Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby roger hao on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:25 pm

Ian -
I still think that calling people that don't follow the WHO covidiots
is the definition of bigotry.
Last edited by roger hao on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger hao

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:56 pm

Alternative view point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_Z7Gf1aRE

Great Barrington Declaration - As infectious disease epidemiologists and public health scientists we have grave concerns about the damaging physical and mental health impacts of the prevailing COVID-19 policies, and recommend an approach we call Focused Protection.

https://gbdeclaration.org/
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Am I wrong about the lethality?

Yes, but not really. Iinm, you argued that the virus was not lethal --a la Bolsonaro's gripezinha. Yet, 215K people have died. (Of which, NYS accounts for 33K). So, arguing that the virus is "less lethal" now is true, but the death count is still increasing.

I agree with the facts, and that is that far too many people have died and are dying. However, I've always argued that the major effect of the virus comes from the stress it puts on the health care system. Iow, from my pov, the rise in hospitalizations makes the situation worse --whether or not the patients survive or die.

If there are no more hospitalizations, there'll be no more need to worry. Right now, the US is averaging over 500 deaths per day, but hospitalizations are going up. How about we play God and say we're ok with 100 deaths per day. That adds up in a month. But, I made that same statistical argument months ago.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:13 pm

Was in line at the store tonight. Fucking idiots behind us kept scooting up behind us. Everybody else is following the clearly marked signs on the ground "stand here" (about 6 ft apart). We didn't turn around. Later we could see one not wearing a mask, one had her mask pulled down (WTF - why do you have a mask and then pull it down?).

What THE FUCK is that? An "alternative view"???? Does it hurt to stand a few more feet away? I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK. Really????? Why NOT just stand a few feet farther? is that really necessary? I mean, c'mon. It's not like they were teenagers. Middle aged "normal" looking adults. That just seems like idiocy. If you think LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE (99 out of 100) there must be out of their minds, does it really hurt you to follow some SIMPLE FUCKING GUIDELINES? Are you trying to get rich from vaccines? I mean good god, there is no explanation. Like the people going around coughing on people.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:37 pm

everything wrote:Was in line at the store tonight. Fucking idiots behind us kept scooting up behind us. Everybody else is following the clearly marked signs on the ground "stand here" (about 6 ft apart). We didn't turn around. Later we could see one not wearing a mask, one had her mask pulled down (WTF - why do you have a mask and then pull it down?).

What THE FUCK is that? An "alternative view"???? Does it hurt to stand a few more feet away? I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK. Really????? Why NOT just stand a few feet farther? is that really necessary? I mean, c'mon. It's not like they were teenagers. Middle aged "normal" looking adults. That just seems like idiocy.

If you think LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE (99 out of 100) there must be out of their minds, does it really hurt you to follow some SIMPLE FUCKING GUIDELINES? Are you trying to get rich from vaccines? I mean good god, there is no explanation. Like the people going around coughing on people.

An alternative view is just that, another view point expressed by those in the field noted epidemiologist.

Try watching and listening to what they say and why....

Notice you didn't mention the protesters/rioters
To your point, if you are not feeling safe where you are,
you can always move to another place where you do.

Where I live, people wear a mask to go into a restaurant, take it off to eat and put it back on to leave.
Doesn't make much sense, but if ya wanna eat in a restaurant, gotta go with the flow.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:38 pm

. These are the same people who are responsible for the extent of the pandemic. These are the same people who make the world a far worse place.
yes spreading Covid anxiety all over the place, they’ll soon get what they deserve....
Trick

Postby Trick on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:58 pm

everything wrote:Was in line at the store tonight. Fucking idiots behind us kept scooting up behind us. Everybody else is following the clearly marked signs on the ground "stand here" (about 6 ft apart). We didn't turn around. Later we could see one not wearing a mask, one had her mask pulled down (WTF - why do you have a mask and then pull it down?).

What THE FUCK is that? An "alternative view"???? Does it hurt to stand a few more feet away? I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK. Really????? Why NOT just stand a few feet farther? is that really necessary? I mean, c'mon. It's not like they were teenagers. Middle aged "normal" looking adults. That just seems like idiocy. If you think LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE (99 out of 100) there must be out of their minds, does it really hurt you to follow some SIMPLE FUCKING GUIDELINES? Are you trying to get rich from vaccines? I mean good god, there is no explanation. Like the people going around coughing on people.

Can’t you buy online rather than in-line, at home you can freely ? loud out yell
.Fucking idiots, What THE FUCK , I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK. Really????? , SIMPLE FUCKING,
add some Robert Deniro taxi driver lines in front the mirror.. 8-)
Last edited by Trick on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:56 am

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:Herd immunity is not something that one accepts or not.
Herd immunity, a term for something that will happen naturally or though intervention that speeds up the process.

Yes of course. But I don't need to accept how politicians use it. ;)

from today’s SVT(Swedish state television)news site, your local politicians might now get green light on an “total lockdown” of your hometown.....
Last edited by Trick on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby everything on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:47 am

lolol, avoiding covidiots is possible via everything online, yes, but still, WTH. I think some people are not just idiots, but have some kind of mild sociopathic tendencies. Maybe it's the mental health issues associated with the isolation and economic difficulties, but still, WTH. It seems to be USAmericans in particular who can't just stand a little farther, or worse, want to cough on people or wave around guns in Walmart. How hard is it to not do obnoxious things? Your half-baked thoughts and pandemic difficulties are an excuse? I can't expect everyone to understand public health, but this is shit nobody even wants their toddlers to do, and adults can't seem to control themselves.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 am

It seems to be USAmericans in particular who can't just stand a little farther, or worse, want to cough on people or wave around guns in Walmart.

Ah, you mean those who say they'd do anything for the country except wear a mask if they don't want to. Or, do you mean the patriots who think that kidnapping governors will liberate their states from oppression? All because of coronavirus restrictions, or just to use it as an excuse?

Like you said, alternative to what? ...wearing a mask and at least trying to keep one's distance? NYS has been opening back up, and cases have been increasing. That was predictable. Restaurants can seat 25% capacity. Movies aren't open. No idea when they will, but I'd call the reopening gradual. The alternative would be a sudden reopening.

There's going to be a rise in fall in the number of cases for a while. How many and how long will depend on what people do or don't do. Because there are people who are ideologically bound to be against any treatment or mitigation method not promoted by the president, there will be opponents to wearing masks and social distancing who refuse to comply.

Consider that the US hasn't had 10 million cases yet. Remember that argument about "herd immunity"? Remember the suggestion that it only too 40% of the population for it to work with coronavirus (even though traditional textbooks say it takes 80-90% to achieve? Well, 40% of 330 million people is quite a bit more than 10 million, no? Do the math yourself, then figure out long it will take for that to happen if it's a solution.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:12 am

I'm not really talking about the idiots who make up their own alternate reality, and don't seem to realize they're stupid. But on that tangent, it's easy to know if you're not smart in, say, reading or 'rithmetic. You should have some rough sense from school. I know I'm relatively good at math and relatively not so great at literature. I know I'm not talented in sports, music, or arts. How hard is to realize "maybe I don't understand history or philosophy, logic, math, public health, public policy" that well? If you're deeply anti-intellectual as some kind of intellectual philosophy, it should still be relatively easy to be humble enough to realize you don't know these topics so well.

I'm just talking about having some fucking courtesy the way you'd expect your own or someone else's toddler child to have. Do you want your toddler kids coughing on people, scooting right up to them, or waving around guns at Walmart? If no, why is it OK for adults to act like toddlers???? This is my rant even in non-pandemic times. Fucking have some dignity and nice behavior. No, you're not a fucking teenage rebel without a cause, and no it isn't fucking cool. It's not about your "rights" from some historical document you don't even understand and don't realize you don't understand. It's just simple fucking non-toddler behavior.

Putting those two together, you get people who don't seem to realize they act like toddlers, and don't seem to realize they're not smart enough on certain topics. Then you do stupid shit, have some badly reasoned philosophy about it to rationalize you're "special" and everyone else is "liberal" or "whatever label", then you really are THE REASON we can't have nice things. Ugh. And they don't even know it.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:51 pm

Sound as that Sam Cooke song...without the love part then... 8-)
Last edited by Trick on Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby everything on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 am

"What a Wonderful World"? Lol. That was a really Jimmy reply if you only pasted gifs.

everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:34 am

roger hao wrote:Ian -

Well, I would say that this statement reveals two things: you don't really understand what a bigot is, and, you are falling into that stereotype of conservative crybabies who make fun of social justice but whinge about the war on Christmas or for being told they are morons for denying science.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 am

roger hao wrote:Ian -

My people have a saying, it goes, "Stupid is as stupid does"
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji