taiji ball peng and rollback

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: taiji ball peng and rollback

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:03 am

Bao wrote:When I hear people describe some kinds of skills of their teachers or their experiences, I often start to recall things I’ve heard from Yellow Bamboo, Falungong and similar sects. You can always feel when someone’s excitement feels extreme.

Mack has been with Mizner for a long time now. But this sounds like it would be something new. Don’t you think that it’s highly unlikely, or at least odd, that he wouldn’t have encountered the same skills before? This is why I will dismiss it, it just doesn’t make sense that a long time student shows just as much excitement as a beginner about his teacher’s skills. It feels like another of their marketing, promotional act. So I will remember this and wait for what new skills that Mack will claim about Mizner in five and in ten years from now. I am seriously expecting some really, really profound supernatural shit.

You might be thinking of his dad, Andy Mack, though I think Duran has been training a few years now.

I'm willing to grant that a teacher might not show everything up front, so the fact that he only saw it now doesn't necessarily mean that it's not legitimate. It could also be that the ability is only recently developed. And also, you have to consider that the teacher has a head start on the student. Even if the student gets to the same place the teacher was when they started, they've both been developing and improving that entire time.

The claims alone strain credulity, but having no direct experience or exposure I put it in the same category as ghosts and God. I don't have definite proof one way or the other, so I remain agnostic. I can only state what it appears to be based on my previous knowledge, experience, and understanding: Unlikely.

I'd love to be proved wrong, who doesn't want super powers?

But in watching videos of Duran and Adam, specifically, my thoughts even before that is that Duran couldn't punch Adam if Adam was tied to a post with a blindfold on. There's a significant and obvious mental block that is difficult to overcome when dealing with a respected teacher. You want the teacher to like you, and you want their skills to be real, so you cooperate and do what they want.

I saw a mentalist in Las Vegas, and at one point he called me out of the audience to participate. I can't remember the whole bit, but he showed me an analog watch and said "it reads 4:15, right" and I agreed, but it really was pointing to like 4:17 or so. The suggestive wording and feeling of urgency he created, along with the stress of being in front of a crowd of strangers and the desire to not rock the boat all sort of combined to make the agreement fly out of my mouth before I could really process the truth. And even afterwards the impulse to protect my own ego rationalized it as "close enough".

This is Adam and Duran, he's the one that starts off camera on the far left with the darker hair and beard.
https://youtu.be/ZTZysb9yTNM
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:55 pm

something like the basketball bounce is always satisfying. however, the more rare stuff.... well that is what gets really interesting. but it does sort of sound like "ghost stories" lol
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:59 am

oragami_itto wrote:I'd love to be proved wrong, who doesn't want super powers?

Honestly said, I stopped caring about “special” skills a long time ago. IMO, what you can achieve just with body mechanics and things like applying force, using precise angles and subtle use of leverage, has plenty enough to study and continue to develop for more than a lifetime.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:14 am

Bao wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:I'd love to be proved wrong, who doesn't want super powers?

Honestly said, I stopped caring about “special” skills a long time ago. IMO, what you can achieve just with body mechanics and things like applying force, using precise angles and subtle use of leverage, has plenty enough to study and continue to develop for more than a lifetime.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The direct results I've already achieved are enough to keep me interested and working for more of the same. No need to dangle supernatural carrots.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:20 pm

that's um, good, but I'd encourage you to check out Mizner or anyone who someone says has "something". if they have that, you won't be disappointed. you can then have your cake and your icing. if they don't have it, you still have your cake. nothing to lose except some small amount of time/money. lots to gain.

I've played with ex-pros in my sport, trained a kid who will go pro in another sport, my brother was an S&C coach at a d1 school, my neighbor was a pro in the NFL and his son will probably be d1 in baseball, and all that incredible athletic stuff they can do is really astounding stuff. leverage and blah blah blah. but it's altogether different when you encounter the "unusual". well, that's my sales pitch for you. i'm not selling a course or anything. have nothing to gain except we'd have more to talk about here.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:04 pm

It's always a good idea to maintain an open mind. For truth to reveal itself about anyone or anything, it is sometimes necessary to abandon biased opinions by emptying your cup a bit. However, while almost anything is potentially possible, some things remain highly improbable.

As such, many people make claims which they never validate through personal demonstration, while others make claims which they can apparently validate anywhere at anytime. Thus, where doubt prevails regarding someone's claims of skill, the only feasible resolution is to seek them out for a live demonstration of said skill. Those who can actually do what is claimed will dispell your doubt by showing you, and those who can't won't. It's just that simple. :P
Last edited by Doc Stier on Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Off the Topic