Master Xuan Hua on Covid

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Master Xuan Hua on Covid

Postby Giles on Tue May 25, 2021 3:20 am

JessOBrien wrote:I got to attend some lectures by Master Hsuan Hua and his student Heng Sure at the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas back around 1993 and 94. He was an imposing man, and he spoke with authority and compassion. He gave me some advice that I still follow today.

I'm sure I would disagree with him about a lot of political issues.

He was a very conservative man teaching a very conservative brand of Buddhism.

I can respect that even if I disagree.

It's good that you got some very valuable advice from him back in the day. I think that's good to hear.

As regards 'conservatism'...

He thinks that male and female homosexuality is morally wrong because it ‘goes against nature’
---> He is (very) conservative. I would disagree strongly but it’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it, just as I’m entitled to mine.

He thinks that earthquakes and floods occur, and that planes, trains and cars crash, because people have started believing in demons (and that there are no other reasons for these events). He states that AIDS did not arise as a disease from a virus in Africa [and was then frequently transmitted by homosexuals, among others] but that AIDS somehow arose spontaneously because homosexuality is ‘wrong’. He thinks that monsters and demons, ghosts and goblins, promote homosexuality. He thinks that homosexuality is the most frightening thing in the world. He says that people who engage in homosexual activity are no better than beasts, he claims that this destroys nations, individuals and all families – and then he stresses we should be kind and gentle towards everyone, and we should respect everyone.
---> That's idiocy and I don't respect it, or him for this idiocy.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 25, 2021 4:49 am

He's predicting over half the world will die of COVID and you still have time to listen to his nonsense?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Tue May 25, 2021 5:33 am

oragami_itto wrote:He's predicting over half the world will die of COVID and you still have time to listen to his nonsense?

Yes he did. That is the scary part and he also predicted it get passed onto offsprings. It’s going to be generations things.

Giles wrote:
JessOBrien wrote:I got to attend some lectures by Master Hsuan Hua and his student Heng Sure at the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas back around 1993 and 94. He was an imposing man, and he spoke with authority and compassion. He gave me some advice that I still follow today.

I'm sure I would disagree with him about a lot of political issues.

He was a very conservative man teaching a very conservative brand of Buddhism.

I can respect that even if I disagree.

It's good that you got some very valuable advice from him back in the day. I think that's good to hear.

As regards 'conservatism'...

He thinks that male and female homosexuality is morally wrong because it ‘goes against nature’
---> He is (very) conservative. I would disagree strongly but it’s his opinion and he’s entitled to it, just as I’m entitled to mine.

He thinks that earthquakes and floods occur, and that planes, trains and cars crash, because people have started believing in demons (and that there are no other reasons for these events). He states that AIDS did not arise as a disease from a virus in Africa [and was then frequently transmitted by homosexuals, among others] but that AIDS somehow arose spontaneously because homosexuality is ‘wrong’. He thinks that monsters and demons, ghosts and goblins, promote homosexuality. He thinks that homosexuality is the most frightening thing in the world. He says that people who engage in homosexual activity are no better than beasts, he claims that this destroys nations, individuals and all families – and then he stresses we should be kind and gentle towards everyone, and we should respect everyone.
---> That's idiocy and I don't respect it, or him for this idiocy.

Well, there are beings that not seen by eyes.
Usually a monk with strict discipline cannot lie. So either he saw it foresee it, or just lied and bullshit.
出家人不打誑語。
Between you and him, I trust the precepts.
Overlord

Previous

Return to Off the Topic