Decoding the Gurus: Joe Rogan

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Decoding the Gurus: Joe Rogan

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:38 am

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir ... ce=w_share

Needed to be done. Expertly roasted.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Decoding the Gurus: Joe Rogan

Postby origami_itto on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Three hours?! Who has three hours to listen to some random podcast. They are trending in the wrong direction.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:33 am

That's funny, because that's exactly what I think about watching Adam Mizner's online learning programme.

Each to their own I guess?

;)
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:00 am

Nah those are like 15 minutes each, perfect for the man on the go
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:50 am

Damn! Their evisceration of that dreadful Scott Adams guy is spot on, too.

https://decoding-the-gurus.captivate.fm ... go-to-hell
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:05 pm

Joe Rogan got paid off...forget about it!

Don't trust anything Joe says. He's cashing in on the conspiracy theory market. Can't blame him really. Outrage sells.

Cult of Dusty says it all in this short video.

https://youtu.be/3-ZZxlcskYs

FWIW I had solid instruction in China but unfortunately so much of this cult like mentality is so deeply ingrained into some KF circles that if you try to show people what they really need to do and train it doesn't get you anywhere. I think people love the idea of a teacher with a cult following and all the answers.

I used to try to train people but as soon as I tried to teach the real stuff "without mystery" instead being a master with all the secrets they dipped.

One time I went to Oakland and did push hands with an OG who was famous as having the best push hands in the area. When I started "winning" crowds were forming wondering what was happening. Granted I was half his age and twice his size. When people started gathering around I chose for him not to lose face and we ended with him figuring me out. He is and was amazing! Best push hands I have had the privilege to experience outside of China. But the whole dethroning the King I just can't get into anymore. I wouldn't say I have grown up but I think the unrealistic way people look at their KF teachers creates an impossible learning environment.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:45 am

Kind of took a left turn their Cylde? One minute you're on about Joe Rogan, then you switched to fake masters in China?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:14 pm

Joe Rogan is a whore.

Actually not China, the States .
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:15 pm

gzregorz wrote:FWIW I had solid instruction in China but unfortunately so much of this cult like mentality is so deeply ingrained into some KF circles that if you try to show people what they really need to do and train it doesn't get you anywhere. I think people love the idea of a teacher with a cult following and all the answers.

I used to try to train people but as soon as I tried to teach the real stuff "without mystery" instead being a master with all the secrets they dipped.

One time I went to Oakland and did push hands with an OG who was famous as having the best push hands in the area. When I started "winning" crowds were forming wondering what was happening. Granted I was half his age and twice his size. When people started gathering around I chose for him not to lose face and we ended with him figuring me out. He is and was amazing! Best push hands I have had the privilege to experience outside of China. But the whole dethroning the King I just can't get into anymore. I wouldn't say I have grown up but I think the unrealistic way people look at their KF teachers creates an impossible learning environment.

And yet, with all due respect, you promote yourself and your skills as a practitioner and teacher, with the pretense of personal modesty, in much the same way as others do with stories like the one shared above. How will you react when you eventually encounter someone who is capable of dethroning you? :o
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 pm

Actually I don't promote myself in any way or teach. Just joining in a friendly conversation. As a vet I mistakenly believed I lived in a free country.

If you do want a challenge feel free in helping me in my 5 ton truck, walking 10 miles a day and moving 150 pound packages for 12 hour days. I am sure it can be arranged. If you can outlast me then you win. I will need a helper next December and I will do all the driving. I am up for it because for me it is just another day. Are you?
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:31 am

Ouch! It seems that I touched a tender spot, but you were definitely bragging about your push hands skill, and have continued to brag in your response regarding your daily work load. Sounds challenging to maintain as a long-term effort, but more power to you. It's all good, if that's what you choose to do. I prefer to put my own exhaustive physical efforts into my daily training regimen, where I only compete against myself. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:30 am

I take that as a no.

Very unfortunate. Helpers do get about $25 an hour. Offer still stands if you change your mind. Work starts in November and goes to Xmas. Otherwise I will do it myself.

Anyone else interested is free to join but no whiners.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:47 am

Yes push hands can be a problem because use it as a measuring stick for real skills as you say. The problem I don't really give a damn because the best push hands comes as a result of both people trying to learn instead if of people always trying to win. I guess the closest thing I can think of is BJJ. If you are a blackbelt and destroying white belts you are just seen as a jerk. Good quality BJJ would be a BB working on their personal weaknesses, defenses or new techniques against someone with lesser skill and sometimes losing. Can't say or know if all BJJ is like that today and in fact I doubt it. The issues are the same. When everyone is hyper competitive very little new learning is really happening.

Bragging about my push hands? Not really. Just got tons of experience but bored with the whole of King of the park game.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:18 am

Nice deflection, but you didn't answer my question. It doesn't matter to me, but it is a question that you should consider for yourself, since there will always be people out there somewhere who are more adept at the same skill sets we possess, or who possess skill sets we don't have. Just stating a simple truth. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:50 am

I think you are reading into my comments something that isn't there. Texted you my number and you can call me to discuss this because I really have no idea what you are talking about and I don't waste my time on the internet these days just pop in every now and again to see what's up but I don't take anything on any forum anywhere seriously. So call me and can discuss.
Last edited by gzregorz on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic