A sincere hope

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: A sincere hope

Postby Peacedog on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Well, I agree. Greta is pretty creepy and is clearly full of hate. :o
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Nice one!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:07 pm

But meanwhile Australia is on fire with over 100 houses going up in smoke.

I suppose the oil industry apologists would say all this is normal.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Hate is an interesting subject.

As a Teamster and a veteran I always find it odd how the working man often wants to believe that the wealthy can somehow identify with them and makes decisions based on what would be best for all.

To me the fact that people making 30, 40 or 50 a year would try to apologize for and or defend the oil industry while they pollute the water and the air and the planet (without mentioning overall changes) can best be summed up by this great writer.

Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Speaking of hate. On this veterans' it is worth mentioning that no pres has ever shown more hate towards vets than this reality show star.

grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am

Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Phew, the weird attacks on Greta are at least less preposterous than the pretense at actually knowing anything about the topic which Giles so thoughtfully brought up.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:11 pm

https://climatechangedispatch.com/anoma ... l-warming/

Summary

It is clearly no longer reasonable to insist, as per past statements by consensus climate scientists, that man-made atmospheric global warming is the direct and complete cause of anomalous Arctic sea ice melting. Begrudgingly accepting this as correct, the climate science community has once again adjusted the supposedly 97% settled global warming theory to include a minimal contribution by unknown natural forces. This steady progression of adjustments to global warming tTheory through the years, including recasting it as climate change, have rendered it almost unrecognizable relative to its original tenets and projected climate influences. Some argue that theories which constantly require major revisions have an inherent problem and should be relegated to lower / less certain hypothesis status.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://www.academia.edu/33912173/GREEN ... _000_Years

20 New Papers Crush Man-Made Link To Arctic Climate. Arctic Sea Ice close to Little Ice Age and Much HigherThan Most Of Last 7,000 Years
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07954-9

Abstract

Warming in the Arctic has been much faster than the rest of the world in both observations and model simulations, a phenomenon known as the Arctic amplification (AA) whose cause is still under debate. By analyzing data and model simulations, here we show that large AA occurs only from October to April and only over areas with significant sea-ice loss. AA largely disappears when Arctic sea ice is fixed or melts away. Periods with larger AA are associated with larger sea-ice loss, and models with bigger sea-ice loss produce larger AA. Increased outgoing longwave radiation and heat fluxes from the newly opened waters cause AA, whereas all other processes can only indirectly contribute to AA by melting sea-ice. We conclude that sea-ice loss is necessary for the existence of large AA and that models need to simulate Arctic sea ice realistically in order to correctly simulate Arctic warming under increasing CO2.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:31 pm

I'll take an earnest look later on. But, I'd point out that this in no way contradicts the central claim that human activity is causing global temperatures to rise (by about 1 degree thus far since pre-industrial times). My point being, this is at best just a rhetorical trick to distract from now established scientific consensus (with very robust data and experients). And that's assuming what you post is true and correct, which I am not conceding at this point.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:26 pm

This is just wrong. This is a conclusion that could only be reached by someone who is unable to vet sources and has no inkling about the science. Rather than posting scientific papers, here's some easy reading (with citations for further reading:

https://skepticalscience.com/heatflow.html

Such a simplistic, narrow view of what is actually and equally relevant to the entirety of the climate cycling which has been occurring since time immemorial in accord with myriad drivers and variables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_variability

Vetting sources goes beyond just looking at the webhost, but considers the content,veracity, probabilities and plausibility of the material presented. I thought those things are what science is/was always considerate of.

That what I posited in my first post in this thread has since been conceded and recognized as legitimate in its own right shows that none of us can claim intellectual high-ground when it comes to these kinds of topics. I remain unbiased and only convinced by what is presently observable. I'm just showing arguments that I believe have merit enough to be given their due consideration.

https://www.acss.org.uk/developing-gene ... -research/

The Five Principles are:

1. Social science is fundamental to a democratic society and should be inclusive of different interests, values, funders, methods and perspectives.

2. All social science should respect the privacy, autonomy, diversity, values, and dignity of individuals, groups and communities.

3. All social science should be conducted with integrity throughout, employing the most appropriate methods for the research purpose.

4. All social scientists should act with regard to their social responsibilities in conducting and disseminating their research.

5. All social science should aim to maximise benefit and minimise harm.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:15 am

Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 am

BruceP wrote:
This is just wrong. This is a conclusion that could only be reached by someone who is unable to vet sources and has no inkling about the science. Rather than posting scientific papers, here's some easy reading (with citations for further reading:

https://skepticalscience.com/heatflow.html

Such a simplistic, narrow view of what is actually and equally relevant to the entirety of the climate cycling which has been occurring since time immemorial in accord with myriad drivers and variables.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_variability

Vetting sources goes beyond just looking at the webhost, but considers the content,veracity, probabilities and plausibility of the material presented. I thought those things are what science is/was always considerate of.

That what I posited in my first post in this thread has since been conceded and recognized as legitimate in its own right shows that none of us can claim intellectual high-ground when it comes to these kinds of topics. I remain unbiased and only convinced by what is presently observable. I'm just showing arguments that I believe have merit enough to be given their due consideration.

https://www.acss.org.uk/developing-gene ... -research/

The Five Principles are:

1. Social science is fundamental to a democratic society and should be inclusive of different interests, values, funders, methods and perspectives.

2. All social science should respect the privacy, autonomy, diversity, values, and dignity of individuals, groups and communities.

3. All social science should be conducted with integrity throughout, employing the most appropriate methods for the research purpose.

4. All social scientists should act with regard to their social responsibilities in conducting and disseminating their research.

5. All social science should aim to maximise benefit and minimise harm.

Again, you are just distracting from the issue being discussed here. What can I say? You don't seem to have the abilities to properly source and interpret information, leading you to simply find and misuse data to support the conclusion that you want to defend. I'm sure it's too late to fix that problem. It's okay, I doubt you will ever be in a policymaking or influencing position, which is a good thing for all of us.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:57 pm

grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic