bamboo attempt one

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

bamboo attempt one

Postby everything on Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:06 pm

kind of started my new hobby by buying one tiny (clumping) bamboo plant, then fostering gigantic dreams for more immediately.

basically going to attempt to divide it into three, keep it growing in a planter box as a screen on my deck, and then will move it to the yard as a screen, then if that works basically repeat until my yard privacy screen (blocking out empty spaces at eye level in front of a wooded buffer between another suburban neighborhood and a road) is as full as I am imagining. then eventually ... nice little bagua circle walking space, too. :)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: bamboo attempt one

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:24 pm

Even if it’s clumping be careful if you plant it out
Ask me what to do if you do plant it out
I have a 16 year old bunch I am about to remove
Try to get a nice one for eating
Fresh bamboo is a real treat
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:37 pm

yeah, I am afraid of clumping still spreading. would love to be able to eat the shoots, too. I'm in a -1 to 32 C kind of climate, though, so not sure this experiment/hobby will work too well (but sure gonna try)
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:10 pm

It grows in every environment world wide
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:34 am

the same attributes that make it desirable make it challenging and vice versa, I suppose. yin and yang. it's a taiji master. :P
everything
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:50 pm

Gonna get some bamboo, too. Cool plant 8-)
Quigga

Postby everything on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:07 am

you're not getting running, are you?
everything
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:14 am

Are you saying 'you're not getting anything, are you?' or what are you saying? :-)
Quigga

Postby everything on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:49 am

lol, no was asking you if you're going to get "running" bamboo (the type that is invasive and will send its rhizomes far and wide til it finds a good place to send a shoot up, and take over your entire yard, your neighbor's yard, the neighborhood, etc.). or are you getting "clumping" bamboo (which will slowly spread out in a clump).
everything
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:54 am

It's going to be indoors, unfortunately I don't have a garden :-) It may try to spread, but there's little use. I've heard that most mint types also spread like crazy.
Quigga

Postby everything on Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:04 am

Ah ok perhaps in that case the running kind is fine in a sturdy container.

The rhizomes cannot find more soil so perhaps it will work.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:25 am

up to three species now. first one is probably less upright, so got two more that will be the upright kind.

already making plans to get like 10 more. gonna try to have a nice little circle walking / zhan zhuang / zen garden kind of space, so apparently i'm now into landscape architecture as well as gardening (totally a noob at all of it, but hey that goes with the zhan zhuang noob-ness. beginner's mind, always).
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:09 pm

All bamboo spreads
Running more but clumping as well
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:13 pm

yeah, a bit wary about it... so far, they are in pots, awaiting their new ground spot, but one or two are sending up a new shoot that's looking healthy. shoot is right next to the other ones, but can def anticipate the clumps to spread assuming they survive. dunno if i'll ever eat any but definitely wouldn't mind doing that.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic