Dunning Kruger effect test (on someone else)

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Dunning Kruger effect test (on someone else)

Postby everything on Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 am

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/heres-ho ... think.html

TL;DR:
As my Inc. colleague Jessica Stillman says, "next time you're trying to determine if someone is actually super smart or simply bluffing, don't ask whether they're always right. Instead, ask when was the last time they changed their opinion. If they can't name lots of times they were wrong, they're probably not as smart as they want to appear."

I suppose you could ask yourself the same question to try to determine if you're an idiot about something... or in general...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Dunning Kruger effect test (on someone else)

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:27 pm

Every family has at least one real idiot. If it isn't immediately and clearly obvious to you who that person is in your own family, it's probably you. ;D
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:48 pm

Anybody who references the Dunning-Kruger effect but who has not read the actual research is likely guilty of thinking they know much more on the subject than they actually do.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Every family has at least one real idiot. If it isn't immediately and clearly obvious to you who that person is in your own family, it's probably you. ;D

Hmmmmmmmmmmm lol
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:50 am

Bhassler wrote:Anybody who references the Dunning-Kruger effect but who has not read the actual research is likely guilty of thinking they know much more on the subject than they actually do.

;D Not bad, not bad.

Honestly, though, it seems like the most common misconception in regards to the original study is the misunderstanding that those with no expertise will have higher confidence than those with expertise. In reality, the people with true expertise have the highest confidence, with those with the lowest/no expertise having the next highest confidence (well above those with middling expertise).

But, later studies done by the same authors (eg: 2013) showed that ignoramuses could and did display confidence statistically equal to those with true expertise. So, I think most people who use the term organically (rather than preemptively as it is sometimes used on this board), aren't that far off.

Then again, there are also cultural differences that have illustrated that the Dunning Kruger effect is not universal. The Japanese appear to be less full of shit, for example.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:36 am

It seems in Japanese culture, you can apprentice for 50 years with an actual master and still not feel you’ve gotten it down just yet.

How refreshing it would be to have just a little of this attitude / worldview. Instead QBs and drop out media personalities and shitshow politicians are “experts”.
Last edited by everything on Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:55 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Honestly, though, it seems like the most common misconception in regards to the original study is the misunderstanding that those with no expertise will have higher confidence than those with expertise. In reality, the people with true expertise have the highest confidence, with those with the lowest/no expertise having the next highest confidence (well above those with middling expertise).

But, later studies done by the same authors (eg: 2013) showed that ignoramuses could and did display confidence statistically equal to those with true expertise. So, I think most people who use the term organically (rather than preemptively as it is sometimes used on this board), aren't that far off.

Then again, there are also cultural differences that have illustrated that the Dunning Kruger effect is not universal. The Japanese appear to be less full of shit, for example.

Actually, there seems to be a pretty good chance that the whole thing is a statistical artefact, rather than any sort of real phenomena.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/criti ... y-not-real

With that in mind, the article in the OP is quite hilarious.

everything wrote:It seems in Japanese culture, you can apprentice for 50 years with an actual master and still not feel you’ve gotten it down just yet.

How refreshing it would be to have just a little of this attitude / worldview. Instead QBs and drop out media personalities and shitshow politicians are “experts”.

In my experience the attitude is common among people who are passionate about a subject and have pursued it seriously for a long time (as in decades). It's much more common now to see people develop some skill in one area and then start glomming other activities onto that skillset and assuming they have mastery of both. They never know what they miss out on if they had properly learned the later stuff in it's own context rather than just assuming it's all the same. Which (unsurprisingly) goes back to other comments I've made about some who claim to have mastered all or multiple MA and present their own theories of why they are all the same.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:10 am

Bhassler wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:Honestly, though, it seems like the most common misconception in regards to the original study is the misunderstanding that those with no expertise will have higher confidence than those with expertise. In reality, the people with true expertise have the highest confidence, with those with the lowest/no expertise having the next highest confidence (well above those with middling expertise).

Actually, there seems to be a pretty good chance that the whole thing is a statistical artefact, rather than any sort of real phenomena.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/criti ... y-not-real

With that in mind, the article in the OP is quite hilarious.

I had thought so too, for a while. I was first introduced to the concept through the initial paper and a rebuttal some years back in an environmental history class I was TAing for. I think there is some consensus that the original paper was flawed, as were some of the proofs carried out to support it. But, similar findings have been replicated so many times now that it would seem that there is actually something to it, at least in a given culture.

At any rate, I think the important thing to learn from it (which is cited in your link) is what Dunning says about it being "about us." Meaning, it's probably best not to use it to castigate, but rather to remember that we can all commit the crime. I'll try and remember that myself.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm

I see many instances of individuals being overconfident in their knowledge, skills and opinions. Of course, this can vary with different subjects and various groups, but it does seem to be intuitively correct that many people have biases (e.g., ego) that lead them to overestimate themselves. One simple example is that ~88% of Americans think that they are above average drivers (although I do not know if their self-evaluations match the D-K curve profile). Some factors (psychology?, culture?, ego?…) contribute to that misrepresentation. I doubt that the issue has been studied extensively enough to parse out the contributing factors for various specific situations, but I do think that there is something to it. One needs to have a certain level of wisdom/expertise about any subject in order to fairly evaluate that subject (and therefore one’s own skill level), and those with less experience appear to be especially bad at evaluating abilities (whether their own or other people’s). The McKnight study appears to be showing the trend that a large enough group tends to approximate things better than do individuals (all the individual over- and underestimations get averaged out). I am not convinced that McKnight is looking at the same thing as D-K seems to reflect (i.e. studying something that averages out (e.g., coin tosses) rather than something where there is a clear bias that skews the results (e.g. the USA drivers’ opinions).
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:06 pm

I'm more interested in the test - on others or on oneself. How do I know if I'm actually an expert, have knowledge, am smart? Or am I actually quite ignorant, a beginner, or actually stupid about something? How do we know? With all the people doing "research" by listening to someone like Joe Rogan (certified stupid person), it would really seem helpful if there actually were some easy method. You would think, for example, if you did poorly in chemistry and biology, you might have some awareness you aren't qualified to do "research" on medical topics. Yet.... Welll ..... in the meantime there is always old.reddit.com/r/selfawarewolves
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:55 pm

A man has got to know his limitations. Shame on him if he thinks he has none. Full cup and all that. If you think you know everything about anything you're wrong. But I think the issue of having confidence in one's opinion is almost universal. A wise man can learn from a fool.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:02 pm

it just seems a little difficult. the more intelligent you get about something, the more aware you probably are of the limitations (like einstein at the edge of physics had to know what are the known unknowns and some better sense of what might be unknown unknowns).

but what if you know almost nothing about something? and still think you're "an above average driver". it seems the only way to combat it is to assume you are really ignorant, then try to find out what it is that others might know. it's too bad most people don't approach knowledge this way. they think they are "independent thinkers" (to reference the other thread).
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:25 pm

Um, well, intelligence isn't the same as knowledgeable. It can determine how knowledgeable someone can become, but it's randomly distributed. I.e., some people can learn calculus; some people can't. No one can tell unless they try. Otoh, people who do calculus generally know there's a limit (:)) to their ability. Einstein used other mathematician's work (Emmy Noether) to describe his theory --calling her the most important woman in the history of math. Noether's theorem is fundamental to mathematical physics.

Most people with sense will agree that they're not as intelligent as Noether. Otoh, almost anyone can learn calculus, her theorem, and cosmological physics. Otoh, how many people do you know who could reproduce everything in their sight right now. I ain't talking about a microwave oven or cellphone. How about a glass, knife, paper, etc. So, I ain't gonna tell a glassmaker I know how a better way to make glass.

I think this is also a matter of humility. If someone sat next to Dunning on a plane and started complaining about the DK effect, and was corrected. For sure, the guy would argue his case for a good while --until Dunning says "I wrote the article.":) This happens a lot.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:50 pm

At some point “multiple intelligences” came into vogue.

I would say there is intelligence (a natural talent) in an area , like math, or painting, then that can help you be knowledgeable in the subject or the variants.

My question is more about the intelligence.

If you have poor intelligence in chem and bio AND knowledge in those, why do you conclude you can do “research” on vaccines, for example. It makes no sense unless you don’t realize your low level of intelligence and knowledge.

Then…why is that the case?
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:56 am

It's the case because it can be. If it were heart surgery, how many people would say they could do research and then do a valve bypass better than a heart surgeon? It wouldn't take much intelligence to know that.

The point is this (condition) is relative to the issue. Do preachers know more about God. Otoh, there's stuff actually written in the Gospels, and then there's what the preachers say. And, then there's what people and preachers end up doing.:)
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic