Bikram on Netflix

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Bikram on Netflix

Postby edededed on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:38 pm

Hey Peacedog, and others who may have experienced this personally...

What causes this effect on people (followers)?

Is it just that having a greater amount of energy attracts people?

(I've never been much of a follower, but not much of a leader, either...)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 pm

I honestly don't know.

Some people just seem to want to be told what to do, how to live, etc.

The whole guru worship thing out of India seems to be what I've experienced on steroids.

The energy thing sure seems to bring it out in some people. I've never understood why someone could be attracted to a cult per se, but I can sure see how it happens.

Eric Hoffer in "The True Believer" writes about fanatics and their attraction to mass movements. I think it is a related phenomena. However, I also think it is slightly different in some ways. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

It's like when you run a class. Some guys are really into it for its own sake and they are cool. They practice like demons on their own and usually end up becoming teachers at some point. A bunch more are there as a kind of vacation and break from their daily lives. They only practice when they come to class or occasionally on their own, but they make decent sparring partners/demonstrators.

Then there are people there who just get off on the vibe. Those guys seem to be more the follower type. No real ability. Just way too much sensitivity and a significant lack of willpower. They overreact to everything and are pretty useless for practicing with as a result. They may event talk it up a lot. But they never practice hard on their own or develop any skill. They also "over commit" to the program way too early. Sometimes if you push them hard early on they'll quit and go away. If you don't they seem to linger forever at the just above white belt level. You can see it coming though. That weird sheen in their eyes. The hanging on every word. Creepy as #$#$%. But since asses in seats pay the bills, most teachers put up with it to a point.

Those, like Bikram, who let it go to their heads or simply let the situation get out of hand are where the cults and really abusive behavior seems to come from.

Its also why I haven't run a public class in almost forever. Although truthfully I need to in order to do a lot of the partner pair training stuff in Hermetics. I'm just really gun shy after a few weird experiences.
Last edited by Peacedog on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Hmm - perhaps it is a bit different for how it happens to teachers/cultivators and how it happens to preachers/religious figures. Maybe something about different types of energy (vital/astral vs. akasha/faith)? I wonder if it is similar to how some people get very emotional by crying, etc. at religious retreats - I remember participating as a young lad, but I just kind of politely watched others cry (although I thought of myself as religious as the time, I could not get emotional like that). It seemed to me to be a kind of group phenomenon (most participants were not normally openly emotional), and somewhat dependent on personality/temperament (my friend was also unaffected like me).

I like your list of 3 types of students - I wish I was type 1, but maybe I am more of a type 2 (I hope I am not type 3). I guess that type 2 (vacation) seems most common? I haven't seem too much type 3, but I remember one in a bagua class - he didn't last long though.

I'd love to join any class of yours :D I don't think I will be a weirdo.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:02 am

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

Napoleon Bonaparte
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:51 pm

edededed wrote:Hey Peacedog, and others who may have experienced this personally...

What causes this effect on people (followers)?

Is it just that having a greater amount of energy attracts people?

(I've never been much of a follower, but not much of a leader, either...)

I have seen this scenario in qigong and the teacher is still doing it (for the money) but not nearly on the same scale as Brikam. To me, like the male college wrestlers these women doing yoga are no different than the college wrestlers. Both found something they enjoy and both want are highly motivated to be the best they can be in hopes of starting a business, becoming a coach, getting scholarships, etc...

(Which is why I think Rogan is way off. I was probably one of Rogan's first listeners but when he switched to a podcast a day, couldn't say no to the money, he basically became nothing more than clickbait. Dig around and he will probably joke about why Jeffery Epstein wasn't so bad.)

In the case of qiging things were no different. These people "fixed" their bodies with taiji and wanted to provide the same for others. Unfortunately though the instructor would say things like one day I will find the "one" and teach them everything I know because once I die it will all gone which created an atmosphere of wanting to be the "best." From there some people would give in and spend all their money in hopes of becoming that "one." From there strange requests would be made and people would never want to say "no." Yet some did and some do and these walk away and basically have to start all over elsewhere and cut ties with that instructor and everyone else involved.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Exactly!

Giles wrote:My take on this issue:

The basic pitch of a teacher (for adults!) is “I’m good at a particular profane (i.e. non-spiritual) skillset and can teach you this”. Woodworking, French, tennis, calculus... The more you move beyond this clearly delineated remit and towards “I can support/direct you spiritually” or “I can guide you in your life” or “I can offer you therapy” – then the less legitimate and appropriate it becomes to engage in sexual relations with any of your students/followers/clients. EVEN IF THESE SEXUAL RELATIONS ARE ‘CONSENSUAL’. The more spiritual mojo you bring into play, the more you will be (consciously or unconsciously) influencing, manipulating a follower. Who will often be needy, damaged, searching, without orientation, open to suggestion. The more you offer a spiritual or therapy-based path, the more you are taking on a parental role (even if this is not explicitly acknowledged). And hence the more such sexual relations by a power person will constitute abuse.

It’s why, in most countries, any state-certified psychotherapist will immediately have their licence revoked if they are found to have engaged in sexual relations with a client. And rightly so.

The more spiritually enlightened you are – be this with or without “...” around this term – the more you should naturally and deeply understand that having sex with a follower/student/client involves putting your own base gratification and ego far above the long-term needs and benefit of this follower. That it is an abuse of power and is likely to be damaging to the follower, not beneficial.
Increased power brings increased responsibility.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:37 pm

GrahamB wrote:"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Perhaps there is some merit there but many of the soldiers I have come in contact with fight for themsleves, their band of buddies and for the lives they attempt to protect!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:20 pm

I don't see G insulting the military as much as pointing out that people can be manipulated in many ways.

As former government issue I didn't buy into the propaganda many of my shipmates and Marines bought into.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:24 am

Unfortunately it is a military problem too.

https://news.yahoo.com/photos-men-too-t ... 42483.html
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic