Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:05 am

What you think is irrelevant to what is happening. If it's your opinion, it's your opinion. You can disagree with what is being done. You can't say that if it wasn't being done, it would be better. Everyone directly concerned with the virus says that their hospitals are being overwhelmed now, as in as we speak. If we went back to normal today, do you think the outcome would be better? How do you decide when lockdowns or social distancing should be instituted and when it should be stopped? Should it ever have been started?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 am

Michael wrote:Image

It is odd how many talking about freedom of information looking at China suppressing, controlling it,
seem to welcome the same suppression , control in the west.

Very correct about the numbers much of the same was said by the presidents task force.
Some treatments look promising therapies have been approved by the FDA.

As part of a medical field unit we trained for mass casualty events and operating in an NBC environments.
Would expect as more information is known people will adapt, understanding how to operate in this environment
Protecting themselves and others.
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 am

Um, before I get outraged at Twitter censoring Bolsonaro, I'd be interested in knowing what he said. Does anybody have a quote? Do you believe what he said?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:24 am

Everyone directly concerned with the virus says that their hospitals are being overwhelmed now, as in as we speak.

Some hospitals' capacity in NYC are severely stressed, but are they overwhelmed? I haven't heard that, but I didn't read the corona news this morning.

If we went back to normal today, do you think the outcome would be better?

Two weeks was a good time period to rally the troops and sort of teach the public about what they can do. After that, the lockdowns and quarantines need to be much more specific and much more strict, like the Chinese model where only one person from a household is allowed to go out and buy food, but that is not going to happen in the USA at this stage, and perhaps not at any stage. What they did was effective, but it was based on several factors that are different here, such as dependency on public transport there. I bring this up because it is chronologically what has been effective in the world since the pandemic began even though it is essentially irrelevant to almost any other country. What is shows it what is necessary and demonstrates that other types of generalized lockdowns are ineffective.

South Korea and Japan have slowed the spread with Chinese type lockdowns, probably because of masks and personal hygiene habits.

However, more specifically focused measures, such as clean-room entrance/exit to hospitals, decontamination of transit areas, etc., would be helpful compared to a generalized "lockdown" where people are out shopping in maybe 99% of the "locked down" areas, but half of the businesses are considered non-essential and are closed.

How do you decide when lockdowns or social distancing should be instituted and when it should be stopped? Should it ever have been started?

The social distancing that I see around me and on the news is not very effective, but self-isolation is until you go outside without a mask and breathe near a grocery store cashier also not wearing a mask. The social distancing we are doing is basically a training exercise and probably not slowing the spread of the virus. If it were to be done more strictly, such as hospital triage, the benefit from that could be much greater and I do not compare that kind of professional protocol being strictly followed to Joe Schmoe without a mask standing two arm lengths away from Sally Smith inside a closed room, waiting in line to buy some duct tape for him and a curling iron for her.
Michael

Postby emptycloud on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 am

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2020/03/28 ... -lockdown/

check out some of these Slog posts for the skinny..

Rich
emptycloud

Postby meeks on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:45 am

I saw the video this morning. He was saying that the covid-19 was not a big deal and that they shouldn't shut down businesses out of fear. He encouraged people to come out of social isolation and posted pictures of himself at a busy public market to encourage people to go about their lives as if covid-19 should just be ignored.

If I recall correctly, he was banned not for speaking out as 'this is a hoax' (quick, we must silence him!!) but because he was putting people's lives at risk by encouraging them to go ignore all warnings and increase the risk of a health crisis.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:48 am

Some hospitals' capacity in NYC are severely stressed, but are they overwhelmed? I haven't heard that, but I didn't read the corona news this morning.

Overwhelmed is when health workers don't have enough protective equipment and die, too. The corp of engineers just converted a convention center into a makeshift hospital --to accept only non-covid patients. A hospital ship has just arrived, too. Why? Because the number of covid patients who require isolation and ventilation is increasing exponentially. So, it's not about whether there are enough beds today, the peak is expected 14 days from now. The peak, not the end, in two weeks.

Two weeks was a good time period to rally the troops and sort of teach the public about what they can do. After that, the lockdowns and quarantines need to be much more specific and much more strict,

So, you're suggesting more stricter methods than have been used here. I.e., we've been on lockdown for two weeks already. :) Don't worry. You don't keep up with the developments, but I do (here). Stricter measures have already been considered. Parks and playgrounds may be shut down if people continue to ignore social distancing. Oh, many of them might share your feelings, and that's why they go out.

Like I said, you have no mathematical or medical reason to believe that what is being done here now is not working. In fact, it's clear that more infections mean more infected and that the percentage of people has to go up with the number of infections.

The social distancing that I see around me and on the news is not very effective,

You mean that people aren't doing it. Oh well, herd immunity is very Darwinistic. There are several churches I've seen who insist on having congregations. It reminds me of the end of "War of the Worlds." You know, when they're all in church when they learn that human viruses or germs are killing the aliens. Bring up the organ music.

Anyway, if the social distancing isn't effective, and ya'll are not masking up and self isolating, good luck.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am

meeks wrote:He encouraged people to come out of social isolation and posted pictures of himself at a busy public market to encourage people to go about their lives as if covid-19 should just be ignored.

If I recall correctly, he was banned not for speaking out as 'this is a hoax' (quick, we must silence him!!) but because he was putting people's lives at risk by encouraging them to go ignore all warnings and increase the risk of a health crisis.

Oh. I thought it was interesting because Bolsonaro wants to be able to censor Brazil's internet. Oh well, herd immunity is a thing. It's just costly.

Mexico's president is also not encouraging changes in behavior. We'll just have to see how it works for them.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Careful. The JD asked for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLldF8xKewc
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:38 pm

windwalker wrote:
Michael wrote:Image

It is odd how many talking about freedom of information looking at China suppressing, controlling it,
seem to welcome the same suppression , control in the west.

Very correct about the numbers much of the same was said by the presidents task force.
Some treatments look promising therapies have been approved by the FDA.

As part of a medical field unit we trained for mass casualty events and operating in an NBC environments.
Would expect as more information is known people will adapt, understanding how to operate in this environment
Protecting themselves and others.

Well it is a private company and they can do whatever the hell they want. Isn't that the libertarian dream? No government intervention?

I can't get behind the pho outrage. We have mods here too and if people don't agree they can leave.

I closed my Facebook account long ago because I don't agree with what they've become.

Btw, @#$% Twitter too. I don't like Twitter either so I don't use it. Problem solved.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Xi didn’t actually admit that the coronavirus now devastating large swaths of China had escaped from one of the country’s bioresearch labs. But the very next day, evidence emerged suggesting that this is exactly what happened, as the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology released a new directive titled: “Instructions on strengthening biosecurity management in microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus.”

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy- ... rom-a-lab/

a data point

It turns out that in all of China there is only one such lab, the New York Post wrote. “And this one is located in the Chinese city of Wuhan that just happens to be . . . the epicenter of the epidemic.”

"evidence" a strong word., coincidence maybe?

some reports if true

“As the pandemic that began in Wuhan forced countries worldwide to go into lockdown, a Mail on Sunday correspondent yesterday watched as thousands of customers flocked to a sprawling indoor market in Guilin, south-west China,” The Daily Mail reported.

“One source says that: ‘the markets have gone back to operating in exactly the same way as they did before coronavirus’ despite the outbreaks links to bats,” The Mail reported.
. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... -pandemic/

@trick..or anyone close -..any truth to the story that the markets are still open
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby meeks on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:33 pm

"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:23 pm

-lol- The Bachelor!!!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:10 pm

https://www.maskssavelives.org/?fbclid= ... DDSv-u4Jnk

5th grade students good at math should understand this graphic.

the rest of the article is similarly clear and simple and will likely change your mind for the better on this topic.

question is whether we can actually listen to this advice in "the West". I really doubt it...
Last edited by everything on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That