Russia Ukraine Situation

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Russia Ukraine Situation

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:01 pm

I condemn Putin's aggression and illegal invasion of Ukraine. But, it's also helpful to understand how we got here. This lecture is from back in 2015, but quite prescient.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JrMiSQAGOS4?t=132[/youtube]
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:04 pm

I see the usual RSF suspects are providing their usual conspiracy theory nonsense. Just ignore them. They're a lost course. Unfortunately everybody gets a voice on the Internet!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:46 pm

Russia has had a hard-on for killing Ukrainians for a long time.

Keep in mind that most of the Russians in eastern Ukraine were imported by Stalin after having killed a large portion of the indigenous Ukrainian population during the Soviet Union time period.

So, the Ukrainian penchant for randomly shelling, unwanted, Russian newcomers in their territory is no real surprise. Keep in mind the Czechs deported 3M ethnic Germans to eastern Germany back during the Soviet days.

Countries in the region settling newfound lands after having kicked the locals good and hard is no new thing. Likewise, the locals kicking out the newcomers when they get the chance is pretty common as well.

The issue is that the Europeans, and the Biden administration, effectively encouraged what is happening by openly stating "no ground troops in Ukraine." As a result, Putin understood that no one was going to put anything in his way that might cause him long term hardship by starting a war with the Germans/US/whoever.

High oil prices favor Putin as Russia is, and was during Soviet Times, essentially a second world petro-state. So, sanctions don't mean much over the short to mid-term. Everyone wants their oil anyway and as southeast Asia and Africa develop the demand signal is basically unlimited.

Sure, long term the lack of technology transfer, if the sanctions are upheld (which is highly unlikely), could be an issue.

Short answer is the Ukrainians may be screwed. The Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia are probably getting really nervous. If Europe isn't standing for Ukraine, they won't for them. And as Putin is making very clear this may be over in the next week if Kiev falls.

The lack of movement by anyone else should also be making the Taiwanese nervous. Now that the PRC has enacted its final solution on the Uyghurs/Mongolians/Tibetans/Hong Kongers the Taiwanese are the only irritant left in Xi's shoes.

Now the PRC needs the West more than Putin does by a long shot, but if the end result of Putin's efforts is "we will write you a nasty letter if you don't stop and write you another one when you ignore us", maybe Xi begins to think taking out Taiwan will just blow over in a few months.

Finally, every second banana state out there is going to seek nuclear weapons as a result of this. And the long-term risk of a localized nuclear war goes thru the roof.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:49 pm

wiesiek wrote:unbelievable,
do you, guys getting paychecks from Władimir or are children in the fog ?

Russia invade independent country in EUROPE,

Damn, grow up pal. No one is supporting an invasion. I merely gave facts. I can support everything with serious sources. If you have another view, you are welcome to bring up facts and then we can have a mature discussion. But I doubt that you want something like that.

As I said, we should look at all of the involved countries and try to understand their views. We can also understand through history why many Ukraines hate Russians. They have been oppressed for a long time. And Stalin committed a genocide against Ukraine.

Their politics is straight forward from Czar Mikołaj ,and never changed/ing/.
Anything more is just wishful thinkin`,

If you speak about history, learn a bit how the USA have kept meddling in foreign politics all over the World and in the neighboring countries close to the Russian borders, and how they never have changed and keep doing the same things over and over again.

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:I condemn Putin's aggression and illegal invasion of Ukraine. But, it's also helpful to understand how we got here. This lecture is from back in 2015, but quite prescient. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4&t=132s

Yes, that is very good lecture. Ignorant people on the board should learn a lot.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:54 pm

Three hours discussion, posted today. Lots of facts about the situation. Probably too advanced and nuanced for some simple minded people here though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzzVhVbddhM
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:58 pm

GrahamB wrote:I see the usual RSF suspects are providing their usual conspiracy theory nonsense. Just ignore them. They're a lost course.

Unfortunately everybody gets a voice on the Internet!

And your solution would be.

I tend of view it as people have different life experiences and view points.

Some I agree with, others I try to understand,
and some I don’t agree with
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:00 pm

Bao wrote:Three hours discussion, posted today. Lots of facts about the situation. Probably too advanced and nuanced for some simple minded people here though.

Wow simple minded
Along with lost cause’s, ect.

What’s next

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:00 pm

The 80/20 rule continues :-) 20% of countries will own 80% of the landmass.

Graham, didn't know you were so interested in free speech that you want to censor it :D

I would ask of participants in this thread to have no hard feelings against each other. Fighting and killing over different opinions is something we have to collectively leave behind if we wish to move forward.

That doesn't mean intense verbal discussions can't happen. We're all brothers and sisters, aren't we :-) But even siblings misbehave and one may need to defend oneself. Ah, the tragedy of the human condition.

Round 3... Fight! :D
Quigga

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm

windwalker wrote:
Bao wrote:Three hours discussion, posted today. Lots of facts about the situation. Probably too advanced and nuanced for some simple minded people here though.

Wow simple minded
Along with lost cause’s, ect.

What’s next

;D

Don't worry. I didn't talk about you.

"Some" people here obviously refuses to accept anything else than the extremely simplified version in the mainstream media. Simple minded. Take it literary. Simple minds. ;D
Last edited by Bao on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm

If you speak about history, learn a bit how the USA have kept meddling in foreign politics all over the World and in the neighboring countries close to the Russian borders, and how they never have changed and keep doing the same things over and over again.

Yep, totally agree.

Don’t quite understand how anyone would think there could be any other outcome.

Then what’s occurring now.

Unfortunately.

something I’m sure no one wants to see.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:13 pm

windwalker wrote:

Yep, totally agree.

Don’t quite understand how anyone would think there could be any other outcome.

Then what’s occurring now.

Unfortunately.

something I’m sure no one wants to see.

Yes, it's sad. It could have been prevented.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:14 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens when or if Russia is prevented from using the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications "SWIFT"
System for international banking.

The dollar is the reserve currency the world use’s.
One of the main leverage points the US uses in sanctions, at this point in time

Once this is gone or changed what will it use.
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:36 pm

Russia and its pre Soviet brethren were always intent on attempting to destry the territorial integrity of "neighbours" at all costs but Nazism destroyed those ambitions. Some semblance of a War Machine makes this possible and Putin sees this so he will invade just because he can and he knows, and was part of the former Soviet intelligence apparatus that tracked US behaviorual patterns. The track record is that USA will rarely honour agreements to defend those who have assisted.supported, etc them in the past so Putin is hitting 100x through this "exercise". Secondly, he MAY even stop short just to show NATO, he can do what he wants and he will come out with an offereing from the West.

Stalin, the Georgian understood this better than the Russians of the era and they continued that "expansion". The Caucasian republics were taken over, many of their citizens expelled, the Stan's were former CEntral Asian republics with Russian sympathies and Crimea was the b eginning of a Push to exert control and make a Gretaer Mother Russia.

THe Nazi Uknranian connectin is from the past but is seems a great excuse for Putin to use his proxies in Ukraine as a Fifth Element. US Americans pretend that Nazism was destroyed but it lives outside of Europe Proper (HINT: US America) and other places asa predictable pawn, also useful as a blaming tool (propaganda) for all sides to manipulate as required.
The territorial integrity of Ukraine was invaded so Ukraine joing NATO was a choice despite sharing some level of cultural semblance keeping in mind that many of the tops members of the Soviet Regime were Ukranian
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:I condemn Putin's aggression and illegal invasion of Ukraine. But, it's also helpful to understand how we got here. This lecture is from back in 2015, but quite prescient.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/JrMiSQAGOS4?t=132[/youtube]

Ian,

That's a great lecture, thanks for posting.
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:50 pm

My pleasure, Graham! I watched this way back then the year before matriculating there. Sorry I couldn't get the embedded link to work properly, but big ups to Bao for fixing that for me which will hopefully get more folks to check it out.

-Ian
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic