Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby everything on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:22 pm

spray that can kill coronavirus for up to 7 days EPA approved for use on American Airlines

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/air ... ines-jets/
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:00 pm

I don't know ....I am not the expert.....what do you think?.....
looking over at science team.......do you think we could spray this
inside the lungs?

LOL
roger hao

Postby Peacedog on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Sadly everything potent enough to kill on contact is going to be very bad for lung tissue.

That said, I’m sure it will see a lot of use in hospitals and on public transportation. And since this thing can live for a few days on the surface of certain materials that is potentially a real life saver.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:55 pm

More good news.

A potential therapeutic drug that stops the transmission of CV-19 at the cellular level.

https://bgr.com/2020/08/23/coronavirus- ... al-trial/#
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:10 pm

definitely some promising news out there.

buy all the biotech and pharma stocks!
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:18 pm

everything wrote:man the stock market is going crazy. s&p500 hit all time high, mostly driven by tech stocks.

but people seem to think (irrational exuberance) that all the covid woes will be gone soon.

that, or cheap money means there is not much better investment vehicle, relatively speaking

Everything we do during and after this crisis [COVID-19] must be with a strong focus on building more equal, inclusive and sustainable economies and societies that are more resilient in the face of pandemics, climate change, and the many other global challenges we face.

António Guterres
Secretary-General, United Nations
Trick

Postby bailewen on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:11 am

Ian went a little to meta for me to follow.

I can't even tell what I posted any more.

I'm still staggered by how stupid the internet has seemed to made most people.

Everyone's an expert now. "Elite" is a slur. Black is white. White is black. Don't believe your lying eyes.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:51 am

yeah we really are collectively losing intelligence it seems.

on the stock market, i heard yesterday the 10% wealthiest now own 87% of all stocks. up from 79% from many years ago. so it's really on a different track from Main Street. ultimately driving up something like travel stocks should both rely on spending from consumers (Main St) and mean jobs for those consumers (Main St), though, so the explanation of future-looking and low interest rates still makes sense .... I guess.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:50 am

When they tell you that the "economy" is booming, it means that the wealthy are getting wealthier. That is supposed to trickle down in the form of jobs, which will allow them to buy what they produce.

However, the question is really about what the people (working and unemployed) need. Since the pandemic, credit card usage has gone down and savings have gone up. Simple reason: average people are insecure, and are spending on necessities, but they'd love to spend their money, if they're employed or have income. The problem is the pandemic. If no one was in the hospital, there wouldn't be any problem.

Will WS rise when the pandemic is over? It's likely that the epidemic here won't be over any time soon. There'll just be better treatments and/or a vaccine most people will take. I'd bet that much of the stock market gains are in the pharmaceutical and health industries. Yep, investing in that area is probably smart. But, which company producing a vaccine or treatment should you invest in? So, people with resources are investing all over the place.

Otoh, notice that the prices of gold and silver are also going up. To me, that means that people are conserving it, but it's a terrible time to buy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:17 pm

This consumer confidence metric just hit a pandemic low
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/consu ... 2020-08-25

That's probably a better indicator of how the actual economy (as opposed to stocks) may do in the near future.

People are just "buying on the rumor" I suppose.
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 am

Another hydroxychloroquine study out of Belgium. This one showed about a 1/3rd reduction in fatalities amongst hospitalized patients across the board (17% treated versus 27% untreated). Not a bad finding.

Certainly no miracle cure, but if I were laid up in the hospital I’d want this therapy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:48 am

People are getting infected more than once suggesting herd immunity is unlikely

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/08 ... ason-panic

The one guy in HK was asymptomatic the second time, though.
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:51 am

Yeah, I saw that article. Not the best news.

It does seem to indicate that future infections will be less severe. Hopefully that is the case.

We will see in any event.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:48 am

Peacedog wrote:Another hydroxychloroquine study out of Belgium. This one showed about a 1/3rd reduction in fatalities amongst hospitalized patients across the board (17% treated versus 27% untreated). Not a bad finding.

Certainly no miracle cure, but if I were laid up in the hospital I’d want this therapy.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub

Thanks for including a link to the study. I think that you are misinterpreting the data. For example, there was reported 17.7% deaths for those treated with HCQ and 27.1% for no-HCQ, but this means that the IMPROVEMENT was only for <10% of the patients when compared with the no-CHQ patients (27.1-17.7=9.4); this is NOT a “1/3 reduction.” Still, that is significant and should be considered when treatment options are considered.

The positive of the study are that it analyzed a relatively large number of patients (HCQ n=4542, No-HCQ n=3533), the negative is that the treatment was not randomized, and the reasons for treating some patients and not others is not specified. This lack of randomization could lead to biases and lack of rigor for the results. Also, because the mortality rate for these patients is so high (almost 22% of those included in the study), they are probably only looking at the sickest people and this probably cannot be generalized to less sick patients.

Some information from the data (table 2):
1) The mean age for those receiving treatment with HCQ was 66 (54-78) whereas that for no-HCQ was 77 (63-85). Since we know that age is a significant factor in the mortality from this disease, then could the improved results from HCQ treatment be simply due to the age difference of the two groups (those treated with HCQ compared with those not receiving HCQ treatments)?
2) A higher percentage of the no-HCQ patients had pre-existing cardiovascular disease (40.9% vs. 30.7%). Since we know that co-morbidities also affects survival from COVID-19, could this 10.2% difference account for the 9.4% difference shown between these two groups?

There are too many uncertainties in this study to be anywhere close to being definitive. More studies with better controls would need to be carried out.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:53 am

Treatments are cool --because there's little chance for prevention, they are the only remaining options.

We said "we'll see" in March. What we see today is the result of what we did in the past. That's life.

Do all you can to avoid getting sick ... now. It's inevitable that life will normalize.

Actually, I like some of the new normals. They should allow street restaurants (like in European cities) every summer.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That