What is woke anyway

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: What is woke anyway

Postby emptycloud on Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:55 am

Steve James wrote:Hmm, I'm interested in the idea of rules here. Seems like some of them are beliefs while others are behaviors. But, do you think that someone needs to fulfill all those rules in order to be woke? For example:

I believe people can identify however they please as long as doing so causes no harm to others.
I believe that attacking someone based on this identification or immutable trait is ethically and morally wrong.

Let's condense and reverse.
"Do you believe that attacking someone based on how they identify themselves is morally right?"

Same thing with your next premises.
"Is it morally acceptable to oppress people?"
"Must we always stand up for marginalised groups?"

Anyone who attempts to stop marginalised group or discuss any changes they demand are oppressive and should be cancelled.

Hmm, I'd replace marginalised with oppressed. The oppression is what causes the marginalization in the first place. I understand that the way you use it pedophiles are "marginalised." So, if someone woke defends a bully beating up a gay classmate, it means he would do the same for a pedophile. I think that's wrong.

Anyway, there's this theory going around that the right-wing's fetish for finding pedophiles on the left is the lady protesting too much. Anyway, I appreciate the definition --though it's still not mine. And, I have to admit I'm almost 100% woke. I believe it's morally right and an obligation to fight for the oppressed. How to determine who's oppressed and what oppression is? Hard to say, but I don't consider pedophiles to be oppressed. I think they should be jailed.

Jail them for thought crime or when they transgress and offend..

https://www.csaprimaryprevention.org/su ... -maps.html
emptycloud

Postby emptycloud on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:01 am

GrahamB wrote:
Hi Graham,

As of 2015 the number of convicted Labour Party Councillors and activists convicted for crimes against children stood at 66.

https://labour25.com/labour25/

Rich if you keep linking to these far right conspiracy websites I can't take you seriously.

Link to a reputable new source. It's not much to ask.

Cheers,
Graham

You may want to check that the offences of the Labour Party rank and file convicted on this site have references back to a BBC report, etc.. mainstream outlets. You can't just negate evidence by saying "right wing conspiracy website"... suck it up.. since this list was created in 2015 I hate to think what the numbers are now.
emptycloud

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:04 am

Fair enough, I shall just assume you aren't serious and you love making use of the Gish Gallop https://speakingofresearch.com/2012/09/11/gish-gallop/

"Gish Gallop is a technique, named after the creationist Duane Gish who employed it, whereby someone argues a cause by hurling as many different half-truths and no-truths into a very short space of time so that their opponent cannot hope to combat each point in real time. This leaves some points unanswered and allows the original speaker to try and claim his opponent lacks the counter-arguments."
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:17 am

GrahamB wrote:Fair enough, I shall just assume you aren't serious and you love making use of the Gish Gallop https://speakingofresearch.com/2012/09/11/gish-gallop/

"Gish Gallop is a technique, named after the creationist Duane Gish who employed it, whereby someone argues a cause by hurling as many different half-truths and no-truths into a very short space of time so that their opponent cannot hope to combat each point in real time. This leaves some points unanswered and allows the original speaker to try and claim his opponent lacks the counter-arguments."

Right,now we are talking about Gish Gallop....tish tosh...and diversion... I meet with Labour Party activists every week and they are genuinely concerned about trans activism in the party, woke politics and momentum, and the list of child sex offenders within their rank....amongst other more pressing things obviously like a mass extinction event...(of the party)

Gish Gallop along now

Rich
emptycloud

Postby GrahamB on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:21 am

Now we're on to trans activism! What's next - climate change denial? Come on - I'm sure you can go for the full house.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 am

Jail them for thought crime or when they transgress and offend..

I guess you're not talking about woke people. However, you've ignored my points about morality. See, we can find points of agreement in terms of right and wrong.

Personally, I've always thought the purpose of martial arts was to help the defenseless and oppressed. I'd try to protect the kid from a pedo or kidnapper. To me, everyone who's woke would do the same. The difference is whether we'd protect the gay kid from the bullies. More importantly, whether we'd feel it was morally right to defend them. Pick another "oppressed" group, like a homeless person; I'd have the same argument. Shucks, I was even raised a Christian; so, imo, it's a theologically moral requirement. Yeah, I know; Christians don't all agree with homosexuality. Fine. Means nothing to me. Christians have a long history of killing each other over Christianity. JC is the moral example, not Christians --let alone their leaders.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:22 pm

GrahamB wrote:Now we're on to trans activism! What's next - climate change denial? Come on - I'm sure you can go for the full house.

In the context of The Labour Party I evoked Trans activism. You may or may not of noticed that it (tran rights) has driven a fault line through the party. This plays into the hands of the right with depressing outcomes. I am unfortunate in that I have privy to whats going on at the heart of Labour due to a regular and long time connection. Although even with out the connection its pretty obvious that the Labour Party has become nothing more than a middle class pressure group.

As for climate denial - I make a sort of living from being a climate activist..so no bingo..

stay awake

Rich
Last edited by emptycloud on Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emptycloud

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:43 pm

I make a sort of living from being a climate activist

This is excellent and I applaud it.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:25 am

It's all getting a bit heated isn't it? Why don't we take a break for 5 minutes with a fun quiz?

I got 8/10

https://qz.app.do/who-said-it-jordan-peterson-or-baron-vladimir-harkonnen
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:56 am

GrahamB wrote:It's all getting a bit heated isn't it? Why don't we take a break for 5 minutes with a fun quiz?

I got 8/10

hey Graham,

We're done here, we've moved on to taking magic mushrooms and deep ecology. Join us, lets go for a ride....

can you pass the acid test..?

yours

Richly
Last edited by emptycloud on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
emptycloud

Postby origami_itto on Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:27 am

GrahamB wrote:It's all getting a bit heated isn't it? Why don't we take a break for 5 minutes with a fun quiz?

I got 8/10

Posted this on page one, but we need more results to compare!

I got 5/10 and I was really trying

can you pass the acid test?

Give this one a listen...
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 am

Great minds think alike!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby emptycloud on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:24 pm

oragami_itto wrote:

I got 8/10

Posted this on page one, but we need more results to compare!

I got 5/10 and I was really trying

can you pass the acid test?

Give this one a listen...

nice, who doesn't dig the chemicals..

less elaborate but a banger from the underground, back in the day..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd1Dsvvooio
emptycloud

Previous

Return to Off the Topic