meditation apps

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

meditation apps

Postby everything on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:18 am

... because if you're a millenial, you probably need an app to "unplug" from all your other apps

... well seriously, though, anyone check them out? I kinda like the idea but I don't feel like I want tech unless it's the biofeedback type
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: meditation apps

Postby Michael on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:41 am

IMO, just say no to electrical tech-induced meditation.

Better to find another way, even just relaxing while listening to music, for example, which may be electrically amplified, but is not what I call technologically-induced.

Why? There is no why, grasshopper ;)

I have my understanding of why, I'll try to put it into words. It is about how meditation actually connects you to something in the higher, spiritual plane of existence, and the method of connection can establish the end point. Tech-connected meditation for me introduces an unknown variable to the end point and as far as I'm concerned, the end point is either God, or the other thing.

We are constantly surrounded by the new technology and it seems one of its uses is for negative purposes, such as surveillance by people who do not have your God-given free will as one of their highest priorities. For that reason alone, I shun tech-induced meditation.
Michael

Postby everything on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:56 pm

same here. of course, many / most? of us here (I assume) have already tried things like meditation or qigong the old fashioned way, before "apps" help you.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 am

artificial bridge is
well,
artificial... :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:39 am

I’m making a mediation app. It’s just going to have 1 screen on it that says “Sit down and shut up”.

That’s it. It’s probably retail for $35.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:00 am

GrahamB wrote:I’m making a mediation app. It’s just going to have 1 screen on it that says “Sit down and shut up”.

lol. those silly app companies are now "unicorn" startups.
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:32 am

I’m making a mediation app. It’s just going to have 1 screen on it that says “Sit down and shut up”.

Some unsolicited venture capital advice: I think if you add just a little more woo-woo to your app and charge merely half a pound, you could sell a million units and become a benefactor to the RSF cause of defining once and for all what is internal and what is not.

You will need some new age word salad for your app and its minimal web site. Let me get that for you. The best collection of catch phrases for your app that has ever been assembled ;)

I think this chick took a half day seminar on belly dancing and then just did some SEO key word searching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQBXBHe7AY

Infinity Quantum Qi Gong Is a set of simple yet profoundly accelerated techniques that enhance self-awareness and self --healing on a multidimensional quantum level. It is an ancient spiritual art, synthesized with modern scientific knowledge.
The premise of this energy cultivation lies with Quantum Medicine and is a component of Vibrational Medicine.
This practice combines forms of breathwork, visualization and actualization of energy cultivation into noticeable somatic alignment and transformation.
This meditation in movement which recognizes that the body's qi or energy flows in waves, is based on the sacred geometry of the Infinity symbol, 8. The consciousness of this system accesses the intelligence of the DNA matrix.
The body is trained to connect to and receive the movement of these energy impulses. The focus is on the spine. It increases the vital life force in the meridians and energy matrix for cellular rejuvenation on a physical level and in the deep psyche.

The wavelike and linear forms of Infinity Quantum Qi Gong will
• increase the flexibility of the spine, torso and limbs
• release contracted physical, mental and emotional blockages
• balance hormonal functioning
• lengthen musculature and fascia
• strengthen the spine and somatic core
• enhance the flow of the cerebro -spinal fluids
• improve circulation
• aid in lymphatic drainage
• emotional release and mental clarity
• development of psychic gifts and abilities

Michael

Postby everything on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 am

Her SEO level is 11+. Really "internal" master level.

I don't know what "infinity quantum" means but I need to have it.
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:44 am

Graham, here's your first customer!

There's one born every minute. -lol-
Last edited by Michael on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby BonesCom on Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 am

All of the major meditation apps are a combination of a timer and guided practice.

One potential benefit of an app (depending on your personal inclination) is the ability to set reminders and track how many days you've been practising.
Both of those can be useful for developing the habit of a regular meditation practice.

Some people start with an app then move on to an independent practice, some people like using the apps. I think both are fine.

The better apps will have some type of program whereby a guided practice is used to develop a certain level of basic skill.
Gradually instruction is withdrawn and the practice can move towards being independent of the guidance.

The "effectiveness" of guided practice, whether they are in app or not, is somewhat dependent on how well you gel with the person guiding.
Just like an in person teacher.

A flexible timer can be used to regulate practice. Sometimes it's useful for have intermittent chimes during a session, especially if you want to divide your session into section for different practices.

Having said all that, the (free) guided basic skill program in Headspace is a good introduction to a basic anapanasati practice (mindfulness of the breath).
In the subscription version (which is quite pricey) there are good instructions for a basic noting practice which can be a useful skill t have as you progress with anapansati.

In my opinion Insight Timer is the best app for independent practice.
The flexible timer and practice logging functions alone would warrant a paid subscription but these are actually free.

Shinzen Young's Brightmind app might be interesting but it's only on iPhone at the moment so I can't comment.
His practice instructions are available free on pdf and his system is very flexible (maybe too much so).

If you want comprehensive written practice instructions buy a copy of The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa.
Last edited by BonesCom on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:22 am

My lymphatic system has been fully drained! Thank you brothers of the fist.....
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:37 am

Must be confirmed by deep tissue inguinal massage. We're offering a special!
Michael

Postby everything on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Thanks for the serious reply BonesCom
everything
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:13 am

No problem.

FWIW I've heard that the current commercial biofeedback systems are a bit of fun, but not really that useful for practice once you've moved past the stage where you are forgetting the object of meditation.

Let me know if you have any questions. As far as I'm concerned starting a regular seated practice is one of the best things you can do for yourself!
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby Xan on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:12 pm

BonesCom wrote:In my opinion Insight Timer is the best app for independent practice.

I also use Insight Timer, really because I like their bell sounds and I can save different "presets" for the various types of standing and sitting practices with varying number of intervals, different lengths, etc. Haven't really tried the guided stuff, but the basics are well done.
Xan
Santi

Next

Return to Off the Topic