can you explain your statement? UFC administers mandatory, enhanced out-of-competition drug testing to main event and championship fighters on all cards.

If you are accusing Zhang Weili of using PEDs, what do you base your opinion on? -shrug-
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 pm

When it comes to PEDs only two kinds of athletes exist at the pro level: (a) those who have been caught and (b) those who will be caught.

Everyone uses. And they do, because it helps to win. When money is on the line anything goes.

A small sample of what I've seen...

Professional pingpong - methamphetamines (improves reaction time)
Biathletes - betablockers (gets their heart rate down when going on the pipe from skiing)
Ultimate frisbee - Kratom (decreases reaction to fatigue)
Olympic weightlifters - steroids (allows for more frequent training and you keep some strength off cycle)
Bodybuilders - steroids (increases muscle size, reduces risk of injury and allows for more frequent training)
MMA - steroids (allows for more frequent training off season and you keep some strength off cycle)
Cycling - EPO and steroids (increases endurance and allows for more frequent training)
Triathletes - EPO and steroids (increases endurance, enhances recovery, decreases risk of injury)
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Peacedog wrote:When it comes to PEDs only two kinds of athletes exist at the pro level: (a) those who have been caught and (b) those who will be caught.

Everyone uses. And they do, because it helps to win. When money is on the line anything goes.

I was asking specifically about Zhang Weili in the UFC. IMO, it's more difficult to speak about "all" pro athletes using PEDs across the different organizations, events, pay structures, drug testing, suspensions and fines.

If all pro athletes took PEDs, more athletes (e.g., their opponents) would be caught not only a small percentage of top champions (e.g., Jon Jones, T.J. Dillashaw). There are UFC fighters that were on PEDS. However, after the UFC adopted anti-drug testing, they went off them and continued to fight with noticeably changed physiques (e.g., Vitor Belfort, Johnny Hendricks, etc.). Georges St. Pierre was a champion that says he never took PEDs.

JRE Clips
Published on May 23, 2018

Georges St-Pierre gives his opinion of PED's in MMA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8aq-TOk8I

Peacedog wrote:A small sample of what I've seen...

Professional pingpong - methamphetamines (improves reaction time)
Biathletes - betablockers (gets their heart rate down when going on the pipe from skiing)
Ultimate frisbee - Kratom (decreases reaction to fatigue)
Olympic weightlifters - steroids (allows for more frequent training and you keep some strength off cycle)
Bodybuilders - steroids (increases muscle size, reduces risk of injury and allows for more frequent training)
MMA - steroids (allows for more frequent training off season and you keep some strength off cycle)
Cycling - EPO and steroids (increases endurance and allows for more frequent training)
Triathletes - EPO and steroids (increases endurance, enhances recovery, decreases risk of injury)

However, this is not proof that all pro athletes use PEDs. In general, the sports that require more skill have less PED use. My guess is today more pro athletes do not use PEDs than do.

In Zhang Weili's case, the fight lasted 42 seconds in which she showed skill and technique. Zhang is an employee of the UFC. If she was/is employed by the Chinese government, there would be more chance of her taking PEDs. It's unfair to accuse Zhang of taking PEDs by only stating all athletes take PEDs without any evidence. It takes away her years of sacrifice, hard work and training to develop the skills to become the first Chinese UFC champion.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 am

I thought the implication of chemical usage or doping was more related to the way Zhang looked and fought. I.e., too masculine. I think that's unfair. People who fight don't usually care about being pretty, and they're lucky if they can manage to stay unscarred or without cauliflower ears or broken noses.

Afa ped usage, I agree that all pro athletes use them. However, aspirin is a ped. Not every athlete uses steroids, but many take creatine or protein powders. We're really talking about which peds are legal, and I doubt that all athletes use illegal substances. I think they might use any legal substance, though. That includes pain killers, antibiotics, and sleep medication. All of which can/have been used to speed or aid recovery, or to continue training..

Zhang may very well be on something, but basing it on the way she looked seems unfair and premature. Besides, the argument has to be that her opponent was just as juiced or doped, if everyone does it. At any rate, with the size of China's population, it's inevitable that they'll produce champion-level athletes.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:43 am

I do not believe that women can develop this degree of muscularity without PEDs.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 am

If a woman wants to fight, she should do it the RSF way and rely on internal power.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby marvin8 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am

Bill wrote:Image

I do not believe that women can develop this degree of muscularity without PEDs.

Which one Andrade or Zhang?

Without giving an opinion, they've been drug tested. There is no evidence either one is using PEDs. It's not unusual for top women athletes to develop this degree of muscularity without PEDs:
Michael wrote:https://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/600full-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-photo2.jpg

If a woman wants to fight, she should do it the RSF way and rely on internal power.

A woman should fight the way she doesn't get knocked out:

Michelle Waterson is a UFC fighter in the same division.

JRE Clips
Published on May 28, 2019

Joe Rogan Wonders What Past Fighters Got Away with PED Use

Taken from MMA Show #66 w/Michelle Waterson
https://youtu.be/lFqqHszPSMY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc7iOdknH7c
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bill on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:31 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Bill wrote:Image

Which one Andrade or Zhang?

Both of them. One look at those arms is all you need.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:56 pm

If you're talking about 'roids, Andrade looks more likely to have used. It's her back and shoulders, not her arms. They're straw weights, and their arms are just cut, not big. But, it is also the camera angle.

It's easy to find pictures of "female" body builders on steroids.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Bill wrote:
marvin8 wrote:Which one Andrade or Zhang?

Both of them. One look at those arms is all you need.

No. "One look" is all you (Bill) need. The UFC requires drug testing. Their muscularity is not uncommon among top athletes. Although, Andrade may come under more scrutiny:

marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic