Woman can see 100 million colors

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Woman can see 100 million colors

Postby everything on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:50 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... on-colours

Normal people can see one million

The trunks of her eucalyptus trees are hued with violet and mauve; the yellow crest on her cockatoo has hints of green and blue; the hypercolour of a garden landscape looks almost psychedelic.

“It’s not just an affectation and it’s not artistic licence,” says Antico. “I’m actually painting exactly what I see. If it’s a pink flower and then all of a sudden you see a bit of lilac or blue, I actually saw that.”

Antico is a tetrachromat, which means she has a fourth colour receptor in her retina compared with the standard three which most people have. While those of us with three of these receptors – called cone cells – have the ability to distinguish around one million different colours, tetrachromats see an estimated 100 million.
Last edited by everything on Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: Woman can see 100 million colors

Postby wiesiek on Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:29 am

cool to have extra sensor, :)
however, women,( in general) are more sensitive for colors, than men.
But, for ex.:
what about impressionists ?, or look on paintings done by schizophrenic...
Me thinkin`, that all (colors processing in the Art) depends from our CPU, aka brain.
This can makin` piece of art from bunch of vibrating colors.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:13 am

One thing I've always chewed on in idle thought is whether or not we see the same colors.

Like when our cones come across the frequency we call blue, are we both seeing the same blue or is what I see as blue what you see as red?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:52 am

yeah I wonder as well. Was the dress white/gold or black/blue? https://slate.com/technology/2017/04/he ... and%20gold.

I took an "aptitude test" once that included a musical note pitch test. The notes got closer and closer together and harder to distinguish for me. A musician or someone with perfect pitch could surely distinguish them or even identify them all.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:54 am

wiesiek wrote:cool to have extra sensor, :)
however, women,( in general) are more sensitive for colors, than men.
But, for ex.:
what about impressionists ?, or look on paintings done by schizophrenic...
Me thinkin`, that all (colors processing in the Art) depends from our CPU, aka brain.
This can makin` piece of art from bunch of vibrating colors.

bees supposedly see frequencies (almost all) humans cannot. so flowers supposedly look much more vibrant to them. which makes a lot of sense from an evolutionary pov.

those artists who can see or hear more. guess we're lucky if they can share some of it.
Last edited by everything on Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:06 am

everything wrote:yeah I wonder as well. Was the dress white/gold or black/blue? https://slate.com/technology/2017/04/he ... and%20gold.

Not so much that, more like a pallate swap on an old 16 color graphics program. Or how like cilantro tastes like soap to some people. So we would both agree that the dress is white/gold, but what you see as white/gold looks like what I see as black/blue, but I still call it white/gold. Not like colorblindness, but just a diffferent set of colors.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:06 am

everything wrote:yeah I wonder as well. Was the dress white/gold or black/blue? https://slate.com/technology/2017/04/he ... and%20gold.

Not so much that, more like a pallate swap on an old 16 color graphics program. Or how like cilantro tastes like soap to some people. So we would both agree that the dress is white/gold, but what you see as white/gold looks like what I see as black/blue, but I still call it white/gold. Not like colorblindness, but just a diffferent set of colors.
Free Tai Chi Classes |
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:35 am

I have a weird sense of humour but I was watching a movie about the "blind" samurai ( a recent version) and as he was leaving the house where he was ambushed and he vanquished his 'enemies", (the movie was ending) he passed by a fence and stubbed his toe(s) over an obstacle and he excalimed "OOps, I didn't see that" and the movie ended. I just broke into riotious laughter
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:25 pm

oragami_itto wrote:

one of my sports teams uses a neon yellow/green shirt. half of us call it yellow, but a few call it green. I can't tell if everyone can perceive the frequencies of light the same way or what is going on. like everyone sees what I call yellow, but some call it something else, kind of the opposite of what you're describing.

I met someone who had covid way back when (early 2020) and who said that cilantro no longer tastes the same. 23andme tries to predict if a person will like cilantro or can smell "asparagus pee" and a few other funny things like that.
everything
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:52 pm

As someone who is somewhat red/green color blind, I can state with some certainty that we don't all see the same colors. I was just talking with a good buddy who is also R/G color blind, and he sees different colors than me. Now, to be clear, color blind does not mean that I can't see colors. It's more that certain colors look completely different to me. There are also a few that I mix up or have trouble differentiating.

The weirdest one is that lawns and other bright green grasses look neon orange to me. When I started a career building playgrounds, the first thing we did was dig a lot of holes by hand. Well, the foreman had painted a bunch of x's on the ground with circles around them with bright orange marking paint on a field and I was to dig out the holes. I couldn't see the markings at all. They all thought I was messing with them and I never lived that one down. For the next year or two, they would make a huge deal of it and paint the areas to be excavated in blue, and then the area I was to put the dirt in yellow, mocking me all the while. It was pretty funny.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:56 pm

ability to see even full spectrum, doesn`t make art, just honey :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:19 pm

Have no idea if my mom had a similar thing, but I've heard that some women see much more colors than everyone else. She did. In fact, her color vision was so excellent so the academy of arts hired her to create a better (or maybe more precise) standard for the color wheel. I think this was in the late 70's. If it's the same they use nowadays, I don't know.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:00 pm

oh wow, any idea how she realized she could do that? I imagine as a kid, she just assumed everyone else could see the same colors.

ian, that's a great story, funny memory, and good description of how this perception could be so different for different people. wiesiek, very true.
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:41 am

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:As someone who is somewhat red/green color blind, I can state with some certainty that we don't all see the same colors. I was just talking with a good buddy who is also R/G color blind, and he sees different colors than me. Now, to be clear, color blind does not mean that I can't see colors. It's more that certain colors look completely different to me. There are also a few that I mix up or have trouble differentiating.

The weirdest one is that lawns and other bright green grasses look neon orange to me. When I started a career building playgrounds, the first thing we did was dig a lot of holes by hand. Well, the foreman had painted a bunch of x's on the ground with circles around them with bright orange marking paint on a field and I was to dig out the holes. I couldn't see the markings at all. They all thought I was messing with them and I never lived that one down. For the next year or two, they would make a huge deal of it and paint the areas to be excavated in blue, and then the area I was to put the dirt in yellow, mocking me all the while. It was pretty funny.

That's amazing - seeing green grass as neon orange must be a bit like Alice in Wonderland!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:54 am

Radiolab has had some very interesting podcast on colors

Why Isn't the Sky Blue?
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/segments/211213-sky-isnt-blue
Producer Tim Howard introduces us to linguist Guy Deutscher, and the story of William Gladstone (a British Prime Minister back in the 1800s, and a huge Homer-ophile). Gladstone conducted an exhaustive study of every color reference in The Odyssey and The Iliad. And he found something startling: No blue! Tim pays a visit to the New York Public Library, where a book of German philosophy from the late 19th Century helps reveal a pattern: across all cultures, words for colors appear in stages. And blue always comes last. Jules Davidoff, professor of neuropsychology at the University of London, helps us make sense of the way different people see different colors in the same place.

Tim Howard:
...And then, Gladstone realizes something crazy. The color blue?
Um... Zero times. There's just no word that describes the color blue in any of Homer's poems.
5:30-ish

Even the Bible had no blue? [Not] In the original Hebrew.
7:44 -ish

8:30 ish
Brooke Watkins:
These hymns of more than 10 thousand lines are brimming with descriptions of the heavens. Scarcely is there any subject about more frequently the sun and reddening dawns play of color, day and night, cloud and lightning, the air and the ether are unfolded before us. And over and over in splendor and vivid fullness.
But there's only one thing that no one would ever learn from those ancient songs who do not already know it. And that is that the sky is blue.

It gets weirder.

All right. Because Geiger then wondered, "All right, if there's no blue in any of these old texts, then when did blue come into these languages?"
So, he did this massive analysis to trace when each color term was first introduced to each language. And what he found was - The order at which languages seem to acquire these color terms is not entirely random.

First, black and white. Every language has black and white. Then, when they get their first color term - Red always comes first.
After red, it's always yellow.
And then green, and blue only at the very end.

Well, as people discovered more and more languages, they found some exceptions. But, a couple things held, even from Geiger. Out of these colors, red is always first and blue is always last.
Why?

But, here's where we get to Guy's main point. He says you don't really need a word for a color until you can make that color reliably. And the reason that red might have been first is that red - Is apparently one of the easiest to produce.
You can just take a dried piece of red clay and you can use it as a crayon, which is why paints made out of ochre go back something like 60 thousand years. And blue? Blue is the hardest of all. For thousands of years, no one had it.

And to make a long story short, Jules went to Namibia. He sat down with a bunch of members of the Himba tribe, whipped out a laptop, and showed them 12 colored squares.
All identical except for one.
And there's actually some really cool video footage of his research assistant doing this. And they asked them very simply - Which one is different?

Now, you look at this and you see that 11 of these squares are green. A color we would call green -
Very green. And the other one is blue. This blue one, it's shouting. It's like, "Hey! I'm blue! Over here, I'm blue!"

It's easy enough for us to do. It's a no-brainer. But, the Himba, who don't have a separate word for blue in their language - They find this distinction a little difficult.
When they stare at this screen, they just stare. And stare.

They don't see the difference between the blue and the green?
No.

Well, is there something wrong with their eyes?
No, definitely not. We completely rule that out. They don't see color - the individual colors differently.
But, then wait - It's so easy to say that they're seeing different colors to us, and they're not.

Well, then how does he explain it?

Okay. When we decide to put colors together in a group - And then give those colors a word, like blue -
Something happens.

He says what happens is that now that there's a category for that thing, the thing in that category jumps out. It gets louder and louder to your eyes. The category actually feeds back on your perception so you notice it more.

You're saying that having the word for blue unlocks your ability to see blue?
No, it's not quite that.
He says without the word you're still seeing the blue no matter what. You're just not noticing it. Your eyes are just kind of glossing right over it.
So, you don't see it. It's harder to spot, says Jules.
The blue would not jump out and say, "Hi five," the way it does with us.

But if it doesn't jump out to that extent, then, this is starting to sound very Gladstone-y to me.
I mean, maybe he was a little right. Because if Homer had no word for blue and the word somehow enables the blueness of the blue, then maybe his world was less blue than it would be for us. I mean, maybe the blue went through his eyes in the same way but it, perhaps didn't get into his mind in the same way.
Yeah. Blue didn't matter.

Wait a second. Do you know where this breaks down? The [beep] sky! I mean, you look up and there's the bluest blue in the world and then it's right there above our heads. It's been there since the dawn of time. So, why wouldn't blue matter more? I mean why wouldn't it be the first color instead of the last?
Well, that's what I thought too and I asked Guy about that.
"Why is the sky blue?" is the first question that you always think of.

http://wnyc-origin-iad.streamguys1.com/radiolab/radiolab052112c.mp3?listeningSessionID=0CD_382_39__f545de2bfff926f7a7b3ceceab43dfe55c1e1c21?listeningSessionID=0CD_382_39__f545de2bfff926f7a7b3ceceab43dfe55c1e1c21
Trip
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic