Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:46 am

Rather than "stupid," just use the scientific term: covidiot.

Top definition
Covidiot
Relating to the 2020 Covid-19 virus:
Someone who ignores the warnings regarding public health or safety.
A person who hoards goods, denying them from their neighbors.
Did you see that covidiot with 300 rolls of toilet paper in his basket?
That covidiot is hugging everyone she sees.


A group of covidiots is a confefe.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
User avatar
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:54 am

everything wrote:Giles, I think you do a good job trying to explain what I call stupidity.

But I still just don't fundamentally get it. You may as well be saying "dogs don't have the capacity to intellectually reason, and that's why they don't really draw reasonably thought out conclusions", and that would explain it.



De Blasio had "simultaneous pro-protest/anti-religious gathering messages" when he "actively encouraged participation in protests and openly discouraged religious gatherings and threatened religious worshipers," Sharpe said in his federal order


What’s your conclusion
"Writing your name on water. The greatest thing is to be ordinary."
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 8315
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:02 pm

The conclusion is the result. But, the religious gatherings he condemned were specific funerals in Brooklyn well before the protests. In fact, it was specifically funerals of elders in the Hasidic (Jewish) communities. Their community at the time was being especially hard hit by deaths, and their tradition requires a swift burial. So, I understand why many of them ignored the Mayor.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 19263
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:10 pm

windwalker wrote:
everything wrote:Giles, I think you do a good job trying to explain what I call stupidity.

But I still just don't fundamentally get it. You may as well be saying "dogs don't have the capacity to intellectually reason, and that's why they don't really draw reasonably thought out conclusions", and that would explain it.



De Blasio had "simultaneous pro-protest/anti-religious gathering messages" when he "actively encouraged participation in protests and openly discouraged religious gatherings and threatened religious worshipers," Sharpe said in his federal order


What’s your conclusion


I agree with Steve that it's all about the conclusion.

We have seen that religious gatherings have been super spreader events.

We have not seen this with protests (as explained in the post on the other Covid thread).
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
User avatar
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 pm

The protesters who wore masks had been locked down longer than the maskless people who protested being locked down.

Still, the only relevant question is what do we do now? Florida is considering more shutdowns. Eight states are going on "pause." That'll be hard because people are going to want to get out. Period. So, the question is what they'll do to slow the spread --which ultimately translates to what will "I" do now.

Better to wear a mask than blame anyone. All the old arguments are just wastes of time, especially if the conclusions do not change individual behavior.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 19263
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:

We have seen that religious gatherings have been super spreader events.

We have not seen this with protests (as explained in the post on the other Covid thread).



If they can not be questioned about being in a protest or riot how is the data
collected that would support this either way.

Image

“No person will be asked proactively if they attended a protest,” Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for de Blasio, wrote in an emailed response to questions by THE CITY.

Instead, test-and-trace workers ask COVID-positive individuals general questions to help them “recall ‘contacts’ and individuals they may have exposed,” Cohen said. Among the initial questions: “Do you live with anyone in your home?”


Tracers then ask about “close contacts” — defined as being within six feet of another person for at least 10 minutes.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing your name on water. The greatest thing is to be ordinary."
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 8315
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm

If they can not be questioned about being in a protest or riot how is the data
collected that would support this either way.


Ok. So, at best, their effect is undeterminable. However, we are still left with the results as they are now. If people stopped protesting, where is the evidence that shows that cases would go up or down?

If the assertion is that large gatherings outside should be prevented, the obviously large gatherings of unmasked people should be prevented even more. Being in confined spaces with uncovered crowds is especially dangerous, a lot more than being outside with 1/2 the people masked.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
User avatar
Steve James
Great Old One
 
Posts: 19263
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:20 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:37 pm

windwalker wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:

We have seen that religious gatherings have been super spreader events.

We have not seen this with protests (as explained in the post on the other Covid thread).



If they can not be questioned about being in a protest or riot how is the data
collected that would support this either way.

Image

“No person will be asked proactively if they attended a protest,” Avery Cohen, a spokesperson for de Blasio, wrote in an emailed response to questions by THE CITY.

Instead, test-and-trace workers ask COVID-positive individuals general questions to help them “recall ‘contacts’ and individuals they may have exposed,” Cohen said. Among the initial questions: “Do you live with anyone in your home?”


Tracers then ask about “close contacts” — defined as being within six feet of another person for at least 10 minutes.


Given your ability to dig up completely obscure videos to support your point of view, I can only assume you are not reading the information posted which I again directed you to.

In Minneapolis, the cradle of the current movement, there have been testing sites stood up specifically for those who attended the protests.

Four sites run in partnership with the Mayo Clinic reported late last week that only 62 positive cases came out of 4,487 people tested, for a positivity rate of 1.4 percent, said Dave Verhasselt, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Health. And on Tuesday, another Minnesota system called Health Partners reported a .99 percent positivity rate from the 8,500 it protesters tested.

Those figures are actually below the current statewide positivity rate which, per Verhasselt, is currently hovering around 3.6 to 3.7 percent. Hospitalizations have also continued their steady decline in the state.

New York City, which sometimes saw thousands of protesters demonstrating in multiple boroughs at once, is “not seeing an increase in cases associated with the demonstrations (as of yet),” Michael Lanza, NYC Health Department spokesperson, told TPM.

In particular, New York City Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot said that her department has been closely tracking hospitalizations and emergency room visits, and has seen no spike since the protests began.
ADVERTISING

The public health department in Seattle is telling the same story.

“We don’t have evidence that the rallies or protests are being associated with large numbers of cases currently,” Colette Cosner, department spokesperson, told TPM. “There is no one source of exposure that is jumping out at us from the data as a driver of cases.”

And in Washington D.C., which has been undulating with daily protests for weeks — memorialized most famously in pictures from the aggressive clearing of Lafayette Square for the President’s photo-op — the positivity rates are getting better, not worse.

“D.C. Health is still analyzing data to assess the impact of first amendment events in D.C., however we are continuing to see a downward trend in cases overall for the District,” D.C. Health spokeswoman Alison Reeves told TPM.

The same seems to be true in cities across the country.

The National Bureau of Economic Research produced a working paper on Monday after analyzing data from 315 cities that had protests.

“We find no evidence that net COVID-19 case growth differentially rose following the onset of Black Lives Matter protests, and even modest evidence of a small longer-run case growth decline,” the researchers concluded.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
User avatar
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm

“The idea that houses of worship are some deadly viral vector unlike anything else is just superstition,” Ferrara said in a telephone interview. “There’s no science to support that.”

Restrictions limiting the number of people who can attend outdoor religious gatherings will also be lifted by the injunction.

The judge noted that both Cuomo and de Blasio have expressed approval for protests against racism and police brutality that followed the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last month while continuing to support restrictions on religious gatherings.

“Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio could have just as easily discouraged protests, short of condemning their message, in the name of public health and exercised discretion to suspend enforcement for public safety reasons instead of encouraging what they knew was a flagrant disregard of the outdoor limits and social distancing rules,” he said.


those interested in current stats

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing your name on water. The greatest thing is to be ordinary."
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 8315
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby bailewen on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:01 pm

127,000 dead an counting.

The US is being banned from travel to Europe.

We have the most deaths per/capita of any country in the world.

An utter, abysmal failure.
127,000 deaths, no slowdown in the infection rate, actually accelerating. A complete, utter, humiliating failure of government at the national level.

I suggest you move back to mother Russia where your talking points come from you embarrassment to your country and to the world.

The world is literally laughing at you.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
User avatar
bailewen
Great Old One
 
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Xi'an - China

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby bailewen on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
User avatar
bailewen
Great Old One
 
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Xi'an - China

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby bailewen on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
User avatar
bailewen
Great Old One
 
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Xi'an - China

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby bailewen on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
User avatar
bailewen
Great Old One
 
Posts: 4885
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am
Location: Xi'an - China

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 pm

Edited: :-\

They say there’s another brake out in Beijing is it true ?

Beijing reimposes lockdown measures after new Covid-19 outbreak

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ood-market

Source of Beijing’s big new COVID-19 outbreak is still a mystery

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06 ... ll-mystery
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Writing your name on water. The greatest thing is to be ordinary."
windwalker
Wuji
 
Posts: 8315
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Giles on Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:48 am

bailewen wrote:


That one really does, indisputably, show the essence of his corona-crisis leadership.
Zero irony in his face and voice at the moment he makes this statement. If anything, more like irritation, anger.

Then on June 22:
The White House said Monday that President Donald Trump was speaking only in “jest” when he said at Saturday night’s rally that he told officials to slow down testing for the coronavirus and that he had not actually ordered anyone to do so.

"No, he has not directed that," White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in an exchange with ABC News’ Ben Gittleson in Monday’s press briefing and added that "any suggestion that testing has been curtailed is not rooted in fact."

"It was a comment that he made in jest," she also said.


Then on June 23:
But when asked by CBS News' Weijia Jiang on Tuesday if he was kidding when he made those remarks, Mr. Trump replied, "I don't kid."
While he praised the U.S. for conducting millions of tests, he said increased availability of tests is a "double-edged sword."


I guess that anyone writing a film script for a 'serious' film a few years ago who put this kind of stuff in the script would have been panned by the critics: "not credible; material more suitable for an absurd black comedy, if at all."
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:19 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests