The moderator

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

The moderator

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:17 am

RSF is a MA forum the Mod writes in the off topic section, meaning some topics outside MAs topics can’t be discussed in the off topic section ? Yes the Good luck thread may have gone a little far, but not particularly upsettingly far ?

Why does the Mod not have an MA profile in his profile ?
Trick

Re: The moderator

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:57 am

A better question about the moderation here, IMO, is why the RSF is still alive when so many martial arts boards have disappeared. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:47 am

I’m only on this and the E-Budo forum, been so for about 4 years. This forum is defenetely the most lively of the two, maybe the moderators here are not that strict after all, it’s just an temporarily US election strictness ?
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:30 am

Trick wrote:RSF is a MA forum the Mod writes in the off topic section, meaning some topics outside MAs topics can’t be discussed in the off topic section ? Yes the Good luck thread may have gone a little far, but not particularly upsettingly far ?

Why does the Mod not have an MA profile in his profile ?

It's called "news speak"

A microcosm of what's going on in the US.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:13 am

my mind can’t come to rest if I not get answers on this..8-)

The absence of an martial art profile in the moderators profile suggest he is not into martial arts?
How does the moderator know where to moderate on the forum ? As an ICMA enthusiast I can understand he lurks on the forum daily, but since we the members are located globally(different time zones) is the moderator scanning the forum around the clock ?
As an MA enthusiast does he post here otherwise than just for moderations ?
Maybe the Moderator is hired from outside(a nonmartial arts enthusiast)an professional, maybe they’re several of them posing as one, maybe it’s an machine, a computer program..?

Yes as you guys see I know nothing about how all this moderator work works, but the good luck thread got me thinking about this....
Last edited by Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby Giles on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:32 am

If you're talking about xxxxx, then it's pretty obvious that this person aims to remain anonymous. Seeing as how he/she/it or whatever has the task of stepping in where necessary, warning or banning people, or closing threads. This might make the person unpopular in some quarters. If xxxxx might happen to be a RSF user who does indeed do martial arts and posts more theme-related stuff in other threads, and just dons black cape and cowl where needed, then I think it's understandable that anonymity is retained.
But I really don't know, just making a hypothesis.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 am

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that it's either Tom, Kelley or maybe a common super admin account they use together. It's darn cool and anyone who question XXXXX's authority should be banned. IMO. ;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:44 am

Yes that seem reasonable, ill guess he/she/(it)probably are an otherwize forum member....however can there then be an risk that the “moderator” stearing an “uncomfortable” topic to eventually be closed ?
Last edited by Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:51 am

It doesn't matter who the moderator is. Everyone here is a guest, and if they don't like the service. Go the f somewhere else. The same goes for Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and any other service or platform. But, those who feel privileged will whine and moan and have hissy fits complaining because they want to be heard.

Usually, people say thanks for letting them be in the group at all.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:57 am

As regards “censorship”, it’s not a question of “if”, it’s a question of “how much?”. Here in RSF as in any civilized society. "Censorship" is an often pejorative term for not letting people speak, or more correctly in some form 'publish', anything they want under all circumstances.
On the one hand there’s the basic freedom to express your own viewpoints and ideas. Both in general terms, and also the freedom to say something like “I think Mr Big Cheese X is an idiot and should be removed from his post”. – In some countries that’s already enough to get you put in jail, but luckily not in liberal democracies. – On the other hand there’s the protection of other people’s personal spheres. Writing “Mr Small Beer Y who posts on RSF is a devil-worshipper who kidnaps children to drink their blood, I know this is true, he deserves to die, it will happen soon, and by the way his home address is .... ........ ..... ..... .” will generally be deemed to exceed the normal boundaries of free speech and this will be censored. If it's in a medium that's able to carry out censorship, that is. Maybe the most extreme libertarians would disagree – but tough shit, they can go swim in 8chan. Everything else between these two poles is the subject of ongoing debate and negotiation.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:12 am

The problem is moderating according to stated rule sets.
Using a consistent and unbiased approach.

At least now it’s very clear.
There are none.

The question then becomes what other topics or subjects become taboo.

Martial arts by their nature a testing ground of competing ideas based in a physical format.
In most cases those engaging in such formats respect the others, abiding by the rule sets that the formats use
that allow, and promote their format.

Being a “martial arts “ site with an off topic section
Subjects deemed to controversial shut down in name of protecting the community
a function of the rule set , now after 4 years really never seem to matter before, but do now.

Makes sense
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:21 am

One would think that by proclaiming one practices a martial art, is a martial artist

They would’ve cultivated the inner fortitude to discuss things that are contentious in nature respectfully

Guess not, :P

As far as "can always go the f--k someplace else"

kinda works both ways. a place exist because members find some value within it.
when the members are told they can go the "f--k" someplace else if they don't like it,
an indication of how they are valued, they often do....
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:41 am

Steve James wrote:It doesn't matter who the moderator is. Everyone here is a guest, and if they don't like the service. Go the f somewhere else. The same goes for Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and any other service or platform. But, those who feel privileged will whine and moan and have hissy fits complaining because they want to be heard.

Usually, people say thanks for letting them be in the group at all.

steve, i wrote the op then some following posts, because i got curious about the moderator thing, how it works, how they keep track on all the topics and posts, it seem to be an (almost) fulltime job. maybe its an forum member with lots of time at hand or maybe someone neutral hired from outside, the moderator goes by the name "global moderator", that increased my curiosity..no need get upset
Last edited by Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trick

Postby roger hao on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:34 am

I have been the victim of name-calling and bullying by a group on RSF.
It was happening in the Good Luck thread - I was called idiot for my views.
I am happy the MOD stepped in for once.
I can only hope that it continues and the offending click gets the message.
roger hao

Postby Steve James on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 am

Tough shit. Leave. Don't bitch and moan about unfairness. Start your own forum. You and I are GUESTS who have no rights. It doesn't matter one bit if you think that the moderators are unfair. Sorry if that offends anyone.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic