Why do Chinese people prefer drinking hot water?

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Why do Chinese people prefer drinking hot water?

Postby roger hao on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 am

It is perfectly acceptable in Brazil to send a bottle of beer back
if it is not stone cold.

Regards lakes -
Most lakeside cottages get their water in second layer.
Water temperatures in lakes during summer months is not uniform from top to
bottom. Three distinct layers develop: The top layer stays warm at around 65–75
degrees F (18.8–24.5 degrees C). The middle layer drops dramatically, usually to
45–65 degrees F (7.4–18.8 degrees C). The bottom layer is the coldest, staying at
around 39–45 degrees F (4.0–7.4 degrees C).
roger hao
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:49 am

Trick wrote:Eat, Drink, Play is the rule I learned in Dalian, however the “play” doesn’t refer to dice playing but to generally having a good time such as it is at dinner parties here in China with lots of toasts..
While during actual playing, such as cards or mahjong alcohol is seldom on the table.

I was referring to my own experiences. I have visited many Chinese pubs and bars with friends. In some of those places everyone play dice games and try to get their friends drunk. Beers came in large jugs accompanied with small cups.

Otherwise here in China big size beer glasses comes around in British style pubs or German inspired places, The Pauliner at many Kempinski hotels serv good beer in one liter mugs, a trend that may find its way around to the traditional Chinese places, but I’ve not find that yet.

When I was in Beijing the first few times, every restaurant served cold, strong beer in large glasses, even small "hole in the wall".
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:17 am

When I was in Beijing, 20 years ago, drinking water had to be boiled, so might as well drink tea, or try to cool the water down by putting a jug in the sink or bathtub with cold water. Also told to never ask for ice in a soda drink at a restaurant. It’s not even cold tap water, which would be bad in its own right, but it’s probably ice that’s been used to keep raw meats and fish from spoiling, and they would just take a scoop from that.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:17 am

D_Glenn wrote: it’s probably ice that’s been used to keep raw meats and fish from spoiling, and they would just take a scoop from that.

damn, i didnt think so far 8-) ive been drinking 'iced lemmon tea' for years at my favorite Hong Kong style restaurant in Dalian, will most certainly continue to have it but next time a fishy and bloody ice cubes thought will breeze trough my head........then i will think - Eat, Drink, Play
Trick
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:28 am

lol

in everyday life in taiwan -- cold drinks are perfectly acceptable..

you go to the convenience store -- and all the drinks are in the cooler...
in fact if I want to buy a bottle of water that is not cold- you have to look around for it -- and the selction is ussually not as big as the ones in the cooler..

you go to the tea shop
there are hot teas of course
but there is a much larger selection of cold teas
and you can specify how much ice you want in the cup-- full ice , medium ice, etc...
(actually the ordering language for tea shops makes starbucks look like child's play.. lol)

the no cold water is like folk knowledge
and its not confined to chinese people
my dad also talked about this -- and how its dangerous (and he grew up in the US)
he even said a kid in the area he grew up died from drinking cold water
supposedly he was working out in the field all day- then came in and drank a whole bunch of ice cold water
went into some kind of shock and died...

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 am

D_Glenn wrote:When I was in Beijing, 20 years ago, drinking water had to be boiled, so might as well drink tea, or try to cool the water down by putting a jug in the sink or bathtub with cold water. Also told to never ask for ice in a soda drink at a restaurant. It’s not even cold tap water, which would be bad in its own right, but it’s probably ice that’s been used to keep raw meats and fish from spoiling, and they would just take a scoop from that.

I understand the topic was about Chinese people around the world. However in China, I thought tap water had to be boiled first before drinking for sanitation purposes.

"Can I drink tap water in China?"
Xi Cheng, Bachelor Biology, Shandong University (2016) on June 22, 2017 wrote:Actually, the tap water in China is drinkable now. However, always drink bottled water to be in safe place as I do in my university because it tastes awful. I speculate that most universities in northern China have the same problem with drinking water.

Our government is trying to ensure the testing standard of tap water is equal to developed countries (international standard) but the quality of tap water fluctuates with seasons and is variant according to where you live. The main reason why Chinese do not drink unboiled water is that parasites infection( Schistosoma, Leptospirosis etc) is used to be a severe problem in southern China. Hence, the government took great effect to propagate the idea, ' Never Drink Unboiled Water'. As a result, it is engraved in people's mind. Boiling can reduce the dissolved minerals in water due to accelerating some chemical reaction so I guess it's always better to drink boiled water. I indeed did so when I studied in Europe because there is a hypothesis that many European get bald due to drinking unboiled hard water (there is no substantial evidence and the mechanism is unclear, just take it as a joke).

http://www.cqvip.com/read/read.a... ‘’中国城市自来水能否生饮‘’

(You can also find and download this article in 万方,知网 but you can not see it if you are not students or faculty of any colleges, universities or research institution).

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org... 'China and Water'

'Officially, Beijing tap water has been declared safe to drink under China’s new national drinking water standards for 106 contaminants, but complaints in parts of the city indicate that local sources of contamination still affect quality, particularly the old distribution system that was put in place 50 to 60 years ago (China Daily 2007p).' (cited from 'China and Water')

The contamination sometimes comes from water tank in people's home which can happen in many other countries. As far as I know, a water tank is on the top of buildings to transfer water to top floors (over 10 meters), especially in old buildings. Recent architecture has developed safer ways to pump the water to high floor.

To make it simple,

boiling is primarily a sterilization method to get rid of bacteria and parasites.

2. Noxiousness volatile organism can also be vaporized by heating.

3. Calcium salt (MgHCO3, MgSO4, CaCO3 etc) and magnesium salt (MgHCO3, MgSO4, CaCO3 etc) will precipitate during the boiling.

If you believe that there is heavy metal, pesticide pollution in the tap water of China city, you'd better always drink bottled water. If you just travel in big city of China and live in luxurious hotel, drinking tap water for a few time would never give you diarrhea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyCBHKcx_bw 净水器消费者报告丨市售主流净水器方案横测

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZChIWkVttM 净水器消费者报告丨关于净水你需要知道的一切(原理篇)

These are also good videos to look at.

To sum up, it is more like 'tap water is not suggested to drink directly in China' instead of 'tap water is not drinkable in China'.
Last edited by marvin8 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 am

Maybe some cities have drinkable tap water. But it still taste terrible. I even don't drink boiled tab water in Shanghai. Even if you boil it, it still tastes awful.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:08 am

The issue currently is distribution not purification itself.

Even as early as 2005 the water purification plants in Beijing met international standard.

The problem was substandard distribution.

As an example, roughly 40% of water purified in the Middle East is lost via distribution. And you don't want to drink anything coming out of pipe in major cities over there either. So this isn't just a Chinese problem, but basically a problem anywhere outside the first world.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Can't remember if it was China or not but I saw how people were selling bottled water
It was tap water with the bottle resealed with super glue
Tap water is OK here in Aus.
It matters little if people in Taiwan or China drink cold drinks today
Most are trying to live a western lifestyle and most old knowledge is gone or going
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Bao wrote:Maybe some cities have drinkable tap water. But it still taste terrible. I even don't drink boiled tab water in Shanghai. Even if you boil it, it still tastes awful.

The tap water here usually comes taste/smell wise with a good hint of chlorine, got to boil it and make tea or coffee.

Here are some good mineral waters to buy, costs only one or two ¥ Can’t imagine that Starbucks sell any of the quite expensive Pellegrino they keep...Maybe to foreign tourists
Last edited by Trick on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Can't remember if it was China or not but I saw how people were selling bottled water
It was tap water with the bottle resealed with super glue

Here in my small city of Huainan, there’s being set up small automated water stations in some neighborhoods. I saw when they where being set up in my neighborhood, the pipes are connected to the regular waterpipes that serve the neighborhood buildings. There’s a sign at the station explaining how good and special the water is for drinking.
I haven’t inspected it further, but one has of course pay to tap from them, and it seem more expensive than if one use ones home tap water. It seem s it is an private firm that setting up these stations....I will look further into it.
Trick
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:34 am

Trick wrote:
Bao wrote:Maybe some cities have drinkable tap water. But it still taste terrible. I even don't drink boiled tab water in Shanghai. Even if you boil it, it still tastes awful.

The tap water here usually comes taste/smell wise with a good hint of chlorine, got to boil it and make tea or coffee.

Yes I know you need to boil it. I know that you need to boil water if you want to make coffeee or tea. Boiling water is what you do if you want to make coffee or tea. Hard to make without boiling. What I said is that I can't stand Shanghai water EVEN if I boil it. It was a few years ago I was in Shanghai the last time, but the times I have been there, even boiled water tasted terrible. And as my wife have lived in Shanghai for several years and studied there, I believe her when she said that it has always tasted terrible EVEN IF you boil it. Coffe at a coffee bar in Shanghai is usually ok though.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:43 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:

Yes I know you need to boil it. I know that you need to boil water if you want to make coffeee or tea. Boiling water is what you do if you want to make coffee or tea. Hard to make without boiling. What I said is that I can't stand Shanghai water EVEN if I boil it. It was a few years ago I was in Shanghai the last time, but the times I have been there, even boiled water tasted terrible. And as my wife have lived in Shanghai for several years and studied there, I believe her when she said that it has always tasted terrible EVEN IF you boil it. Coffe at a coffee bar in Shanghai is usually ok though.

Sorry Bao, I didn’t mean to teach coffee and tea making. I meant, that even after the water is boiled it probably taste a little wonky, so better put some preferable taste to it, such as coffee or tea....makes it taste less wonky
Trick
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 am

If you go to Starbuck's right now you can ask for cold brew coffee.
Or you can make sun-brew tea.

just saying
roger hao
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:14 am

roger hao wrote:If you go to Starbuck's right now you can ask for cold brew coffee.
Or you can make sun-brew tea.

just saying

they serve all kind of coffe beverages that doesnt look like coffee at all(probably doesnt taste like coffee either), i always order regular dripbrewed from their brew"machine"- more coffee taste for the buck......However im about the only one that order that so they often try force on me an Americano instead., is like pricy dishwash water, i refuse and stand my ground 8-)
Last edited by Trick on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic