Why do Chinese people prefer drinking hot water?

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Why do Chinese people prefer drinking hot water?

Postby Tom on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:19 am

For several reasons, traditional and modern:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=361&v=5Yoz8Z60Da4
The spring does not fear the iron hammer’s strike.—Martin LaPlatney
Tom
Administrator

Re: Why do Chinese people prefer drinking hot water?

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:56 am

Think it's mostly from Chinese medicine. I have to buy water myself and put in the fridge when we visit my wife's family in the summers. They just drink tea. Many chinese believe that you'll catch a summer cold if you drink cold water when it's hot. It's about belief and superstition. I didn't experience this as much in Beijing and Shanghai though. There you'll often find bottles with half frozen water to buy in the summers and many Chinese buy it. In many other places, most people leave the bottled water in the fridges alone.

Didn't know about that in the Huangdi Neijing. Interesting, thanks.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:36 pm

The same reason you don't pour cold water in a boiling radiator
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:25 pm

The human body is only about 37 degrees Celsius; not even close to boiling (100 degrees). Drinking near frozen temperature water is not like pouring cold water in a boiling radiator.

I did have a teacher that recommended ambient temperature liquids (she liked orange soda, which tastes fine at this temperature whereas many sodas don’t). Still, I think that it is “folk wisdom” which could be meaningful but is often a combination of superstitions, traditions, culture, personal preferences, etc.

I have not looked at any specific studies, but the following summary may be of interest:
A review of several studies revealed that people drink about 50 percent more cold or cool water compared to warm water when they exercise -- and as a result are less dehydrated. Other studies show that people who exercise in heat and humidity have a slower and lower rise in core body temperature when they drink cold rather than lukewarm water. Whether running, cycling or lifting weights, it appears cold-water drinkers are able to exercise longer without feeling exhausted.
LaoDan
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Ages old Southern saying, "When hot, drink hot." In the ME, lots of people drink hot peppermint tea --during the day. :)

Hot water, though, seems to be more of a Chinese thing.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:30 pm

it appears cold-water drinkers are able to exercise longer without feeling exhausted.

Yeah, don’t everyone feel like that? I do. When I am in hot weather and walk all the day I need to drink a lot of cold water. Hot water won’t even work slightly as good for me as cold water. When the body and brain feel very hot you need to cool yourself down. It’s freaking obvious. All animals drink cool and cold water in the nature, that’s exactly what our bodies are designed to do.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:30 pm

Where in nature do animals get cold water on a hot day
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:44 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Where in nature do animals get cold water on a hot day

???

A river, lake, or stream?
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Walk into any coffee bar in China, the majority of beverages that’s sold are iced...it’s the younger generations that prefer it cool.....

As pointed out in the thread, drinking warm relates to “TCM”...........
Last edited by Trick on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 am

It's ironic that drinking tea (from China) is the single most defining cultural feature of being British. That's how confused we are as a nation ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_in_the_United_Kingdom
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The NHS is not drained by migrants, but sustained by them.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:20 am

In most parts of the world on hot days streams are only a few degrees colder than the air
They are certainally not frozen
I know it differs if you live close to the poles but that's only part of the story
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:14 am

. It's ironic that drinking tea (from China) is the single most defining cultural feature of being British. That's how confused we are as a nation
And in China beer drinking might surpass tea drinking any day soon.......

Here in China people prefer drinking beer at room temperature and it’s poured down the throat from small glass cups that’s just a little bigger than an regular (european)Schnaps cup, the Chinese schnapscups are micro sized......Same goes with the formal teadrinking, very small cups.......No Pint sizes here
Last edited by Trick on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:35 am

Trick wrote:Here in China people prefer drinking beer at room temperature and it’s poured down the throat from small glass cups that’s just a little bigger than an regular (european)Schnaps cup, the Chinese schnapscups are micro sized.

The small cups are for drinking games. ;) ;D
(Games generally played with dices)

But sadly, the beer is generally weaker in strength (less alcohol) now than when I was in China for the first time 25 years ago. We also drank from big beer glasses, even in the smallest restaurants.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:24 am

It started as a hygiene practice, that like many things, became a cultural practice.

Halal, and kosher, food preparation rules exist for the same reason.

People here are mostly unaware that until very recently safe drinking water was a rarity. Even as late a 1890 something like 1% of the US population died every year as a result of water borne disease.

While classically people didn't understand transmission vectors, they did know that if you boiled water, or added alcohol, it was generally safe to drink.

As an example, colonists in the north east of the US drank something like 23 gallons (87 liters) of hard cider per year individually. It was considered safe for even children to drink. And considering the risks associated with drinking water out of a stream that made sense.

This has been largely unnecessary since the 1950s in most parts of the world, but remains as a cultural hold over as most of China lacked access to centrally managed water supplies until very recently.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:47 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Here in China people prefer drinking beer at room temperature and it’s poured down the throat from small glass cups that’s just a little bigger than an regular (european)Schnaps cup, the Chinese schnapscups are micro sized.

The small cups are for drinking games. ;) ;D
(Games generally played with dices)

But sadly, the beer is generally weaker in strength (less alcohol) now than when I was in China for the first time 25 years ago. We also drank from big beer glasses, even in the smallest restaurants.

Eat, Drink, Play is the rule I learned in Dalian, however the “play” doesn’t refer to dice playing but to generally having a good time such as it is at dinner parties here in China with lots of toasts..
While during actual playing, such as cards or mahjong alcohol is seldom on the table.

Otherwise here in China big size beer glasses comes around in British style pubs or German inspired places, The Pauliner at many Kempinski hotels serv good beer in one liter mugs, a trend that may find its way around to the traditional Chinese places, but I’ve not find that yet.
Last edited by Trick on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic