World Series ?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

World Series ?

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:39 am

So I read in Swedish news about the winners of the “world series” of the MLB...why is it called World Series, is it open to non US baseball teams ?........I took a (very)quick look at the MLB website but didn’t find any info on that to satisfy my wondering
Trick

Re: World Series ?

Postby Finny on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 pm

Not american or a baseball guy, but IIRC that's a common misconception - it's not the 'world series of baseball'... initially it was (due to sponsorship) the 'News of the World series of baseball'. Since shortened.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:59 pm

Nobody takes the title seriously. There are, however, players from all the countries where baseball is a big sport, and that includes sponsorship and development of new players. Few countries can produce players who can make it to the "big" leagues. They could if they wanted to or could afford it. So, it could be called the Championship of the Baseball World:).

Basketball has a world championship, but it's not the NBA --which does have players from all over the world. That's an interesting topic. But, if you grow up in Argentina or Brazil, you probably have more of a chance playing pro futbol.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:15 pm

I am surprised there is no comment here about this -

roger hao

Postby Trick on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:42 pm

I know baseballs big in Japan but otherwise I don’t know any other outside the USA where it’s an sport to be noticed?(can Japanese teams try to qualify for the World Series ?)
Anyway I saw some three years ago baseball practice for kids was tried out in Dalian(Liaoning, northeast China), I’ll guess it’s the Japanese who try to introduce the sport since that city has lots of Japan connection.
In Europe I think baseball is basically non existent ? However as a kid in Sweden we often played ‘brännboll’ which have some similarities with baseball.

So I also came to think(since it’s a martial arts forum) about i once read that chuck Norris won the karate world championship some 7 times back in the 60’s? Were those WC really WC or just basically USA(national) championships ?
Trick

Postby Franklin on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:14 pm

How come all the Miss Universe contestants are from Earth?
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 am

Franklin wrote:How come all the Miss Universe contestants are from Earth?

;D
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:30 am

Don’t know about the rules of the Miss(or Mr) universe contests, but to live up to its names they should be open to all humanoid species from all over the place....Let me guess, those contests started in the USA ?
Last edited by Trick on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby Franklin on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:11 am

i was actually wondering about this since you asked...

so i searched google and found this answer (in less then 1 minute)
(as in i did not spend a lot of time researching- just looked at one of the first links that came up- and found this...
have no idea of the reputation or validity of the author/site- but seems it could be legit)

interesting - according to the site
the origin of the name is basically a pissing match between two team owners in 1903
as in- i challenge you... for the title of world champion...
so if thats true - it really just started as two teams playing against each other for a "world champion" title that the owners made up... probably for their ego, and more money the hype could generate -- just my guess there

and that a true contest for world baseball does exist...
(which it seems the US has not one once... lol)

https://www.rulesofsport.com/faq/why-is ... -play.html

The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

Are the Winners of the World Series the World Champions of Baseball?

Many Americans consider the World Series as being the world championship of baseball. They base this on the fact that generally the world’s best baseball players play in Major League baseball. This makes it the strongest league in the world consisting of players from over 20 countries.

However, the winners of the World Series aren’t in any way world champions as this title is reserved for the winners of the World Baseball Classic, which is an international tournament started in 2006. The winning teams of the competitions so far are as follows:

2006 - Japan
2009 - Japan
2013 - Dominican Republic

The World Series may only be a North American event but there is no doubt that it is the world’s premier baseball event. Whilst it may not feature teams from across the globe, it does feature many international players. For these reasons, we can justify the World Series as its name.
Last edited by Franklin on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:27 am

well I'll be. Talk about common misconception. Many thanks Franklin
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:18 am

Yeah, thanks. I had to look it up. The third event will be held in 2021!
https://www.mlb.com/world-baseball-classic
https://www.mlb.com/world-baseball-classic
Last edited by Steve James on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am

Thanks Franklin, that was an good informative sum up
Trick

Postby meeks on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Trick wrote:Don’t know about the rules of the Miss(or Mr) universe contests, but to live up to its names they should be open to all humanoid species from all over the place....Let me guess, those contests started in the USA ?

should also open it up to other species... dogs, cats, horses, etc... who says humans have to be the beauty reps of Earth..?
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Trick on Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Well there are pet beauty contests here on earth, however it may be that out in space pets already evolved to humanoid form, take Chewbacca as an example, he would do the Mr Universe competition....
Meanwhile back to earth, here’s an report on pet beauty competition...no World Series though
https://www.maraaz.com/dog-beauty-contest-in-wuhan/
Trick

Return to Off the Topic