What's going to happen to martial arts and grappling gyms?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

What's going to happen to martial arts and grappling gyms?

Postby grzegorz on Fri May 22, 2020 7:43 am

Being that we are in this for the long haul are all the gyms going to go under?

Not being clickbait here but what is your gym doing?

I just can't imagine being a gym owner right now being that most are small private businesses surviving from month to month.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Re: What's going to happen to martial arts and grappling gyms?

Postby Steve James on Fri May 22, 2020 8:25 am

It's the same for all martial arts practices, including schools. Frankly, I'm sure people will go back to relatively normal afa martial arts practice in a relatively short time. Sooner or later, almost everyone will be or have been exposed to the virus, one way or the other. It's inevitable, especially after vaccinations are available.

The real question is which ma establishments and classes should open, and that imo depends on location. Imo, it's going to come down to the general situation in the village or city. If people who go to grapple also go to church and regular school, they will come in contact with people who don't grapple.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 am

Mixed bag.

Tough for folks in operation right now. But they have no assets to seize. Short term I'd see a lot of guys running class out of their house/backyard, public parks, etc.

Sort of good news is that commercial real estate is being completely decimated right now. Ninety days from now lots of available property will be out there for a fraction of what they were going for previously. Some good short term buying opportunities for those with cash. That said if you are a landlord, you are screwed for at least the next 2-3 years.

Small business is being completely destroyed right now. Both my startups are shut down, between the three primaries, we are out $500k. It's so bad my CEO is moving to Dallas to take a hedge fund job. I'm probably going back to my old line of work once I lose some weight. Really didn't expect to be humping armor and a rifle again in my 50's.

Best guess is the fallout from all of this is going to last a good 3-5 years.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Fri May 22, 2020 1:02 pm

I think the only ones guaranteed survival is those Kong Jin schools where they don't touch each other but magically send their students flying
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Fri May 22, 2020 1:08 pm

Ah, I wonder what a no touch martial arts contest would look like?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri May 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Last edited by Peacedog on Fri May 22, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Fri May 22, 2020 1:29 pm

Peacedog wrote:Here you go...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hMxEQcdJkZc

Qigong master: "We shall do the qigong demonstration at noon tomorrow to make the animals fall asleep"
Park ranger: "ok... that'll be interesting, since they often take an afternoon siesta at 2pm"
Qigong master: "We shall do the qigong demonstration tomorrow at 1:59pm to make the animals fall asleep"
meeks
Administrator

Postby Giles on Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 am

Peacedog wrote:Tough for folks in operation right now. But they have no assets to seize. Short term I'd see a lot of guys running class out of their house/backyard, public parks, etc.

Teaching taijiquan (and some qigong) is not my main source of income, but it does form part of it. The gym/dojo where I normally teach (renting a few slots a week) is still closed (compulsory closure) and will probably stay that way for a long time. All my students who can still pay are paying, and I'm still paying the monthly rent to the dojo owner to help keep it afloat. I'm giving classes online and 1:1 teaching in parks, which is permitted as long as we 'distance'. Otherwise the rules in Berlin are still relatively strict: as of two weeks ago, groups of 8 people are permitted to train outside with distancing, but ONLY IF they belong to a recognized sports association and ONLY IF the training take place on official (fenced off) sports grounds. This means in fact that the same kind of training under the same conditions in public parks or similar places, even if in a quiet corner or at a time of day when few people are around, is illegal. Many people misinterpret the rules as meaning one can now train in groups in parks, and actually I see quite a few groups donig this, with trainers leading the dance, and in practice I've never heard of the police or municipal public order patrols turning up, but it's a roulette game. I was actually just starting to give my first 'flesh and blood' classes outside again and if felt great, even if we have to leave out at least half of normal training which involves pushing hands, applications and so on. Then I realized that if some asshole reports you, the polis can appear, take the personal details and I could be fined a minimum of 500 euros, and up to 2500 euros, for leading a group in the park. And each participant could be fined as well. It's unlikely, but we (family) don't have the money to take this kind of risk, and I don't want to train with my group and constantly be looking over my shoulder like I'm running some illegal gambling game on the street. :-\

Maybe the rules will be relaxed further in a few weeks. Luckily I have my translation work to keep making a few bucks. And my wife is earning well (recession-proof healthcare job).
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Giles on Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 am

meeks wrote:Qigong master: "We shall do the qigong demonstration at noon tomorrow to make the animals fall asleep"
Park ranger: "ok... that'll be interesting, since they often take an afternoon siesta at 2pm"
Qigong master: "We shall do the qigong demonstration tomorrow at 1:59pm to make the animals fall asleep"

;D ;D
Oh master, truly you are insightful...
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Steve James wrote:It's the same for all martial arts practices, including schools. Frankly, I'm sure people will go back to relatively normal afa martial arts practice in a relatively short time. Sooner or later, almost everyone will be or have been exposed to the virus, one way or the other. It's inevitable, especially after vaccinations are available.

The real question is which ma establishments and classes should open, and that imo depends on location. Imo, it's going to come down to the general situation in the village or city. If people who go to grapple also go to church and regular school, they will come in contact with people who don't grapple.

I hope so but in my view this thing will continue to rip through the country for the whole of 2020 and unless we get new leadership probably most of 2021 which would mean a lot of small gyms will be hurting and I can't imagine that many will survive without outside help.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sun May 24, 2020 5:15 am

Our Gracie JJ school has been doing online stuff but last week "softly" reopened only for no-contact "MMA striking" work (limited number of people, 3 persons per bag to maintain distance). Added extra time between classes for changing rooms, and for the cleanup/wipe-down.
He's planning to eventually add actual standup work (weapons disarm drills, etc.), and at some point resume grappling work.
Continuing with Zoom classes until then.
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun May 24, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby meeks on Sun May 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Giles wrote:
meeks wrote:Qigong master: "We shall do the qigong demonstration at noon tomorrow to make the animals fall asleep"

;D ;D
Oh master, truly you are insightful...

They say the key to a successful rain dance is the timing...
meeks
Administrator

Postby fuga on Thu May 28, 2020 7:40 pm

Are you returning?

The place I trained is doing similar no-contact MMA work. I can't imagine the grappling portion opening up for some time then and I honestly have little to no interest in a grappling training environment until there is a vaccine. There are safer ways to socialize.

Dmitri wrote:Our Gracie JJ school has been doing online stuff but last week "softly" reopened only for no-contact "MMA striking" work (limited number of people, 3 persons per bag to maintain distance). Added extra time between classes for changing rooms, and for the cleanup/wipe-down.
He's planning to eventually add actual standup work (weapons disarm drills, etc.), and at some point resume grappling work.
Continuing with Zoom classes until then.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu May 28, 2020 9:58 pm

fuga wrote:Are you returning?

Right now I work from 9AM to 11PM so unfortunately no. I wrestle just packages and kettlebells these days but I do miss it. Also because of all that training I am rare in that I don't complain.

I am concerned and worried for all my brothers who have opened gyms, work at gyms or just train. This is people's bread and butter. It's tragic and I wasn't seeing it addressed elsewhere although I wasn't looking either. I just come here for entertainment purposes and to try to keep in touch with old friends since I don't do social media.

I agree with you Pete. I wouldn't roll again unless the virus was contained or close to that or there is a vaccine although sometimes there is no cure (such as with AIDS) only treatment.

Seems like it should be front and center here. I actually deliver to a lot of Kungfu schools in the East Bay and they are all closed but some seem to be doing private lessons but I can't imagine how long that can last when you consider the price of rents in the bay.

I think the martial arts community is going to take one of the hardest hits.

Even the idea of bag work inside doesn't sound safe since people are breathing heavily and sharing oxygen. As we know there are now saying (which many have said before) that the 6 foot rule is just a general safety guideline and doesn't work for all situations. In fact I think they choose 6 feet because of convenience. I try to make it 10 and always mask up.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu May 28, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Thu May 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Contactless jiu jitsu is planned by this gym owner.

New York jiu-jitsu studio owner plans to defy Cuomo, open Wednesday: 'Time to start making things happen'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-york-jiu-jitsu-studio-reopening-wednesday

An upstate New York jiu-jitsu studio owner told "Tucker Carlson Tonight" Tuesday he plans to open for business Wednesday in defiance of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo's coronavirus shutdown order.

Eddie Fyvie, who owns the eponymous jiu-jitsu academy in Malta, about 30 miles north of Albany, told host Tucker Carlson he is not trying to pick a fight with the third-term governor.

"Two months ago they ordered a lockdown and I've done everything in my power to maintain that," he said. "We've had virtual classes and we've done absolutely everything we can, as have business owners around the entire country who own martial arts academies.

"But with that said, I think it is time, especially in my local community where the curve has been beyond flattened, I think it is time that we should be able to reopen with proper safety precautions."
Michael

Next

Return to Off the Topic