Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby everything on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:11 pm

testing sewage could be a key early warning approach

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/europe/g ... index.html
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:31 pm

That study in Lancet that disputed the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine may have serious flaws.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opin ... here-67595

https://spectator.org/lancetgate-pullin ... loroquine/
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Maybe flawed, but if it worked, it would be hard to refute and easy to reproduce. It is being used, and was being used earlier --in veteran's homes. The FDA study reported that more patients in those home who took hydrochloroquine died than those who didn't.

At any rate, ideally it'd be better if people didn't catch the virus.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:42 pm

everything wrote:testing sewage could be a key early warning approach

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/europe/g ... index.html

It makes sense. Let's see what the EPA has to say.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:37 pm

graphic of various models predicting the trajectory of deaths in the USA.

looks (just eyeballing the chart) like some flattening of the rate of death curve - according to different forecasts - starting in late in July, possibly after hitting 150k deaths.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... HXo_qBGOaA
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:18 pm

it's good to admit you were wrong and hopefully learn from mistakes in case it happens again
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 pm

everything wrote:it's good to admit you were wrong and hopefully learn from mistakes in case it happens again

what mistake ?

what does " to many deaths" mean ?

lets see if there is a spike in 2 weeks because of the recent activities
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Steve James wrote:
Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Anders Tegnell said in an interview with Swedish Radio.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... HXo_qBGOaA

This guy I’m sure have to follow suit, it’s the prime minister guy that should straighten his back and admit wrongs.........

Yes there have been more deaths so far compared to other years, but seemingly not a very great number more as I read the figures(can’t bother to find the source right now) . But why more deaths this year ? Since 2015 Sweden has taken in huge amount of refugees, lots of people who yet are not integrated into the society and so have not the proper access to relevant information on ongoing situations, many of these people live 6-8 persons in small apartments. This is one probably reason, and Mr.Tegnell can not be hold responsible for.
It’s the prime minister and his government(party) that are responsible, and its them that should stand up and apologize.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:18 am

I thought most of the deaths in Sweden were among the elderly, not immigrants.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:34 am

Steve James wrote:I thought most of the deaths in Sweden were among the elderly, not immigrants.

Immigrants as the locals comes in all age groups. As I wrote, immigrant families often live very cramped, big family in small apartments, and most live in “immigrant” communities .... Many elderly immigrants can’t speak the language and often can’t take part in relevant information, if that information would reach out to those communities at all.
I would guess that most people out in those communities don’t know who Mr.Tegnell is
Trick

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 am

So most of those who died in Sweden weren't Swedish, but elderly immigrants in nursing homes? Do you have a link for that?

Yeah, immigrants often live in worse conditions than citizens anywhere they go. It's also likely that they have higher incidences of all diseases. Still, let's say all the victims were immigrants. They didn't bring the virus to Sweden, and it really doesn't matter in terms of the statistics. Sure, we could say, "If we don't count ____s, the numbers would be lower."

My point is that it doesn't matter who died.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:39 am

Steve James wrote:So most of those who died in Sweden weren't Swedish, but elderly immigrants in nursing homes? Do you have a link for that?

I don't exactly know how many of the deceased are born in Sweden o have parents born in Sweden. But the virus here is focused to clusters. The most affected areas are either those with much immigrants and nursing homes.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:52 am

Bao wrote:
Steve James wrote:So most of those who died in Sweden weren't Swedish, but elderly immigrants in nursing homes? Do you have a link for that?

I don't exactly know how many of the deceased are born in Sweden o have parents born in Sweden. But the virus here is focused to clusters. The most affected areas are either those with much immigrants and nursing homes.

Sure. It doesn't seem unusual. But, I thought the issue was how many people in Sweden who died could have been saved if the government had reacted differently. It didn't really matter to me who the dead were. I'm just saying.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:04 am

Steve James wrote:But, I thought the issue was how many people in Sweden who died could have been saved if the government had reacted differently. It didn't really matter to me who the dead were.

Agreed.

With the (anti-) strategy of not closing down, some of the areas could not be protected. Even if nursing homes would be protected, at least some of immigrants areas would still be the same. So the "strategy" of keeping everything open would still be devastating to some elderly groups. But nursing homes /elderly homes /hospitals could have be protected if the staff wore proper protection. They don't. Because no one took the virus seriously and no one organised anything to practically implement the strategies in the society. >:(

In Sweden, there is no national standard, regions operate by their own and no one takes responsibility. In fact, the whole Swedish system is created so no one needs to take responsibility and everyone can blame someone else. :-[
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That