Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby windwalker on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Chinese virus
spanish flu
Ebola
MERS

considering the aforementioned
what thinking would this be?

Interesting in that most if not all came from animals
in most cases named after locations from which they
first originated from.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Funny you should say that since the Spanish flu did not originate in Spain. (The more you know.)

As to Corona I call it the Trump virus since Trump is responsible for doing nothing and allowed it to overtake the country killing off thousands of senior citizens and completely destroying the US economy.

Interesting that China has managed to contain the Trump virus. I remember saying on the previous thread that I could understand why expats or foreigners would leave China but that China was doing everything it could to eradicate the Trump virus. Too bad the Chinese won't be helping us.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:07 pm

Then you have these fools.

Most Grand Princess passengers in quarantine refused coronavirus tests —often at federal officials’ urging

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 141731.php

We are screwed...
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby shenxinhei on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Love "the Trump virus" as hadn't seen it yet on social media. I'm going to start using that and maybe it'll catch on.
shenxinhei
Santi

Postby grzegorz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Right on Shenxinhei!
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:56 am

Chinese virus
spanish flu
Ebola
MERS

first originated from.

not directed at the poster of this...

but there is some thoughts that spanish flu originated in China
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ce-health/

it is from 2014- so way before this 2020 outbreak
so not retaliatory thinking on this
but an interesting article

as to the US starting to use the term Chinese Virus
this seems more a product of several things:
- china trying to change the narrative and say that the US is responsible for starting the outbreak in China
- increased tensions between the US and China- trade issues, blocking the takeover of the international copyright division of the UN, journalism, blocking investigation at the site of the outbreak
- increased military tension -- china has been ramping up operations in the south china sea and around taiwan.. and china has just purchased a huge amount of new body armor for its troops, and the general rhetoric coming out of china recently is much less friendly

i recently read an article that the science now indicates that the new corona virus is naturally occurring
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... -confirms/

and scary to think that more of these similar mutations might occur naturally as well
(not to mention whatever gets defrosted as the ice in the polar regions continues to melt...)

as to the situation in Taiwan
our CDC - is doing a very good job
https://english.cw.com.tw/article/artic ... on?id=2664

almost all business is operating as normal
except those hit by things like the lack of tourists, etc..

right now there is only 2 schools that had to close down so far
a university in the south and a high school in the north
but i think sometime soon - if it gets worse - there might be closure of schools

i can say that i feel confident that the cdc has a good plan
as it seems they have made plans for whatever way this thing turns and are prepared

i can say i am not happy about the increased chinese military operations
and the disinformation campaigns that they have used to try to inject social unrest here

and currently i am watching the increased tensions between the US and China
and not likely the direction it is going in

Franklin

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 am

Thanks very interesting. My point was more about the naming conventions used and why.
Even the press used the same names before they started to question the presidents use
trying to drive their narrative.

Wife’s family in Taiwan, some of them doctors and nurses
call back worried about what they’re seeing on the news
in the US. In 2 weeks or so would expect that we will know the direction this is headed,
hopefully as mention the curve will be flattened similar to Korea.

Like and enjoyed China, very much. It seems their local government
For the region really handled this very badly. Hard to say if it was top
down directed.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:53 am

and the disinformation campaigns that they have used to try to inject social unrest here

2nd this.

Watching some of the trends in other countries, it seems that it may not last too long.
Hopefully as the seasons change it reacts much like the other viruses and starts to fade away,
and some of the new drug testing therapy prove effective

One of the effects in the US is that it highlights the governors, allowing them to be really held accountable for their actions or inaction.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:35 am

grzegorz wrote:yet on the flight over from Japan the US put the inflected people and non-infected people .

same situation on "evacuation flights first from china to europe, then from italy to sweden. evacuees have expressed concern on how everything seemed so urgent and serious to evacuate, then alredy on the planes passengers was mixed up randomly without any concerns
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am

grzegorz wrote:Funny you should say that since the Spanish flu did not originate in Spain. (The more you know.)

As to Corona I call it the Trump virus since Trump is responsible for doing nothing and allowed it to overtake the country killing off thousands of senior citizens and completely destroying the US economy.

Interesting that China has managed to contain the Trump virus. I remember saying on the previous thread that I could understand why expats or foreigners would leave China but that China was doing everything it could to eradicate the Trump virus. Too bad the Chinese won't be helping us.

Trump virus..you might be on to something there..............but i will try hold back with my heavy conspiracy theories so to not wreck this thread. 8-)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:59 am

Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote:yet on the flight over from Japan the US put the inflected people and non-infected people .

same situation on "evacuation flights first from china to europe, then from italy to sweden. evacuees have expressed concern on how everything seemed so urgent and serious to evacuate, then alredy on the planes passengers was mixed up randomly without any concerns

Things may be a little bit more complicated than what people understand regarding evacuees.

The CDC worried about infection control aboard the planes. Principal deputy director Anne Schuchat wrote to the State Department that the stricken passengers would pose “an increased risk to the other passengers,” according to the report.

But officials with the Department of Health and Human Services and the coronavirus task force pushed back, arguing that they had been prepared to handle passengers who might develop symptoms on the flights.

William Walters, director of operational medicine for the State Department, said the 14 people were already in the evacuation pipeline and protocol dictated they should be brought home, according to the report.

Apparently the Chinese knew about the virus sometime in November / December but did not react to it and hid the information from the rest of the world. Allowing Travel of all those infected from ground zero to spread throughout Europe. Once the US understood what was happening the president enacted the travelban . At The time denounced by the very people who now question why he didn’t act sooner. The travel ban, expanded as the rate of infection spread,
other countries followed suit understanding the need not to allow new carriers into their countries
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:17 am

definitely trying to eat healthier. with the short commute (my bedroom to living room), I'm getting nearly 8 hours of sleep, which is so unusual, so that's good.

for those of you wondering about NYC, there is a youtube channel called "ActionKid" - he normally does touristy things, but now he just goes around and shows how empty NYC is. It's really strange. There are relatively very few people and cars out and about. It looks strangely peaceful in a way.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am

vadaga wrote:Delivery and logistics services should be considered essential work however, so likely you will be very busy Greg.

Hey Danny! Thanks.

Yeah, it has been rough. They are even trying to talk people into ending their vacations early to help out. Yet they srr making increasingly difficult for someone tobe promoted to full time driver. Many complain but this is what we signed up for. I suppose we are all processing it in difference ways. I saw this coming months ago. We even told oir in-laws not to fly over from Europe. Originally they were skeptical but now they know we made the right call. Had this countries did all we could 2 months ago the numbers would be a lot lower and the citizens would be tsking this more seriously as it is I probably only see like 3% of people wearing a mask. In Czech Republic it is law if you go out and good on them.

Considering we are going to hit 20% unemployment by some estimates I am grateful but concerned that I will be a carrier. Some houses here already have do not enter Corona Virus signs. It hit all 50 states now it will hit every zip code.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:48 am

Franklin wrote:
Chinese virus
spanish flu
Ebola
MERS

first originated from.

not directed at the poster of this...

as to the US starting to use the term Chinese Virus
this seems more a product of several things:
- china trying to change the narrative and say that the US is responsible for starting the outbreak in China
- increased tensions between the US and China- trade issues, blocking the takeover of the international copyright division of the UN, journalism, blocking investigation at the site of the outbreak
- increased military tension -- china has been ramping up operations in the south china sea and around taiwan.. and china has just purchased a huge amount of new body armor for its troops, and the general rhetoric coming out of china recently is much less friendly

i recently read an article that the science now indicates that the new corona virus is naturally occurring
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... -confirms/

and scary to think that more of these similar mutations might occur naturally as well
(not to mention whatever gets defrosted as the ice in the polar regions continues to melt...)

as to the situation in Taiwan
our CDC - is doing a very good job
https://english.cw.com.tw/article/artic ... on?id=2664

almost all business is operating as normal
except those hit by things like the lack of tourists, etc..

right now there is only 2 schools that had to close down so far
a university in the south and a high school in the north
but i think sometime soon - if it gets worse - there might be closure of schools

i can say that i feel confident that the cdc has a good plan
as it seems they have made plans for whatever way this thing turns and are prepared

Franklin

Franklin

Thanks for confirming what I was told about Taiwan from my friend.

Our Pres is finally learning or listening and is having US factories make medical products or so they say. No one knows which factory it is or where it is. We'll see, perhaps it's still in the process or perhaps just optics. I I hope they do make stuff here because in 2 weeks the hospitals will be out of supplies.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am

Trick wrote:yes im also somewhat puzzled by this whole thing...one thing is for sure, if media yell PANIC a big number of people will panic, of course panic sell better tnan 'harmony'.......As i mentioned from my perspective. i live in the south central of huainan and havent seen or heard of an infected in the area, i have friends all over the city and non of them have seen or heard of any infected, and we are in the neighbouring province to hubei wihere wuhan is the epicenter for this covid-19.....same with my friends up in dalian non has seen or heard of any infected........by seen or heard here i mean from an direct at reach source, not what is seen or heard on the media

The PRC shut down Wuhan and Shanghai when cases popped up. I am no cheerleader of the PRC as someone who also lived there I do defend them when they do something right. Generally in the US everything they do is criticized by politicians trying to score points with the public.

I think what Taiwan has shown us is that nations that react quickly stop the spread of the virus. Whereas Iran, Italy and the US have not.

I notice that Denmark and Norway have reacted strongly whereas Sweden although stopped sending kids to school hasn't used the same extreme measures as their neighbors. Unfortunately I think the results will be the same the virus will spread more in Sweden than in Norway and Denmark.

I say that as a Yank whose country will be one of the worst off.

The fact that Hunan didn't get hit means the government made the right call. Italy just jad over 600 die in one day and has surpassed China. The worst part they haven't reach the peak yet.

(I I tried to explain to another American how the Chinese stopped the spread and his comment was that's because if you don't cooperate they shoot you in the head. F@#$ that guy.)
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Been There Done That