Cycling and

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Cycling and

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:14 am

Last edited by Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Cycling and

Postby everything on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:36 am

too crazy fast for me, but it seems so fun.

also this lady is crazy but i love watching her ride through mexico city

for a "go fast" sensation, I'm riding a skateboard super slowly, and kinda want an e-scooter next. won't actually be fast but it'll feel fast since you're low to the ground.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:57 am

Do you know how to ride a track bike? (Not a coaster "fixie"). Did you notice that her bike has no brakes? Riding a "fixed gear" bike on big city streets is a lifestyle. :)

Btw, afa road racing in the mountains, it's a matter of pure skill to be able to use brakes as little as possible. Though, nowadays there are hydraulic disc brakes that won't burn up. :) But, the rest is just a question of pure guts. It's possible to get to 50+ mph without pedaling.
Last edited by Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:09 am

no, definitely can't ride fixed gear. i did see that she was on a fixed gear and in one of these videos (maybe hers), the rider move her feet elsewhere temporarily then has to sync back up later. what a pain. i don't get it, but it's fun to see.

50+ is too fast for me, i'm sure. strava thinks i hit 34, but I think it was an error. I think I only hit 20+ down moderate hills usually and not really trying to go fast. I think I'd enjoy maybe 30 and that's probably it. those mountain bike downhill runs also look super fun, but mellow singletrack is as much as i can handle. the "gravel bike" is all i got and I will resist the n+1 temptations in favor of skateboards and an e-scooter and maybe e-bike (not counting it as n+1).
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm

How about 55 coming down a mountain trail on downhill bike?

Or be safe and stick to the sidewalk -

roger hao

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:44 pm

Downhill street or offroad is cool, it's just more manly to enjoy the ride down after pedaling up.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:06 pm

I love that video and man these riders are crazy.

Also, just living on that mountain with stairs like that is baffling to me. Do people move around much higher or lower in a given day or week? I'd guess I wouldn't want to.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:44 am

If you live in the valley, somehow the stores are always at the top of the hill or on the other side. :)
Anyway, I'm still not comfortable riding up and down stairs. It's psychological, but I admit that there are some things I just won't do. For example, I'll never do the Red Bull anything. But, I admire the heck out of the people who do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbewm28rOCk
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:42 am

i can do a few stairs, maybe a short berm (not sure that's what you call it), and a tiny jump. haha. so level 0.1 if this is 110 out of 10. these videos kind of make me want a mountain bike.

in the meantime, another fun stay-at-home self-powered vehicle fun hobby that doesn't require so much skill/bravery:
https://hamboards.com/pages/shoppable-instagram
everything
Wuji

Postby meeks on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:17 am

roger hao wrote:How about 55 coming down a mountain trail on downhill bike?

Or be safe and stick to the sidewalk -

me: wow - that's so dangerous and difficult, I would never attempt something like that
rider: and now for the difficult bit
me: wait..what?!
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 am

Wish I had his guts on stairs :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7rliZpuSs
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 am

omg. how does he jump that high? and how does he land without a massive wipeout every time?

I'd like to try the baby version of this. I think I'd be more afraid at times of hitting a bystander than hurting myself for some parts. I haven't tried a real mtb with suspension before. There are some jumps near me, but still many X above my skill level.

Also, where the heck do they find such epic stairs to ride?
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am

That clip is in Paris. The place with the white domes is Sacre Coeur, and the road is the Rue Foyatier. Those stairs have been made famous by photographers. Then, he rides around at one of the museums. I can't tell which one. It looks new. When you see the Eiffel Tower early in the video, he's at a place called Chatelet, a big plaza that looks onto the tower.

Afterwards, he rides through the Louvre museum, with the glass pyramids. He ends up at the Place de la Defense, which is a great place for riding around, but boring. When I lived there, I skated more than cycled. Actually, it was a terrible place to ride. I lived in Montmartre, directly down the hill from the Sacre Coeur.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ropped.jpg
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:02 pm

what an amazing view
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:30 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic