Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am

Where is the coronavirus not on the news? Was there too much coverage of the ebola outbreak? Did it affect the economy? Did it put 10 million people on unemployment?

But, lease, there's so much else on tv that no one can complain about the "news." Ok, where I live, it's BIG news. If they were talking about anything else, it'd be stupid. You know, the price of tea has gone down and there are no headlines. What's up with that?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:52 am

everything wrote:I don't really know those timelines, but it does seem like a concern.

... yes probably the news just likes to talk about it as all talks of cruises and other ships "sells" a lot of pageviews since people can relate to the confined-on-ship idea and worry about it.

Think of it in terms of readiness for war.....each unit has to maintain a certain
status...In general this information is not public nor should it be.

Captions or commanders get relived of their commands if they can not meet the readiness
rating of the units they're in charge of..

* The Global Level 4 Health Advisory applies to, and includes, Vietnam. On March 19th, the Department of State implemented a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19

https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... formation/

The latter report cited a confirmation of details by Admiral Phil Davidson, the head of the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, that the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt will visit Vietnam this week, with a stop scheduled at the coastal city of Da Nang.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/03/what-do ... relations/

Considering this was done in march,,,,bad move by the senior command.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:42 pm

The Roosevelt made a port call in Vietnam last month. Modly said the stop, where thousands of sailors likely went off the ship into Danang, was done when there was fewer than 20 cases of the illness in Hanoi and sailors were screened when they returned to the ship.

:P

He said two sailors fell ill near the end of the required 14-day period between port calls, and they were flown off the ship. As the days went by, however, the problem worsened.

why would they be allowed to have port calls ie shore leave in the middle of a pandemic and not expect
to be infected.

Modly said there are 94 Navy ships deployed at sea around the world, and the Roosevelt is the only one with sailors who have tested positive for the virus. Some other sailors have tested positive, but those have been in other jobs or on ships that are at their home bases and are not out at sea.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/04/nearly- ... -outbreak/

wanna bet no more port calls for any US warship outside US waters...probably will extend or should extend to ships in port in the US...
Ship personnel restricted to certain areas that are monitored checked for contamination.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:02 pm

damn yeah. I definitely would've preferred they had been more isolated. not sure if that would've been possible. thanks for some of the insight into how those decisions work.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:06 pm

The Roosevelt made a port call in Vietnam last month.

If you'd been captain last month, you'd have thought the same thing you did two weeks ago. If all he thought was that some crew might get a cold or the flu, why would he not let the crew off?

I looked it up. Vietnam has around 260 cases of the virus today. A month ago, it had to be far fewer. They might not have known there were any cases at that time. It certainly was not a hotspot or have an outbreak.

There are 6-8 different strains of the virus already in the world. They can be traced genetically. At some point it can be determined which strain/s the sailor contracted and where. It could have been on a package sent to the ship or a messenger.

Seems like there's a need for a scapegoat. At least, if they ask him why he did it, he'll say that it was because his crew had been at sea and wanted shore leave. If someone in the chain of command knew that it was dangerous, they should have ordered him not to.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:15 pm

If you'd been captain last month, you'd have thought the same thing you did two weeks ago. If all he thought was that some crew might get a cold or the flu, why would he not let the crew off?

The amount of mind readers on this thread is amazing.
When you understand with the job of the US military is to do ,
you’ll start to understand why he made a bad call .
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:46 pm

Not a mind reader, just a reader ;)

I don't think his mistake was nearly as serious a failure as the prez's, but I won't be surprised if the captain takes the blame. And, the prez's failure wasn't based on a lack of knowledge or people telling him how serious it was.

I can see the sailors texting home saying that the captain won't let them go ashore because he feared the coronavirus. If that hit FOX news, Hannity would let everyone know that the captain disagreed with the president. We know how that usually turns out.

Fwiw, I think the whole testing and ppe/ventilator deployment should be handed over to the military, just like after Katrina.

Hey, I just heard that the Governor of Georgia just found out yesterday that someone didn't have to show symptoms to be infected. I mean, c'mon, he found out yesterday? Oto, I guess it's like finding out there are more than 150 countries in the world. Anyway, the Gov has decided to lockdown his state based on his new knowledge.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Navy captain who raised coronavirus alarm about aircraft carrier relieved of command

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/navy-capt ... rus-alarm/

like I said they should shit can him....looks like they did

The head line should read.

"Navy captain dereliction of duty removed from command"

To be clear his dereliction of duty was failure to understand
what his duty was as caption of a US war ship....in time of a national crises

Its called bad judgement. Happens and is now being corrected

“We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die. If we do not act now,
we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our Sailors.”

How he lasted so long with this mind set,,,,,makes one wonder

He argued he was forced to act “when I have a commanding officer who’s responsible for a nuclear powered aircraft carrier, with all that lethality and all that responsibility, who exercises that poor judgment in a situation in a crisis like this.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... oronavirus

exactly
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:12 pm

FWIW

my thoughts haven't changed as of what I thought 2 weeks ago
data is not in yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UO3Wd5urg0
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:41 pm

The reasons he was relieved wasn't because he stopped in Vietnam, though. He was aware that the Navy was on the case, but he made his comments public, and didn't follow the chain of command. It wasn't "how could he let his men ashore in Vietnam." And, even as noted in his dismissal, no one doubts that he thought he was doing the best for his crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVN0bQGEYoc

Oh, the guy in the "questioning" video isn't you, is it? Are the figures today what you expect? Do you think it's going to be as bad as the seasonal flu? Do you understand the mitigation methods? Actually, no need to answer. If 1,000+ people die every day for a couple of weeks, that will be considered flattening the curve. Projections are based on the figures as they come in. We've had several weeks of statistics, and there's a pattern.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Hey, just for the sake of the figures --because they change in hours.

This Morning: total cases: *216,722 -- Eight hours later 243,453
Total deaths: *5,137 -- Total deaths: 5,926

By tomorrow, there'll be more than 6000 dead --and 4-5x that number needing ICU treatment.
And, remember, the most are in NY. The virus is just starting in most other states. In two weeks, we've gone from 40 deaths to 6000. There are 1 million confirmed cases right now in the world.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:54 pm

one thing that the 'dismissers' keep disregarding - we aren't being told to stay home because it's so dangerous it will kill you - we are being told to stay home because the hospitals are so overwhelmed with people affected by it that they don't have the means to handle that many people safely. That's why they're saying 'flatten the curve', not saying "oh god please don't die". They know many people will eventually get hit by it - this is to lower the throughput of people affected all at once. This isn't even looking at the situations where people aren't just dying due to 'complications of a flu' (eg pneumonia) but the virus itself - 1 moment many of the patients in a hospital are stable, just really sick - 30 minutes later 6 of them are dead.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 pm

for those who like numbers

On any given day, an average of 148,000 people will die. That means over a million people have died in the last week. Nearly 5 million have died since around this time last month, which, incidentally, was exactly when we were briefly bombarded with the news that 199 people were killed in a Brazilian airliner crash.

https://www.latimes.com/la-oe-daum18aug18-column.html

speaking of numbers does anyone know how many people are infected in the US at this time
who haven't been tested yet ?
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Giles on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 am

windwalker wrote:speaking of numbers does anyone know how many people are infected in the US at this time
who haven't been tested yet ?

How long is a piece of string? Surely this is a figure that, by definition, cannot be known? At the best only very roughly estimated.

Seems to me a bit like the famous question: Is there anyone at the back of the room who can't hear me? If so, please raise your hand!
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Michael on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:15 am

Giles wrote:Seems to me a bit like the famous question: Is there anyone at the back of the room who can't hear me? If so, please raise your hand!

Our high school principal said over the intercom to all the classrooms one morning, "Students, this is a very important announcement. If you can not hear this, please go to a room where you can."

Then she told us about a new dress code policy.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That