John Brown the American Hero they can't erase

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

John Brown the American Hero they can't erase

Postby gzregorz on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 pm

https://youtu.be/6JaSMJ9l-bY

youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JaSMJ9l-bY[/youtube]
Last edited by gzregorz on Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Re: John Brown the American Hero they can't erase

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:36 pm

On Showtime, there was a fictionalized serial based on his life (The Good Lord Bird). Ethan Hawke played Brown. Some say his portrayal was over the top (i.e., Brown seemed batshit crazy). But, the video narrator is right. At sleepaway camps and at Sunday School, kids sang a song about him: "John Brown's Body" which lies "a moulding in the grave," but, "his truth is marching on."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:51 pm

Russell Banks wrote a novel about John Brown called Cloudsplitter.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudsplitter
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:51 pm

John Brown is the quintessential American hero on all regards especially since he stood up (attempted to ??? ??? ) in defense of equity and equality for all citizens but again the nation state apparatus crucified him to stop what they voted to do and he was a threat to that social order that continued for 200 years! The one who wins the war gets to portray lies as truth!

Paraphrase
"Even if you are careful, the media will have you hating the people who are being oppressed
And loving those who are the oppressors" Malcolm X
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Steve James wrote:On Showtime, there was a fictionalized serial based on his life (The Good Lord Bird). Ethan Hawke played Brown. Some say his portrayal was over the top (i.e., Brown seemed batshit crazy). But, the video narrator is right. At sleepaway camps and at Sunday School, kids sang a song about him: "John Brown's Body" which lies "a moulding in the grave," but, "his truth is marching on."

Watching it now!

It's much better than I imagined.

Probably the best western I have ever seen!
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:49 am

Frederick Douglass refused to go with Brown on his raid. However, he said he followed Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death" philosophy. You know, American values such as "Live Free or Die" sentiment.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic