Report from Shanghai

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Report from Shanghai

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:36 am

But in the US we can't even get an adequate number of tests at this point to determine the scope and rate of spread of the Covid-19 virus.

One would have thought after H1N1, 2009
they “Fed Gov” would’ve set up protocols for developing test and administering test on a large scale basis this was never done.

There seems to be a lot of regulatory roadblocks now being corrected to allow test and testing to be developed and administrated much faster.

People don’t seem to Understand the roles
of local state and federal government agencies
which at times can make inter or across government agencies
operations very cumbersome.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:40 am

Trick wrote:however elsewhere i read that the corona virus doesnt like alkaline

Coffee drinker myself although I do like tea.

Thought tea, like coffee was acidic? Could be wrong.
Green tea good stuff, prefer Earl gray tea myself
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 am

windwalker wrote:
Trick wrote:however elsewhere i read that the corona virus doesnt like alkaline

Coffee drinker myself although I do like tea.

Thought tea, like coffee was acidic? Could be wrong.
Green tea good stuff, prefer Earl gray tea myself

yes thats what i meant, two very different suggestions. earl gray is "black"(red here in china) tea(roasted longer) and is more acidic and its flavoured with betgamot(citrus fruit) which might lower the ph even more ?
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 am

Dr. Nicole Saphier told Breitbart News Daily on Friday morning that the reason the U.S. had rejected coronavirus test kits from abroad is that they had a 48% false negative rate, meaning sick people would believe, falsely, they were fine.

Not good if true...

Could mean that things are not as good as what some countries
as reporting based on testing..
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 am

not following the science but interesting dev of test kits and fast
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/0 ... irus-intl/
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:24 am

A complicating factor in the test process is that I've read some material suggesting that at LEAST two versions of the Wuhan Coronavirus exist. If so, it means it is already mutating and this could cause real issues with vaccine development.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am

shoot. a question people were asking is what if I get the first strain. will I get it again? but if there is a second one, hmm. :-\

*drinking green tea and then chasing it with alkaline water...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:40 am

in the OP jarek tell his story almost as if he was truly fleeing china, i can understand that with family one get extra worried, and "back then" we didnt know much(still dont?) about this virus.....However now more and more countries report of this virus outbreak, and right now countries in europa close their borders, schools are closing , and probably in a few days what was mentioned here in the thread as draconian quarantine messures taken by china will probably be implemented in many more countries......spain closing its borders, denmark as well, and now also poland
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:30 am

Having lived in both I would little desire to return to China's concrete jungles. Poland I could handle although I hate snow and would eventually leave again although this year they didn't get snow and it will probably be the first of many. I suppose it serves as a reminder why I like California since I can get as much Chinese culture I want. In fact I can get excellent acupuncture, hear Chinese and get boba tea all within walking distance from my house.

As to draconian measures as odious as they are it seems that they are working in China. Not sure how draconian the South Koreans got but their numbers are on the decline too and the people themselves seem willing to help in fighting the pandemic.

Then you have the US always trying to be different. No thanks to the White House most of the country didn't take any of this seriously and now we have to pay. Doesn't help that the pandemic task force put together by the previous administration was cut from the CVC. So while "our" politicans are trying reinvent the wheel the virus has spread to 49 states. Is America great yet?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:08 am

Also keep in mind a few other key factors. South Korea has much cleaner air, a lower smoking rate and the population is much wealthier so affording care is not such an expensive proposition that people wait to the last minute.

The standard of hygiene in Korean society, writ large as well as their medical facilities, is much higher than in mainland China. That alone is going to slow the spread of the disease.

Finally, people keep getting pissed when I mention this, but the primary transmission vector for this is fecal-oral not airborne. The virus is generally thought to survive on surfaces for a minimum of 2-3 days and some sources mention up to 9 days. Fecal particles are responsible for long survival times not airborne particulates. For this reason, the places hardest hit all have loose standards of hygiene.

Southern California, and NYC, are both going to have big issues due to the refusal of their governments to deal with their large mentally ill homeless populations that defecate in the street, on sidewalks, etc. Barring a genetic resistance, places where people still clean their anus with their hands after defecating are also going to have big problems as well. I suspect India, the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa are going to be real slaughterhouses.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:19 am

Here the idiot government has given up the fight. Might go to China, I am serious, there at least they have pretty good control, they know what they do, and offer free health care for treatment of the virus. Here in Europe all of the countries are pretty much all chaotic. :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Peacedog wrote:Southern California, and NYC, are both going to have big issues due to the refusal of their governments to deal with their large mentally ill homeless populations that defecate in the street, on sidewalks, etc. Barring a genetic resistance, places where people still clean their anus with their hands after defecating are also going to have big problems as well. I suspect India, the Middle East and sub-Saharan Africa are going to be real slaughterhouses.

These homeless are a national problem. They often come to the West Coast and New York looking for jobs and often time they do have jobs of some sort. These states contribute the most to the US economy and in federal taxes.

Trump barking at these states ain't doing a damn thing. If the economy is doing so great why is the number of homeless so high? Perhaps because it is all a big lie. Outside of the stock market and tax cuts things are not that great for everybody. I saw the same propaganda used in the PRC.

Fact is Trump continues to do nothing but divide the country. He posted a meme of himself playing the voilin this week.

Fuck this guy!

Thanks for the info on fecal matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pid-spread

This sums up everything.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Iran is building a massive grave for coronavirus victims

https://youtu.be/fjuWyXzKBIw

Like the White House they also denied that anything was going to go wrong.

Off topic but efforts are being made to house the homeless.

https://youtu.be/iYjjGU7qYjE
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:46 am

Bao wrote:Here the idiot government has given up the fight. Might go to China, I am serious, there at least they have pretty good control, they know what they do, and offer free health care for treatment of the virus. Here in Europe all of the countries are pretty much all chaotic. :-\

i follow the swedish news and i try to understand what the swedish government are trying to do, perhaps they as grzegorz say the US governmet are all about wanting to be different and special and hope that it works. the swedish state virologist/epidemiologist saying someting as - quarantine meassures are outdated and not proven to be effective ?? as an quite strange example of "meassure"
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:16 am

Trick wrote: i follow the swedish news and i try to understand what the swedish government are trying to do, perhaps they as grzegorz say the US governmet are all about wanting to be different and special and hope that it works. the swedish state virologist/epidemiologist saying someting as - quarantine meassures are outdated and not proven to be effective ?? as an quite strange example of "meassure"

Not about "trying " to be different ..The US is different from almost any other society in the world

To understand "why" the response from the US gov, is different one must first understand how the gov. is set up.
The states are essentially the governments who are responsible for their own people.
Each state will have different responses based on their governance.

Over the yrs the states have been abdicating their role in governance...
using the "fed" gov more, and more for things that they as a "state" should be addressing..

In some cases working against the fed gov in others working with...

this is a type of "flu"

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that so far this season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses for the 2019-2020 season, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths in the U.S. The CDC reports there have been 54 reported flu-related pediatric deaths this season from Influenza B ...Jan 27, 2020

Kind of amazing when one thinks about it...its just the "flu". :P
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic