Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby everything on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:46 am

why are cases going up but death rate is lower? non crazy comments
https://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=53858
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 am

It is herd immunity
roger hao

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:56 am

everything wrote:why are cases going up but death rate is lower? non crazy comments
https://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=53858

Wouldn’t it be expected as more people tested are asymptomatic,
Coupled with an understanding and some protocols that increase the chances of survival for those in high-risk groups
that are affected.

It’s been argued that herd immunity has not been achieved due to the fact that we have not reached the numbers citing the cases tested. The main stream information sources report increasing spread due to positives of those tested.
The testing itself has been expanded to include anybody who wants to be tested.

In many other countries it’s still limited to those who have symptoms. There’s no cure or vaccination yet developed.
Isolation can only slow the spread not stop .

Seems like if most people are asymptomatic or have very light symptoms, one might conclude that many people already had or have the virus. The main issue was not to overwhelm the hospitals with those who are affected.
Even this is problematic as the reporting doesn’t necessarily specify it’s due to the virus cases as in Texas.
The increases reported were due to more cases being taken after opening up the hospitals to other types of surgeries, taking
up ICU beds.

Testing only confirms what has already happened.

Herd immunity one of the ways that naturally the viruses are dealt with.
Vaccinations once developed as a way to achieve what’s called herd immunity
at a faster rate.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby P. Li on Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:57 am

That's due to increased testing. Before the only tracked cases were mostly from hospitalizations so you had a higher concentration of severe cases.
P. Li
Mingjing

Postby Steve James on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am

There is a lag between hospitalization and death. The death "rate" is slower, right now; but the rate of hospitalization is higher than it's ever been. We'll have to wait and see how many die, though most will recover.

Herd "immunity" means nothing if people are still going to the hospital. Hospitalization and people staying home from illness is what causes businesses to shut down and restrictions to be put in place, NOT the death rate. If everyone right now went to hang out in close quarters with crowds of people, we'd have "herd immunity" sooner. That is not necessarily a good thing.

If people weren't being hospitalized (or home incapacitated), there wouldn't be a problem. When the hospitals get back to normal, or even flu season normal, then the rest of society can safely move ahead. Right now, we've got 50K new cases every day. And, the percentage of positive cases is going up in comparison to the previous month.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 am

I do not understand the apparent need to minimize the threat of this coronavirus. Perhaps someone could explain it to me.

How many times do those seeking to minimize the threat need to get it wrong before they finally start to take this virus seriously?

Before it became a pandemic it was a hoax.
Then maybe it would not reach the USA.
Then it was only a few cases that were being controlled.
Then it was only similar to the seasonal flu.
Then it could die off on its own.
Then it could die off in the heat of the summer months.
Then it was only seriously affecting certain vulnerable groups.
Etc.
[Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong...]

Now it is only seriously affecting 1% of those who contract the virus?
Now it is primarily the young who are now contracting it, and so it is no longer serious?
Now it is herd immunity already being achieved?
Etc.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:01 am

LaoDan wrote:I do not understand the apparent need to minimize the threat of this coronavirus. Perhaps someone could explain it to me.

How many times do those seeking to minimize the threat need to get it wrong before they finally start to take this virus seriously?

Before it became a pandemic it was a hoax.
Then maybe it would not reach the USA.
Then it was only a few cases that were being controlled.
Then it was only similar to the seasonal flu.
Then it could die off on its own.
Then it could die off in the heat of the summer months.
Then it was only seriously affecting certain vulnerable groups.
Etc.
[Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong...]

Now it is only seriously affecting 1% of those who contract the virus?
Now it is primarily the young who are now contracting it, and so it is no longer serious?
Now it is herd immunity already being achieved?
Etc.

One could post clips of people many site as authoritative figures advocating for all the points now “wrong “ before,
agreeing now they are.

Why bother?

The governor of California asking other businesses to close, while he recommends a trip to his vineyard.
Must be nice

For those with a fear of the virus they should take the proper precautions and probably stay inside avoid large crowds, this includes what are called protest.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:20 am

Then let’s look at just one that I never heard of prior to this week. Who are the “experts” who are claiming that we have already reached herd immunity in the USA? I am not aware of Dr. Fauci stating this. Did I miss it?
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 pm

LaoDan wrote:Then let’s look at just one that I never heard of prior to this week. Who are the “experts” who are claiming that we have already reached herd immunity in the USA? I am not aware of Dr. Fauci stating this. Did I miss it?

Nope. The "experts" seem to be saying that things are getting worse here. Europe has banned travel from the US, and Mexico, and Canada are closing their borders. Canadians are even talking about putting up a hedge. (You know, a friendlier wall).

For the first time in my memory, Americans can't go anywhere.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Herd immunity would mean vaccine is only needed
at the same level as FLU vaccine = worthless.
Dr. Fauci has a stake in the development and purchase of vaccine.
That simple bias taints any statements he might make about herd immunity.

I have not heard any "expert" claim we have achieved herd immunity
but it is here and will be achieved before a vaccine. The scale has tipped.
I like what Robert Kennedy has to say about Bill Gates and his self-appointed
world health leader status.
And................I like what Ron Paul has to say about herd immunity.
roger hao

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:12 am

What Data? What have they tried to cover up? :-\ Everybody say that they have tried to cover up things, but so far I haven’t seen any proof of that.

[
. Given the simplicity and utility of this step this lack of transparency suggests that there is something to hide. If so, it must be important. But then the question is: What?

https://www.independentsciencenews.org/ ... ab-origin/

Comprehensive article touches on some of the questions here
windwalker
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 am

windwalker wrote:
LaoDan wrote:I do not understand the apparent need to minimize the threat of this coronavirus. Perhaps someone could explain it to me.

One could post clips of people many site as authoritative figures advocating for all the points now “wrong “ before,
agreeing now they are.

So, the reason for sticking with a viewpoint that downplays the seriousness of the coronavirus is: that you could find some “authorities” that supported that viewpoint initially? And after those “authorities” were shown to be wrong time after time after time...? Why are these sources still being listened to? Why haven’t you found sources with a better track record?

For an as yet unexplained reason [I can speculate on my own, but since they are rather unflattering I will not post them here] people wish to downplay the severity of the coronavirus and then can find SOME “authorities” that support their preconceived notions and desires? And they continue, for some unexplained reason, to stick with their desired position even after it is shown to be consistently wrong?

One can continue with the idea that this coronavirus is not serious because what?, that there is no absolute PROOF yet?, that there is still SOME doubt?, that there are STILL some supporters of this position (i.e., “authorities”)???
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

So, the reason for sticking with a viewpoint that downplays the seriousness of the coronavirus is: that you could find some “authorities” that supported that viewpoint initially? And after those “authorities” were shown to be wrong time after time after time...? Why are these sources still being listened to? Why haven’t you found sources with a better track record?

No one here is claiming the virus is not dangerous or cannot hurt people.
What many are saying is that those authoritative figures have supported the ideas that they are now against.
Businesses are shut down, people are told to stay indoors, while large protest are applauded and allowed to continue
With no one being arrested or fined for violating the same mandates that are enforced for lawful businesses.

Even the idea of heard immunity is not settled science with some scientist on both sides citing different numbers for when this will happen.

My bet, after November most of this won’t be an issue.

You’re little old for having a bogeyman.
Might work on letting it go
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:46 am

If the public has learned a lesson from the COVID-19 pandemic it is that science does not generate certainty.

Do homemade face masks work?
What is the death rate of COVID-19?
How accurate are the tests?
How many people have no symptoms? And so on.

Practically the lone undisputed assertion made so far is that all the nearest known genetic relatives of its cause, the Sars-CoV-2 virus, are found in horseshoe bats (Zhou et al., 2020). Therefore, the likely viral reservoir was a bat.

However, most of these ancestor-like bat coronaviruses cannot infect humans

science does not generate certainty.

https://www.independentsciencenews.org/ ... ab-origin/

An article written by scientist presenting facts as known at this time allowing the reader to draw their own conclusions.

It’s understandable that people are skeptical of those held up as authoritative figures, being told to do something that is not uniformly enforced, impacting their life directly or indirectly with no real recourse to address the system that seems to be rather arbitrary in it’s enforcement of mandates that it claims to be based on science.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 am

The crux of the matter

An investigation is needed, but who will do it?

If the Shi lab has anything to hide, it is not only the Chinese Government that will be reluctant to see an impartial investigation proceed.

Much of the work was funded by the US taxpayer, channeled there by Peter Daszak and the EcoHealth Alliance. Virtually every credible international organisation that might in principle carry out such an investigation, the WHO, the US CDC, the FAO, the US NIH, including the Gates Foundation, is either an advisor to, or a partner of, the EcoHealth Alliance. If the Sars-CoV-2 outbreak originated from the bat coronavirus work at the WIV then just about every major institution in the global public health community is implicated.

People talk about pointing the finger at China when many of those fingers would point back to many sources throughout the world. It’s no wonder that no serious inquiry is allowed, even the possibility of the lab as the source dismissed.

The article cites the lab usage as being one of understanding and predicting future pandemics, by creating conditions where they can be studied in a lab. Ironically the origin point for this virus is close to or from the lab that is said to be used for predicting and understanding them.

Creating them to do so.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That