Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby roger hao on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:12 pm

I will be spending Xmas and New Years in Brazil.
87 degrees - Xmas tree - lazer lighting - fireworks - bike rides to remote beaches
To all those staying in cold climates I extend Holiday Condolences.
roger hao

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:16 pm

Wow Brazil, sounds nice

Meanwhile in Taiwan, they go about living

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0ySEh-FSY
windwalker
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:00 pm

I will be exactly here for Xmas -

roger hao

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Looks nice...

Considering whats going on in the US,,,
maybe a good place to be... ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:58 am

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:06 pm

An article/report by a BBC journalist who is now suffering from "long Covid". In her early forties, good physical fitness (cycling, swimming, hill walking), not overweight, no previous conditions. Had Covid-19 in March - and is still pretty much a physical wreck today with no signs of significant improvement :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-54793726
Really hope she gets over this thing!

A close relative of mine (younger than me) in the UK got Covid-19 a couple of months ago, almost no symptoms at the time apart from some fatigue but was tested due to an injury, result was positive. Received no treatment for the infection because they 'got well again' fairly quickly - and is still suffering from serious fatigue (has got worse!), intermittent brain fog etc.

Most people don't get this knock-on "Long Covid", which is a blessing, but it looks like a significant minority of infected people (or their doctors) are reporting it as time goes on. For the 100th time: don't put yourself or others at risk unnecessarily, because this is not like a 'little flu'. We still don't know what it can do to us in the long term.
Last edited by Giles on Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby RobB on Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:30 pm

My cousin's husband may have picked it up - it was early on (April?) and there was no test. Landscape gardener, mountain biker, mid-40s - fit enough. Flu symptoms, tired. Went on for a few weeks then got better. Back to work. A few weeks later - heart attack. Stents in and now getting back to work. No fun if you're self-employed.
RobB
Mingjing

Postby everything on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:14 pm

roger hao wrote:I will be exactly here for Xmas -

jealous!

RobB wrote:My cousin's husband may have picked it up - it was early on (April?) and there was no test. Landscape gardener, mountain biker, mid-40s - fit enough. Flu symptoms, tired. Went on for a few weeks then got better. Back to work. A few weeks later - heart attack. Stents in and now getting back to work. No fun if you're self-employed.

oh man sorry to read this. hope he can heal quickly and fully
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:23 am

Is there still respect for CDC opinions?

1 in 34000 lethality?

roger hao

Postby roger hao on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:24 am

Will it be the "science" to support a shutdown?
Last edited by roger hao on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
roger hao

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:49 am

roger hao wrote:Will it be the "science" to support a shutdown?

Hmm, what are the scientists saying right now? I think the question is whether they'll be listened to, whatever they say. If they say, "don't worry, it's all gone," will you believe them?

But, I wouldn't take a politician's advice on how to treat a cavity in my tooth, let alone about any virus. I may not know which scientist to believe, but I know whose medical advice I won't take.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:08 am

I can't get past the coyness.

What politician will you be listening to?

The scientists are saying what is in the CDC report. I am asking
does anyone trust the CDC? Covid-19 is a nasty illness.
roger hao

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:21 am

What politician will you be listening to?

The ones who believe in listening to the scientists, doctors, and medical personnel, not on his or her "hunches" or personal suggestions.

No one trusts the Trump run CDC, no! Actually, no one trusts the FDA either, now.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:55 am

How many scientists work for the CDC?
CDC has more than 1700 scientists, working in more than 200 cutting-edge laboratories across the U.S. from Atlanta to Spokane, to Ft Collins, to Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Morgantown, Anchorage, and San Juan.

It seems the trust in a scientist is a political choice. Does that make them politicians? Does it make the person trusting them a politician? After all they are considered to be scientists. Scientist is a term that is too broad to have any meaning.
I always laugh at things like - 'Scientists are baffled' Bless their hearts.

sci·en·tist
/ˈsīəntəst/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.
roger hao

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:31 am

It seems the trust in a scientist is a political choice.

Yeah, according to you. As you point out, the CDC has thousands of scientists. It used to be trusted, as in the past epidemics. It is not now, and that was your question. The reason is that a politician gave his opinion and advice, and it contradicted what the scientists were saying. Granted, they could have been dead wrong because they were learning as they went along, through research and experience, not by hunches --proclaiming that this or that drug would solve the problem.

Afa the definition, yes, I will trust the opinion of "a person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences." Yes, that is a political choice nowadays. Like I said, the only reason I distrust any information that comes from the scientists at the CDC is because it is always filtered through Trump.

You can go back to my first posts in this thread, and I'm sure I've said that all Trump had to do was shut up and let the CDC do whatever it did. It couldn't possibly have ended up any worse than it is now, and he couldn't be faulted for anything. But, he injected himself into it, first claiming it was a hoax, then claiming that it was under control, then suggested various solutions --and his political supporters went right along with it --because of him. Suddenly, "Fauci is fake," "the FDA is holding up the solution." (What eclipse?)

Hey, what was the last thing you've heard Trump say about the virus? Scientists at Pfizer say they've developed a good vaccine. It wasn't developed under the "Warp speed" program. Do you think the prez will recommend that people take it? Will you take it if he does? Personally, I just don't see how his opinion makes any difference at all. So, it's not political. I'm sure there are Republican doctors and scientists too. It's not anti-Trump; it's that he is irrelevant.

:) That made me think of Trump's "spiritual adviser" who was on YouTube and others who claim they can pray the virus away.
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That