Build a forest in your backyard

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Build a forest in your backyard

Postby everything on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:26 pm

leave a little space for your baguazhang or taijiquan
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Build a forest in your backyard

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Pretty neat!
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:13 am

Leaf cutter ants have deforestated a more than 3 foot diameter section of my backyard.
I - so far - have chosen ants over grass. What are they doing with the grass under ground?
They created trails about 2 inches wide and recently built 1 inch tall baskets around their
holes to protect from the rains. They are fascinating cause they work all day non-stop.
roger hao

Postby everything on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:41 am

Ants are amazing. I usually pour boiling water on the driveway hills. That will of course kill grass too
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bill on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:30 pm

roger hao wrote:Leaf cutter ants have deforestated a more than 3 foot diameter section of my backyard.
I - so far - have chosen ants over grass. What are they doing with the grass under ground?

(from the web).....
Leafcutter ants are often seen in lines, bringing pieces of leaves back to the nest. The leaves are used to feed fungus, which is grown by the ants in a special ‘fungus garden’ in the nest. This fungus provides food for the colony.

The fungus can’t survive without the ants, and the ants can’t survive without the fungus. This is known as a ‘symbiotic relationship’.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Nice!

I have a fruit forest in my backyard and I can't imagine being without it.

A good escape too.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Oh that's cool, did you plant it? In the video above, they try to plant as much diversity as possible, including fruit trees. I love the idea of a mini food forest in my backyard.
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:54 pm

I have banana -papaya-coconut that have matured and producing fruit
Thanks for the ant info - really strange that they have worn pathways
that look like mini cow or dear paths.
Also they carry the gravel from the nest about a foot away from their exit
and they have an exit hole and an entry hole.
roger hao

Postby greytowhite on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:09 am

The native desert trees are terrible for my allergies and I don't think I'd like my water bill to be that high...
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 am

according to the video (using the miyawaki method), you can only use native-to-your-area species. in 2 years, it becomes self-sustaining like a natural forest - you don't water or weed or fertilize or otherwise maintain it. but if you're in CA with the allergies, doesn't seem like it'd be a good idea at all.

here's some before/after shots:
https://www.afforestt.com/results

Last edited by everything on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Permaculture is the way
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:11 pm

wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:51 pm

I don't really have a green thumb but I really want to do this...
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:01 am

No such thing as a green thumb
It's just technique,desire and application
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:48 pm

For me there is nothing is more rewarding than growing food. For one you get to feed people and gift your fruit to family and friends which also reduces wasteful packaging and gasoline to and from the store not to mention the transportation of food from other states and countries which I mention since the interests seems to be helping to save the environment. Of course gardens and fruit trees pay for themselves over time. Not only do you save money you can also make money and sell your stuff on Craigslist if you desire.

Secondly there are several types of varieties of fruits and veggies you won't find in the stores which not only taste different but are sometimes even superior to the commercial varieties. The pomegranates I grow are better than the Wonderful for example which isn't bad but my varieties from Turkmenistan have softer seeds. My family and friends actually prefer another variety I have which are a type of sweet pomegranate which are not tart and taste nothing like Wonderful and more like candy. I had a co-worker tell me that before he tried one he thought he just didn't like pomegranates.

I think this video captures how growing things can change you. I know the more I grow the less I like to waste time with stuff that doesn't matter. Now years into it I think just about every day I eat something I grew. I also lost 20 pounds which is rare at my age.

Watch "Ron Finley: Urban Gangsta Gardener in South Central LA | Game Changers" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/7t-NbF77ceM

Sure enough he did a Ted talk too.

Watch "A guerilla gardener in South Central LA | Ron Finley" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/EzZzZ_qpZ4w
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:23 am, edited 10 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic