Jordon Peterson

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Jordon Peterson

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Quigga wrote:Taste of Death, with the Bud Light comment, are you implying he has a redneck attitude?

I'm implying he needs to broaden his horizons. Maybe read a book written by someone other than Sam Harris.

Quigga wrote:It's all ideology driven bullshit caused by being too sensitive. If you need a safe space, stay home and get treatment there or go to a psychiatry institution.

If I could only the htfu (as Steve James would say) maybe I could be more like Peterson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9gviAT_Pc&t=51s
The redheaded interviewer has to cover his mouth to prevent Peterson from realizing he's being laughed at. There is no safe space from people like Peterson.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:22 pm

Yeah. Einstein said:
"It is not so very important for a person to learn facts. For that he does not really need a college. He can learn them from books. The value of an education in a liberal arts college is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think something that cannot be learned from textbooks."

That's how he came up with his original ideas :) .
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Quigga wrote:It's all ideology driven bullshit caused by being too sensitive. If you need a safe space, stay home and get treatment there or go to a psychiatry institution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9gviAT_Pc&t=51s
[/quote]

Hmm, it doesn't seem like he'd argue that his sensitivity is a problem. I think accusing others of being too sensitive is usually an illustration of the accuser's own sensitivity. Anyway, real men do cry and eat quiche (and some women love it).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 pm

. How would you know what was relevant to your future endeavors, whatever they may be, until you graduated and were out in the real world?
. I'm implying he needs to broaden his horizons. Maybe read a book
8-)
Trick

Postby Overlord on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 am

Hi all

First of all, no Declaration of Indepedence is not just ideal philosphy, it's an legal document, an contract between US and it's people.
1, It outlines the tyranny of tax imposed
2, It defined the minimum inalieanable rights of any individual ( any person).
In truth, US is actually a republic. And Declaration of Indepedence is really the last line of defence.

Secondly,
You can appreciate studying ethic/moral or African noveil at your own leisure, and course like this can boost one's ideals and horizones. But like all hobbies, there are not necessity.
But you cannot be an engineers or medical physicians without any study, and the occupations that are necessity.
Last edited by Overlord on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:57 am

First of all, no Declaration of Indepedence is not just ideal philosphy, it's an legal document, an contract between US and it's people.
1, It outlines the tyranny of tax imposed
2, It defined the minimum inalieanable rights of any individual ( any person).

First of all, I didn't say that the Declaration is "ideal philosophy." But, it's not a legal document, you're confusing it with the Constitution. The Declaration listed the reasons that the colonies should be independent. It's called "the long train of abuses" and in fact "taxes" are only mentioned in one sentence. Go here for the actual document, then come back and talk. It's all there. https://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

Of the tyrannies of King George, taxes weren't the biggest. Absolutely no colonist would risk his life over a three cent tax on tea. Yes, the Declaration declared certain inalienable rights were granted by God, but the colonists had no problem taking those rights away from the majority of the population. Like I said, read the document, then let's talk specifics.

In truth, US is actually a republic. And Declaration of Indepedence is really the last line of defence.

So, you declare the Truth, but who said anything about whether the US was a democracy or a republic? Anyway, the only people for which that distinction would make a real difference are political scientists. I'm serious. Ancient Greece invented democracy, but they practiced slavery. I think you're making the distinction in order to say something else. I've seen bumper stickers with the phrase "Give us back our republic," and I have no idea what they mean. For ex.,

Republic: "A state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives..." Democracy: "A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives."

So, please explain why the distinction is important or practical when it comes to the US.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:34 am

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:31 pm

If Declaration of Independence is not a legal document, then US is still part of England.
And from what I learnt from my lawyer anything with a signature is a legal document.
Last edited by Overlord on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:54 pm

If Declaration of Independence is not a legal document, then US is still part of England.

The colonies were part of Britain. The Declaration was illegal, nad each of the signers knew they'd be treated as traitors. The colonists had to fight a war, remember. That's why the US isn't part of England.

Yeah, anything you sign is legal, but nobody knows you've signed it unless they're watching. That's why documents are notarized. But, that's beside the point. By that logic, only the signers of the Declaration were legally responsible for what was on it. The people who took part in the revolution were overthrowing a legal government.

Ahem, but that's the real point. The Declaration gives the specific reasons they are doing something that was illegal. However, the document points out how doing so was ethical and moral. The Declaration sets out the principles; the Constitution sets out the laws.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Steve,
I think the video pretty sum up why Declaration of Independence IS a legal document.
Unless you have anything to support your claim otherwise, it’s as much legal as the US constitution.
It’s the first line and the last line defense for individual rights. So evil will always find a way to undermine it, in any form.
Overlord

Postby Steve James on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Morality is about determining what is right from what is wrong. That's what the Declaration is about. It's not a matter of explaining whether it's a "legal" document. I posted the document. Saying it's not about right and wrong is silly. "All men are created equal" is not a legal statement.

The Constitution, otoh, sets out how the government is organized, who citizens are, and their rights. It's not a moral document or complaints about being oppressed and why that's wrong. For example, the Declaration's principles can't be changed. Well, one can argue that "men" could be replaced by men and women --if one thinks that "men" is exclusive. Hmm. However, the Constitution has changed because values have changed --such as allowing women to vote.

A video is unnecessary when the original documents are available. All I have to do to back up my point is to ask you to read them, not tell me how someone else explains it. And, nothing in your stem textbooks will help you. You could even look up and read Jefferson's drafts of the DoI and see what he left out. But, no, a video does not resolve anything. It's no different than posting a Peterson video to prove his point.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Overlord wrote:Steve,
I think the video pretty sum up why Declaration of Independence IS a legal document.
Unless you have anything to support your claim otherwise, it’s as much legal as the US constitution.
It’s the first line and the last line defense for individual rights. So evil will always find a way to undermine it, in any form.

This is an excellent example of why people should study the humanities and social sciences. It would help them to avoid making such mistakes and might also teach them that any old youtube video is not a credible source.

From the National Archives:

The Declaration of Independence states the principles on which our government, and our identity as Americans, are based. Unlike the other founding documents, the Declaration of Independence is not legally binding, but it is powerful.

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/declaration

As for Jordan Peterson...He might have been an okay psychologist but is completely ignorant regarding all the things he most often pontificates about. He was so destroyed by Zizek in their head to head that he spiraled into drug addiction and had to flee to Mother Russia (oh, the irony) to undergo drug addiction treatment. I guess he hadn't cleaned his room?
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Steve wrote:
Overlord wrote:
Ian wrote:hadn't
[4thquotedoesn'tcount="jimmy"]
not
[/4thquotedoesn'tcount]
cleaned his room?

who hasn't not cleaned their own room?

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 pm

who hasn't not cleaned their own room?

Not everyone goes around harranging people about it or claiming that you shouldn't try and change the world until you have.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:38 pm

i guess you're right.
he must just be food.
jimmy
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic