Trump and Vacinations

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Trump and Vacinations

Postby Giles on Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:40 am

It presumably took a lot of pushing and prodding, but now he's finally endorsed Covid-19 vaccinations.

Which is good. So well done, Donald! ... ;)
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 am

It doesn't matter why he did it. Hopefully, the Republican state governors will take the vaccine too. It made sense for someone who'd taken the vaccine (and survived ;)) to encourage others to do so. If that person has enormous influence, it makes sense for them to use it. If someone also wants to take credit for the vaccine's development, it doesn't make sense not to encourage using it.

What the studies indicate is that people (in general) want to get their medical advice from their physicians and medical experts, not from any politicians. That way people can keep their political allegiances, and we won't have to lose another half million people.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 am

Seems redundant to require the father of 'Warp Speed' to endorse the product.

I share some popular concern that people are getting their medical advice
from TV pharmaceutical ads then following the ads advice - 'ask your doctor'
then there is indication that doctors are reacting by prescribing the drug de jour.
roger hao

Postby jimmy on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:20 pm

jim wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:just because...
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:A number of problems undermine this question
doesn't mean i'll cease to ponder it

thank you for your insights.

jimmy
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:19 am

jimmy wrote:just because A number of problems undermine this question doesn't mean i'll cease to ponder it

It's a good problem to ponder. Wicked problems such as how to tackle global warming or how societies should be organized are just that: wicked problems.* I don't know if they are impossible or whether we are suffering from a crisis of imagination. But, not being completely cynical, I too think we must think deeply about such things and hearing out different approaches is essential.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_problem
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:42 am

So, Jimmy style....

"A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision"

Yes, seriously. Or at least more in that direction. I think it's our best hope, despite fears à la Matrix and Terminator and all the rest. A little more like Iain Banks' The Culture.
Giles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:20 am

Giles wrote:"A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision"

Yes, seriously. Or at least more in that direction. I think it's our best hope, despite fears à la Matrix and Terminator and all the rest. A little more like Iain Banks' The Culture.

There's a Phillip K. Dick story like that. Each year the Head Computer in Charge needs a human to make a vote, so it selects somebody based on its own unfathomable criteria to cast the vote, and then it either follows the vote or does the opposite as it sees fit.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Giles on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:28 am

I know we're getting OT here, but since Trump has already come out and endorsed, maybe this thread is already obsolete...

I'm not familiar with this Dick story (as a big SF fan I should surely read more of his work) but this too sounds a little dystopian (?). Once again, I don't believe this would have to be the case, and it might offer a way out from the ongoing human cycle of progression/maturing vs. backsliding into stupidity and destructiveness.

If 'machines' (meaning some form of AI) were indeed to make big decisions, then it would be important that their criteria are not unfathomable. Otherwise we're off into DystopiNarnia again. ;D
Last edited by Giles on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:08 am

If we can't even balance ourselves why do we think we can balance something external? Building the tower to Babel again :)
Quigga

Previous

Return to Off the Topic