COVID breathing technique thread

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

COVID breathing technique thread

Postby GrahamB on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:17 am

IMA is full of breathing techniques. What are you using if you get the virus?

Seems to me the best ones to exercise the lungs to their full are breath holds, like this exercise here:

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: COVID breathing technique thread

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:01 am

GrahamB wrote:What are you using if you get the virus?

We’ll have to wait and see.....if it ever happen
Trick

Postby BruceP on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:27 am

Just make hemoglobin great again.

Pneumonia and respiratory distress is only a symptom of Covid19. The actual illness manifests very much like hypoxia/HAPE.

A diet high in folic acid and iron over here. Oh, and doubling the frequency of my cold water dousing routine.

We grow 80 - 90 lbs of beets in our garden every year for canning, wine and dehydrated chips. Beetroot is suoerfood for hemoglobin.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:55 am

that's awesome about the beets, but unfortunate, because... jesus, I hate beets.
jimmy
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:30 am

Try this Graham before you get it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpTNUGwXbTU
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am

Stop this American talk! I have no idea what beets are??? 8-) . Do you mean beetroot?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:53 am

BruceP wrote:We grow 80 - 90 lbs of beets in our garden every year for canning, wine and dehydrated chips. Beetroot is suoerfood for hemoglobin.

I like how it makes you piss and shit purple. The downside is you can't tell if you're dehydrated by examining urine color.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:36 pm

What are you using if you get the virus?

I almost never do Xingyi nowadays except for practicing santishi, but as I have had pretty good success teaching some basic XY to people with Asthma, and know that it works wonders for the lungs, XY is the first thing I would consider. I am certain that just the Santishi and Piquan, which is the movement traditionally said to be connected to the lungs, will do a lot to help. I would also practice Hung Gar Dragon form as the sounds and breathing pattern together is some pretty powerful shit. And then I would have as long sessions as possible practicing Tai Chi form only. :)
Last edited by Bao on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
I like how it makes you piss and shit purple. The downside is you can't tell if you're dehydrated by examining urine color.

Beeturia doesn't happen to everyone. Sure, if you eat nothing but a pile of beets at one sitting, it'll happen to most anybody.

A person's iron levels, gut health, portion size and what it accompanies in a meal, as well as a bunch of other things can cause it.

We grow them as much for the greens as for the roots. The greens are a lot like chard but way tastier.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby BruceP on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:47 pm

jimmy wrote:that's awesome about the beets, but unfortunate, because... jesus, I hate beets.

The wine is amazing, jimmy. I never heat any of the ingredients above 170f to keep as much of the nutrients intact as is possible. Raisins, cloves, ginger, orange and lime kill the earthiness of the beets and gives the finished wine a nice Bucket with full-bodied flavour.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 pm

The best methods will expand the lungs but be simple so they can be done easily. That means bellows breathing. Bhastrika is a good one

And Wim Hof would be my second choice.

Bhastrika is better IMO because people breath through the nose, meaning this is how they normally breath so they can clear out those passageways and still use the nose to filter air. These
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Hi Dave,

I like the first vid. Rickson is a fan of that type of breathing. You can feel the heat effects on your skin immediately.

I didn’t watch the second as there’s something about Wim’s guru persona that just rubs me up the wrong way.

Thanks, G
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 am

This is a good one for exercising the lungs:

https://www.taoistarts.org/tao-yin-breathing-exercise/
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:47 pm

GrahamB wrote:Hi Dave,

I like the first vid. Rickson is a fan of that type of breathing. You can feel the heat effects on your skin immediately.

I didn’t watch the second as there’s something about Wim’s guru persona that just rubs me up the wrong way.

Thanks, G

Hey Graham,hope all is well.

Yeah the bastrika is awesome. It gets me so quickly into a meditative state. After the first cycle of 15 breaths, I'm already there. 21 and 30 cycles are even better. And my kids felt stuff happening the first time they tried it. The feelings of that seem to get stronger every time we do it.

Wim Hof does have his persona and it doesn't put me off but i can see how some wouldn't like it. the best thing about his method is it's quick, powerful, and based on experiencing the effects -- not on theory. 1000s of people giving their feedback on youtube, etc.mean there's a great community around the method of people getting actual results. But yeah, having done it i still prefer bastrika over it by far.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic