Meditation makes you an arrogant twat

Rum, beer, women, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Meditation makes you an arrogant twat

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:50 am

The first rule of tai chi is
You must be able to tell the substantial from the insubstantial
The same applies to meditation or any spiritual endeavour
To do that you need chengs 3 essentials
Natural talent
Right method
Perseverance
Most fall at one of these 3 hurdles
Just like UNESCO being the arbitrator of what tai chi is surveys into the spiritual endeavour are looking with the wrong microscope
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:57 pm

It would be interesting to know what people think of this one I just found. https://youtu.be/FLkDoug8P2g
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby .Q. on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 pm

One funny thing is a studio owner that leases timeshare to yoga and martial art teachers told me the yoga teachers are the worst, most demanding assholes while the martial art teachers are mellow and easy to work with.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby jimmy on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:23 pm

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Tom on Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:41 pm

wayne hansen wrote:It would be interesting to know what people think of this one I just found. https://youtu.be/FLkDoug8P2g

I thought the last 8 minutes or so (45:40 on) was useful for anyone interested in venturing onto a path of spiritual development. The first 45 minutes, I think one would need to be interested in Patrick Kelly and his teaching to put in the time watching it. I've read Patrick Kelly's books, and they do make for an interesting account of his own journey.

I don't train in Mr. Kelly's school of taiji, although it is a root source for many of the more commercially successful online purveyors of Huang Sheng-shyan's taijiquan like Mark Rasmus, Adam Mizner and Damo Mitchell.

Some might find Mr. Kelly's description of those from the "outside" world who criticize him to be arrogant. I actually find it refreshing. "Slipping gently by" rank ill-informed rudeness while maintaining inner integrity and strength is a taiji skill worth emulating.
“Famous teachers are easy to find. It’s finding friends along the way that is hard.” -- Lü Dongbin
Tom
Administrator

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:54 pm

What is Damo Mitchell’s connection to Huang
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trip on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:35 pm

Tom wrote:I thought the last 8 minutes or so (45:40 on) was useful for anyone interested in venturing onto a path of spiritual development. The first 45 minutes, I think one would need to be interested in Patrick Kelly and his teaching to put in the time watching it...

Thanks for the tip. You were correct. When first posted, I watched about 20 mins or so of the interview and it did not grab my interest. But, the last 8 mins or so I did find more interesting. Like his personal journey of researching first, before choosing a teacher. Simple but true.
Last edited by Trip on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Tom on Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 pm

wayne hansen wrote:What is Damo Mitchell’s connection to Huang

Only second-hand. Damo Mitchell learned taijiquan from his father Paul, Mark Rasmus and Adam Mizner, all teachers of Huang’s taijiquan. Damo offers an online course teaching basics and Huang’s 37-posture form.
“Famous teachers are easy to find. It’s finding friends along the way that is hard.” -- Lü Dongbin
Tom
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:02 am

Tom wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:It would be interesting to know what people think of this one I just found. https://youtu.be/FLkDoug8P2g

I thought the last 8 minutes or so (45:40 on) was useful for anyone interested in venturing onto a path of spiritual development. The first 45 minutes, I think one would need to be interested in Patrick Kelly and his teaching to put in the time watching it. I've read Patrick Kelly's books, and they do make for an interesting account of his own journey.

I don't train in Mr. Kelly's school of taiji, although it is a root source for many of the more commercially successful online purveyors of Huang Sheng-shyan's taijiquan like Mark Rasmus, Adam Mizner and Damo Mitchell.

Some might find Mr. Kelly's description of those from the "outside" world who criticize him to be arrogant. I actually find it refreshing. "Slipping gently by" rank ill-informed rudeness while maintaining inner integrity and strength is a taiji skill worth emulating.

True, but perhaps it needs a word of caution...

This is also a technique that I see used and abused by a lot of the "Tai Chi personality" people out there. They skillfully yield to criticism, but also common sense and logic without batting an eyelid.

If you are immune to criticism then where are you finding your authority? In your teacher usually. Who quietly pockets the funds, and the brides.

Or sometimes in yourself, where you trip off into the self-insulated world of the delusional (*minions required).

Be careful what you wish for!

Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
If you don't become the ocean you'll be seasick every day.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Tom on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:35 pm

GrahamB wrote:
Tom wrote:. . . .
True, but perhaps it needs a word of caution...

. . . .

Be careful what you wish for!

Indeed, Graham, a word of caution may be in order. Your taiji teacher puts a slab of granite on his head and has a students slam the stone with a sledge hammer. ;D

[8:51 on in the following clip]

http://www.yongquan.org/video/1994_demo.mp4
Tom
Administrator

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:22 am

Haven’t seen or done most of those tricks since my early days in Tang Shou Tao. Never did the cranium buster
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:44 am

I managed to get our of having to do that by bending like a reed in the wind. It was very taoist.
If you don't become the ocean you'll be seasick every day.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Kelley Graham

https://sifuondemand.com
NeiJia Online Learning
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:19 pm

I'm a bit slow did dunning Kruger over or under estimate their ability to do a survey
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 am

The "cult" mentality tends to be present in the "mystical" because proof certainly is not part of that vehicle based on its reality dimensions.
That is why "religious", religion, "holy dogma", etc can be spread amongst those whose mental capabilities are challenged. No realtion to spirituality or other intrinsic truth finding of those who live the sanctity of a conscious path.

I know the validity of, and the preaching of the parting of the seas, ocean, etc by Jesus but my rational base tells me and I have seen it, where similar things happen relating to observable and documnetable actions of tides, lunar schedules, etc that influence said events. As an example, even though my main base was Okinawa (35 years agoat the time, I just had to visit South Korea where there is an island (Cheju Island-excuse my spelling!) where people can walk to when the tides are low. When the tides come back in,, one would have no idea that s/he can walk to this island. Anyone not familiar with this will find it preposterous at face value.

My point is that certain personalities are more prone to believe preposterous things just because a wized, a Trump, or some mystical master from nowhere said it.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic