China flooding vs reporting

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

China flooding vs reporting

Postby .Q. on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:07 am

What's happening:

vs

What's reported:

Apparently flooding affecting 27 provinces and 40 million people are caused by internet, according to Shandong news.
.Q.
Wuji

Re: China flooding vs reporting

Postby Trick on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:03 am

This summer it has rained more than usually here in “my” city and province....now it has more or less rained for three days (till right now when writing this, the sky’s getting clear)..... Everyone here knows it been raining, they don’t need to have it reported to them 8-)
Trick

Postby Bill on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:44 am

How's the 3 Gorges Dam holding up?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:31 am

Trick wrote:This summer it has rained more than usually here in “my” city and province....now it has more or less rained for three days (till right now when writing this, the sky’s getting clear)..... Everyone here knows it been raining, they don’t need to have it reported to them 8-)

Just browsing through different information sources, the main concern the damn itself.

Whether one was against or for it being built it was a huge engineering project, undertaking.
Now being stress tested. Hopefully it holds up to its design specs.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Bill wrote:How's the 3 Gorges Dam holding up?

Since they're actually opening all the floodgates, there's a chance it might hold up. Although at the moment I think the rate of water going into the dam is almost twice that of the water going out and they're saying 2nd peak is coming. Right now this crazy rain is so powerful China's 2nd largest lake (BuoYang Lake?) has expanded by 38% and is now China's biggest lake. There are actual villages that are flushed away (not just soaked) and many lives lost (who knows what actual number it is). The most bizarre thing is that the military was sent in really late to help and at minimal numbers, unlike the previous major floods. In fact, the Shandong broadcaster claimed that the flooding is not that bad since troops have not been sent in to help. People just think it's bad because on social media there are all the images/videos of flooding. In reality it's so bad several villages they literally asked those from the village but is currently away to go home and help their village. The amount of water is so bad that even though they were trying to at first reinforce levies to protect villages and cities, at this point they've changed strategies to blowing up levies at strategic points to divert water to somewhere where least expensive amount of damage would happen. Sadly that usually means flooding farms to save cities. That's not exactly a good thing w/ locusts in several places and their major food supplier countries stopping food export due to virus and locusts (e.g., India). Food shortage is so bad they recently purchased a crazy amount of soybeans and corn from the US. Flooding is so bad that many videos of people having fish swimming around IN THEIR HOMES came out. A famous 800 year old bridge is now destroyed (along w/ a 400 year old one). There are people in dimsum restaurants ordering food nonchalantly with water almost at their knees.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:25 pm

@Q,

A famous 800 year old bridge is now destroyed (along w/ a 400 year old one). There are people in dimsum restaurants ordering food nonchalantly with water almost at their knees.

Having seen a lot of what you posted on various information sites,
is your information first hand accounting or just things You’ve seen on the news.
Hopefully the dam will hold.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 pm

windwalker wrote:@Q,

A famous 800 year old bridge is now destroyed (along w/ a 400 year old one). There are people in dimsum restaurants ordering food nonchalantly with water almost at their knees.

Having seen a lot of what you posted on various information sites,
is your information first hand accounting or just things You’ve seen on the news.
Hopefully the dam will hold.

Those are from videos leaked out from China's social media. I don't remember the names of those bridges, but there's a famous 700 year old GuanYin temple in Wuhan that is submerged to 2nd level window at the moment. That's probably easier to find.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:14 pm

I hope all of the board members are safe at least.

I was in Wuhan for the 50 year flood a couple of decades ago. That was bad.

I imagine this is quite worse.

Hopefully the stress test succeeds.

Good luck to anyone over there who is in the danger zone.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:30 pm

I realize a news station cannot report everything but when something of that scale is purposely left out, there is definitiely selective reporting and the people can see it. Intrerestingly, it was reported in the context of "leaked to social media' when in fact tthe reporting concerns public health since it allows those affected and in the vicinty to leave the area and seek shelter thrugh this 'public service" notice.
Reminds me of FOX news and their ilky clientele.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:25 pm

Oh, I found the 800 year old bridge. It's the Rainbow Bridge in Jiangxi.

Speaking of news coverage, my student mentioned he asked someone he knew in Shanghai about the flood, the guy wasn't even aware of the flooding.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:48 pm

Ok, so all you well informed guys, what’s you gonna do about the flooding.....probably as much as an guy in Shanghai will do....now if you’re Americans go and help out in Texas, I read some heavy hurricanes doing their work there, I don’t know if it will help or delay the removal of the Chinese embassy there, maybe you can give a helping hand..
Trick

Postby Bao on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 am

.Q. wrote: my student mentioned he asked someone he knew in Shanghai about the flood, the guy wasn't even aware of the flooding.

These things are all over Chinese media, newspapers and television. Very hard to miss.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 am

Bao wrote:
.Q. wrote: my student mentioned he asked someone he knew in Shanghai about the flood, the guy wasn't even aware of the flooding.

These things are all over Chinese media, newspapers and television. Very hard to miss.

yes its on the news.....and (most)students here despite the summer hollidy continue their studies, they're not too focused on any other stuff, especially if they live far away from the flooded areas...
Last edited by Trick on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Return to Off the Topic