new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm

I do agree, the US for many reasons responded to the virus
in a very confused way...Unable as some countries did put aside
differences for the greater whole...

Thought the main point was to slow the spread not to "stop" the spread, understanding that it would spread regardless,
buying some time for either better protocols to be developed or a vaccine.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:14 pm

The freedom to recklessly endanger the lives of others is not guaranteed by the bill of rights.

The states are allowed to regulate themselves for things that are not specifically delegated to the federal government.
Therefore: Who gets to decide? Those that decide are the people that have been elected, and/or appointed by those that we have elected. Why? Because they are the people that have been elected, and/or appointed by those that we have elected.

If you do not like the mandates, then you have the right to take it to the courts and have them decide.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm

people can choose to not wear seat belts or sunscreen or helmets. however, those things mainly protect that person vs. masks and social distancing are to protect everyone, especially the most vulnerable. sure people could choose not to do it, but it's a very un-wise as well as very inconsiderate choice. people (I would call them "stupid") make some weird conclusions and don't seem to follow all the logic. it's like washing hands or wearing shoes. people are "free" not to do it, but it's a better idea to do that. although only one of those is more important here.

contact tracing is more complicated. people are afraid of location tracking (although we probably have smart phones, use Google, and the big tech companies can track our locations, and almost nobody is opting out).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

An interesting article on the after effects of cv-19.

It took me about 3 months to recover completely and during that time I had a two week period with some of the worst headaches in my life. And I almost never get these.

For those with a TCM background they were almost completely along the gallbladder channels of both side of my head. I’ve also had a lingering damp-heat issue that only resolved with herbs.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/its-frigh ... ll-suffer/
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:00 pm

LaoDan wrote:The freedom to recklessly endanger the lives of others is not guaranteed by the bill of rights.

might want to let em know...what they'er doing is not guaranteed by the bill of rights,,,correct?

but it's a very un-wise as well as very inconsiderate choice. people (I would call them "stupid") make some weird conclusions and don't seem to follow all the logic.

Are they "un-wise as well as very inconsiderate choice. people (I would call them "stupid") ?
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:05 pm

Chicago Pride March Draws Thousands Despite Mayor’s Coronavirus Rules

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... rus-rules/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 am

The right to protest is protected! Calling protesters “rioters” does not change that protests are protected (unless you can tarnish peaceful protesters with the pejorative term “rioters” in which case one could then claim that the gatherings are illegal since they are riots, which are not protected, instead of being protests, which are protected).

The vague mentions of “basic freedoms” and “bill of rights” and requiring “laws” and “anti-authoritarianism” etc., without identifying anything specific, is just a tactic of diversion and obfuscation in the hope that one can induce outrage in those who read the information.

Our governments are set up with certain functions and powers (which act as checks on abuses by other branches of government). Those in charge of their respective executive branches of government (federally this is the President of the USA, for states it is the governors, in cities and towns it is the mayors...) have the power of issuing executive orders. The courts are there at each level to check that the executive orders are within the powers of the executive branch (checking that they do not exceed their authority) as well as not infringing on the rights of individuals.

There have been court cases (at least in NC where I live) challenging executive orders concerning COVID-19, but in most cases (not all) they have been upheld in the courts. This means that they ARE LEGAL! Vague statements that they are not legal, just because someone disagrees with them, are just sour grapes, diversion and obfuscation. If they think that their rights are being infringed, they have a protected right to challenge the rules in a court of law! In NC these challenges have usually been decided within about one week – not too long unless the rulings are appealed to higher level courts...
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 am

Showing a crowd of thousands and calling them rioters when they're just marching is dishonest. Arguing that thousands of people shouldn't be gathering is reasonable. However it's just rhetorical bullshit. If the same people were protesting a lock down, the rhetoric would reverse. They'd be exercising their Constitutional rights.

Hey, I totally agree that large groups should be avoided. That's because I've always said the situation was serious. I think it's up to the individual to act responsibly for the benefit of others. The fact that a mask might work makes wearing one worthwhile. Instead, we get arguments against masks, lockdowns, social distancing, the seriousness of the virus, the need for freedom, the bad effects of being inside, the infringement of religious liberty, access to bars, etcétera. Nothing about indoor political rallies where attendees are deliberately squeezed together. Picture that.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:38 am

Showing a crowd of thousands and calling them rioters when they're just marching is dishonest. Arguing that thousands of people shouldn't be gathering is reasonable. However it's just rhetorical bullshit. If the same people were protesting a lock down, the rhetoric would reverse. They'd be exercising their Constitutional rights.

+1000

that's already happened during the pandemic. I distinctively remember one rioter (oops, they're conservatives so they're naturally called a protester) carrying a sign saying "I won't be denied a haircut"
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Except that cuts both ways.

Those "mostly peaceful" protesters caused over $400 million USD in damages in 20 US cities alone.

https://newsthud.com/in-first-weekend-o ... 0-million/

You have a right to protest in the US.

You do not have have a right to burn businesses to the ground, attack counter protesters and act like an a-hole.

The whole "they're just protesters" line is crap and always has been.

The mayors of the cities in question need to choose between barbarism and civilization. You either put down the mob or you are ruled by the mob. As the imbecilic mayor of Seattle was finally forced into doing today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 354605002/

The fact that the mayors in question tacitly supported the actions of these savages is another issue that will be dealt with at the ballot box in their next election.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm

by now, we (whatever our political leanings) should be "smart" enough to realize all the advice / mandates / orders are sound and prudent. hopefully we finally collectively change our riskier behaviors and cut down on the "stupid" rhetoric that the willfully ignorant and the just ignorant don't even understand they don't understand, and businesses will bounce back in a safe manner (they are safer if we follow precautions and more likely to be able to have business rather than "reopen", everyone gets sick, they get shut down again).

of course, there are still going to be really "stupid" (and younger "invincible" / rules don't affect me) people....
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:31 pm

Yeah, mostly peaceful protesters. Anyway, there are protests every day here, but there were only businesses burned down or looted a month ago. Anyway, a civilization is defined by how well it treats its weakest members. I agree that protesters who destroy property should be arrested. After the two "riot" days, our news was flooded with the images of those who were looting. Some have been arrested, as the should.
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

Otoh, this guy took the opportunity to shoot some sheriffs. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 323113.php
Most ex-Air-Force sargeants don't do that.

There've also been some terrorist attacks against officers, too. I say treat 'em all the same. Like I said, right now there are no looting by protesters anywhere near me. I'm not going to Google to find out if it's happening somewhere in the country or outside.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Here's a report from some Texas towns about protests. My point is that there are no reports of looting by protesters. Again, if the complaint is about a lack of social distancing, etc., fine. However, a protester is not a looter.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/15 ... ty-racism/
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:05 pm

Steve my main issue was with the extreme dishonesty of the media in terms of reporting these events.

Peaceful protests are just that. A rioting mob that burns down a city block isn’t.

A protest can be dealt with calmly and professionally.

A rioting mob requires belt fed firearms.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 pm

The media showed the looting here, and it was impossible not to know about it. My point was that it lasted two days, and the demonstrations have been going on for a month. There are plenty of videos showing protesters stopping looters and protecting police officers.

I do agree that the media focused too much on the violent looters. They were a small minority of the protesters. Here's a WH video from literally a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCo630KJme8
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic