Resting HR

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Resting HR

Postby everything on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:30 pm

When/how do you measure it?

I have a smart device that takes readings at night and gives me averages.

But that isn’t actually the definition.

Do you take a manual reading first thing in am?

During the day?

How about measuring recovery HR?

Any tips?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Resting HR

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Sure. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Afa taking resting heart rate, I use two versions. First, I take one when I wake up but haven't gotten up or been active. Secondly, I take it after I've been up for a few hours, but am sitting down (resting). (For me, if it goes below during the day, I pay attention. Right now, the range is 49 to 61.

After I go out riding, I know it'll be hire. But, the question is only how fast it'll get back down to 60. That's how I'll determine fitness level. But, you need to have a baseline for resting --and training. I.e., you should also figure your "max" bpm --which won't really be your max, though. It's the bpm you can maintain safely.

If you get in Olympic athlete condition, your resting bpm (sitting down) can be in the 40s, and your max can be 180+. Moreover, it can go from 40 to 180 faster. Me, I'd probably have a heart attack at 180. Oh, and afa really low resting rates, you should also pay attention to your blood pressure --especially if you're older.

Also, measure every day for a week, then take the average. Ya know, these new apps are coming out that will hook this all up.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:18 pm

Ah ok thanks a lot. I think that is approximately what I'll start doing.

My device was taking sleeping readings, so it was lower than actual resting HR. Was something like 59 and actual probably mid 60s at daytime. Now it says 62-65 and actual probably 70. With stay at home, I temporarily gave up soccer, gained weight, and need to get back on the ball with some more intense cardio (my bicycling is more of a relaxing activity). This is just one way to track, well two ways. HR and the bathroom scale.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Here you go. This test works for any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IUaP7Qz1t4
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:42 pm

Btw, your morning pulse rate is great for measuring your recovery from the previous day's effort. If you know your baseline, and you find that your bpm is higher the next day, you haven't fully recovered. If it's lower, it implies improvement. Anyway, that was my system for deciding whether I was over-training.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Sound stressful to keep monitoring and checking ones heart rate like that.....
Trick

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:14 am

It doesn't raise your heart rate to check it. The first thing I wrote was that it depends on what one is trying to accomplish. If you don't have a reason, it'll probably be a boring waste of time to ya. Ymmv.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:24 am

nah it's not any more stressful than standing on the scale. usually my smart device just takes readings, but I want to do manual readings instead. eventually the tech will be a lot better.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:56 pm

But if the reading is a little”wrong” in the morning, then you check it again soon after you tried to sink the Chi but still it read a little wrong, and now you must be off to work where your desk has a bunch of procrastinated tasks needed to be done before lunch...... 8-)
Last edited by Trick on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby everything on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:36 am

hahaha yeah. that sounds pretty much like my life.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic