heel strike? what do you say?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

heel strike? what do you say?

Postby everything on Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:27 pm

disclaimer: not a "runner" and I'd go farther to say running is probably one of the worst exercises people can do ??? . everyone I know who is a "runner" ends up with repetitive stress injuries. etc., etc., vs. running in sports seems great, but I digress.

but any way, what do you think about all the hullabaloo about heel striking?

how about for walking?

here's a long, long video on this topic. (randomly chosen)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: heel strike? what do you say?

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Fwiw, jogging on the heels is probably bad, but not equally bad for everyone. Walking is a bit more complicated. However, Bob and Brad, as physiotherapists, deal with people who have issues. If your knees are hurting, using a heel strike may hurt or be aggravating. It all depends.

Running using the mid foot takes a bit more effort, but check out Kipchoge break the 2 hour marathon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoxFkJlVZlA

Afa ordinary walking, using the mid foot will help to relieve stress. Otoh, if someone is young and isn't having any problems, heel walking is fine. I had to relearn to walk, and using the right technique was important. So, however, you do it that doesn't hurt is okay, and if it starts to hurt, find another way. Check out the ballet walk --and they can more fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=307Az8PX4Z0

Walking isn't simple or easy.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Everyone looks so graceful.

Looks like the runners use the mid foot?

The dancer: wow what a beautiful walk.

I kinda want to see her piquan or something haha.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:15 am

Good question here vis. running technique and injury. IMO a lot comes down to consistency and supplemental training to keep the legs limber. I did a bit of middle distance track back in the school days coming from no base whatsoever and the first season I was constantly at the trainer with shin splints, sore feet, and knee bursitis but stuck with it and after the first 3 months it got a lot better. One of the things the trainers really hammered on was to warm up, stretch, run the workout and then stretch again before cooldown.

I know plenty of people who are competitive runners who are not injured but it's a lifestyle choice where they are using the foam rollers, doing gym workouts for strength etc. I also have a friend who is a former NCAA D1 track athlete who has been battling knee problems for the past couple of years etc.

There's some good advice here https://strengthrunning.com/running-injuries/
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 am

those stats the article lists more or less match my anecdotal evidence. most or a huge number of people somehow hurt themselves. it seems like deliberate/accidental repetitive stress self-abuse. we aren't "designed" for 40 hours of sitting, then 2 hours of setting PRs.

however, if it's someone's "lifestyle" to try to be healthier, I certainly get it ... in which case, form seems really important. and if we're going to do even more walking, form also seems really important. It feels odd to me that the heel wouldn't at least touch down some, but I can see why "heel striking" isn't great. since I have fairly flat feet, I suspect having a really good foot structure must help quite a lot with the initial force absorption and continuation into the next step.
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:38 am

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:18 pm

The folks I know that run and know about chi running, swear by chi running.

https://www.chirunning.com/
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:19 pm

I like his distinction between walking and running.

In my "application", the best guy in the world doesn't seem to heel strike, so ...

everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:43 pm

yeah that chi running always looked helpful. just a slight lean, "controlled falling", gentle forefoot strikes. thinking more about it, your foot build and your body build (brock lesnar shouldn't be doing marathons) probably would be the main factors whether you can be a "runner" (most people can run, but not everyone should be a "runner"). for everyone else, I stand by my claim that this kind of exercise is really, really, really not a good one to do. hit the elliptical, swim, bicycle, walk, do tai chi, yoga, judo, play pickleball, learn to meditate, skip a few min of rope, do Simple+Sinister ... so many better ways to attain fitness and "zen" and runner's high. yet "runners" are the ones with the most egregious bumper stickers I see the most. :-\ if I'm feeling "aggro" I want to say "how about you do judo with me for 5 minutes ... then remove your stupid sticker and I'll give you a judo sticker for your conspicuous consumption /bragging about your hobby?" The last coworker I had who bragged about her Ironman just bragged about her double hip replacement surgery. LIKE WTF DUDE. SERIOUSLY? You can't see the problem here? r/selfawarewolves for sure.
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:40 am

AFA triathlons It's possible to be up to 75/80 kg and still do ironmans if one is tall, one needs to have a bit of arm muscle for the swim section. That being said I think most of the triathletes I know concentrate mostly on their run and swim rather than the bike

a bit of analyis here https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/height_weight.html
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 am

so ... the Olympians were lighter and taller?

you shouldn't be too far out of this range ... at a given height ... weigh this?

I mean I always like scraping the web (doesn't have to be python) so that was cool. the summary stats payoff wasn't as great as I/he probably hoped.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic