Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am

Roger. I'm not going to take that vaccine. Though, I will get next season's flu shot.

The fact is that we "know" now that the coronavirus is not seasonal, at least not in the same way that the flu is. So, unfortunately, it may become as endemic as the common cold. Since I live in a former hotspot, I feel I've been exposed to this variant. Either I had some resistance or built some up to the most severe reactions to the virus. Next year this time, though, I'd be willing to reconsider that vaccine.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry much about going to the hospital. I haven't heard an ambulance siren today.

Hey, I hope you and yours are legal no Brasil. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am

Steve - Brazil is having big success with HQ treatment.

We are cool there - thanks.
Esposa is there working real estate deals rt now.
Recently acquired ocean view half acre lot.
I want to go this month but have to tell you it scares me to travel.
Extremely busy here in Tx - business is phenomenal - surfing the
5G wave.
roger hao

Postby Trick on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:09 pm

Steve James wrote:
https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=2085803

Face masks are worn by all operating room personnel when treating patients susceptible to infections as in neurosurgery, vascular, and orthopedic procedures involving implants and regional anesthesia procedures (e.g. , spinal or epidural). Face masks are also used to protect staff from contamination. All personnel wear face masks when taking care of trauma patients or patients with blood-borne infections.

I think Laodan's assertion was a bit too broad, but not inaccurate. Yeah, in Sweden, face masks might not be worn by everyone in operating rooms, but it really depends on the type of operation. And, if the operating room staff there wear masks "sometimes," that means that they feel masks work, but are not always necessary.

Anyway, in this thread, the best evidence would be how the staff there deal with coronavirus patients. For ex.,

Inside the intensive care unit at Södertälje Hospital during the coronavirus crisis. Photo: Staffan Löwstedt / SvD / TT

Anyway, why don't the people who don't believe how many people the virus helps kill or that masks help stop the spread of the virus just get "Do not resuscitate" medical bracelets for them and their kids? I hate hearing about these famous deniers ending up in hospitals taking up resources, when they'll die anyway. Right? (Just being sarcastic. Nobody'd do that).

Today on yahoo news headlines - bikini doctor. The story happened some years back so not Covid19 related, and it’s not in an operating room,....it’s more an bikini story.....however in an hospital, with wounded patients...and no face masks 8-) https://news.yahoo.com/story-behind-wid ... 00791.html
Trick

Postby Trick on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 pm

roger hao wrote:
any vaccine on Bill Gates and Dr Fauci .

Those guys don’t do vaccines, they do Adrenochrome.....
Trick

Postby everything on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:30 pm

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:56 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9fNTB5vCYA

People without children won't understand.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:15 am

To Trick -
Adrenochrome -

Unbelievably - for me - the one piece of the puzzle that makes
all the insanity plausible.
roger hao

Postby LaoDan on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 am

Trick wrote:Today on yahoo news headlines - bikini doctor. The story happened some years back so not Covid19 related, and it’s not in an operating room,....it’s more an bikini story.....however in an hospital, with wounded patients...and no face masks 8-) https://news.yahoo.com/story-behind-wid ... 00791.html

Open wounds can be sanitized, a patient’s lungs cannot.
Last edited by LaoDan on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:57 pm

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 pm

roger hao wrote:To Trick -
Adrenochrome -

Unbelievably - for me - the one piece of the puzzle that makes
all the insanity plausible.

The few articles about B.Gates and his vaccination propaganda on Yahoo headlines the last couple of weeks, in the photos Gates have been looking a little “wild”,,,,, in one pic he could have been mistaken for Woody Allen .... 8-)
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:21 pm

LaoDan wrote:
Trick wrote:Today on yahoo news headlines - bikini doctor. The story happened some years back so not Covid19 related, and it’s not in an operating room,....it’s more an bikini story.....however in an hospital, with wounded patients...and no face masks 8-) https://news.yahoo.com/story-behind-wid ... 00791.html

Then now are you in line of no face masks needed in operation rooms ?...maybe even in favor for bikini surgeons doing the scalpel work.. 8-)
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 pm

Another article on the utility of masks.

At this point I'm not sure what to believe.

Respiratory function is definitely stressed by wearing a mask and I can't see as how that can be healthy over a long period of time like on a trans-Pacific flight.

By the same token viruses are so small and the fact the paper N95 masks don't seal in practice that well I have a hard time seeing how they are really effective preventing transmission.

I could see their utility in prevent a droplet from entering via the mouth and nose. Which is why they are worn in a surgery. Most people without the experience don't realize how once you open a body up blood and fluids literally fly everywhere. And none of that deals with a virus that can enter via the mucosa around the eyes. For that you would need a full face mask.

But an aerosol would only be stopped if the mask is completely sealing all the time. And frankly I haven't seen that in practice using the paper masks. You would need a respirator that is fitted. And those are very uncomfortable for any length of time as someone who has ever worn a gas mask can attest to.

https://fee.org/articles/europes-top-he ... rce=zapier
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Trick wrote:
LaoDan wrote:

Then now are you in line of no face masks needed in operation rooms ?...maybe even in favor for bikini surgeons doing the scalpel work.. 8-)

There are reports of people drinking hand sanitizer, so I am not assuming that people know the differences between external applications and internal ones.

While I appreciate your efforts to find examples of exceptions to standard practices, I think that the principles behind the standard practices are still valid.

Peacedog wrote: viruses are so small...

Respiratory droplets are much larger than viruses are – one can see their breath in cold weather, for example, but cannot see viruses without the aid of a microscope.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:11 pm

Afa belief, it's a simple matter of making a choice. Either one wears a mask/face covering/covers one's mouth or one doesn't. It's on or off. However, the effectiveness of wearing a mask is not digital. It's not that masks (etc) work 100% of the time at anything. However, it's obviously true that they have some effect at some times. If they did not work at all, then no one in a hospital dealing with viral infections would wear them. People who do use them in a hospital setting (with high viral loads) believe that masks work. So, there's no reason for me to believe that masks are not at least somewhat effective.

If most people in a given community do not wear masks, it will make less of a difference than if most do. There's no guarantee that infections won't spread no matter what people do. The virus only spreads from person to person. Wearing a mouth and nose covering prevents a person from spreading the virus easily. If someone isn't worried about getting sick, then not wearing a mask is fine. The question is whether it's fine for people who worry about getting sick, or who come in contact with people who are worried about it.

Anyway, at some point it won't matter. Right now, the disunified response equals a national half-measure that won't work, because it's a half measure.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That