1982 Exxon memo on climate change

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

1982 Exxon memo on climate change

Postby everything on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:19 am

https://insideclimatenews.org/sites/def ... Effect.pdf

They concluded fossil fuels are likely going to contribute to climate change, but taking action in 1982 would be premature due to the devastating effects on economies/societies. :-\
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: 1982 Exxon memo on climate change

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Not a surprise since CO2 has been known to raise temperatures since 1856.

One bright spot is although the planet is still becoming hotter at least now people can see the effects people have on their immediate environment. Out here in Cal the skies have never been more beautiful. People don't forget that stuff.

Eunice Newton

An 1856 column in Scientific American described Eunice Newton Foote's temperature experiments with gases and her findings that carbonic acid (carbon dioxide, CO2) caused the greatest warming effect.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Out here in Cal the skies have never been more beautiful. People don't forget that stuff.

NYC has had blue skies for a long time. I remember the 50s when people heated with coal and you could see it in the air. But, the air became much clearer and the skies much bluer by the 70s. However, when we drove to LA in the 70s, the smog was so thick we often didn't want to go outside. We would drive to the Angeles forest and climb the pines.

But, naw, Joni Mitchell said it a long time ago, they'll "paint paradise, and put up a parking lot." Anyway, the oil industry knows more about its effects than anyone else. The same was true for the tobacco industry. Monsanto can tell you more about effects of gmos than any researcher anywhere. However, ... they find out so that they can calculate cost versus risk. Then they simply deny they knew of the risk, and try to limit any culpability in a settlement.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Yeah, I remember breathing in that air as a kid and feeling my lungs hurting. I had no idea what it was and it only happened a couple of times but it was scary. Hard to believe that people have no issue with population.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:30 pm

scary Hard to believe that people have no issue with population.
?
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 pm

I feel not for go about to find any links to it right now, but I remember reading that it’s the Rockefeller family themselves that now want to throw dirt on Exxon, fabricating “news” that the Exxon corporation hid info on climate change due to petroleum and similar......Rockefellers no longer in the oil business?
Trick

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 am

Yeah, it seems that the Rockefellers are divesting themselves from the oil business. But, since they made their bucks in the 19th/20th century, they were famous for their philanthropy and support for the arts, etc. That was part altruism and partly because their profits were taxed at 80 - 90%. Today's oil companies pay no taxes, are legally required to make a profit, and are bailed out by the taxpayers if they don't.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:38 am

I rather and guiltily enjoy driving my dead dino powered car, but for sure the energy/oil industries need to change.

It's hard to believe this type of corporate-speak, but at face value, this kind of change makes sense:
https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/ ... or-bp.html
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic