Shanghai lockdown video banned in China

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Shanghai lockdown video banned in China

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:28 am

vadaga wrote:That guy is a wumao.

You can't prove this and I don't even think that you make a strong argument for your case.

Even if that was true, there's still no reason to not listen to a person and see if he can offer objective facts and objective sources. Every time I hear that "wumao" I got a sense that the person saying this word is full of prejudice and sometimes I can even smell racism. Dismissing a person by claiming someone is an wumao is just not a valid reason to dismiss everything he or she has too say. But mostly, it's very easy to dismiss people jabbering about "wumaos".

He hasn't shown me anything sitting in front of his camera at his desk that can counter either the videos which are publicly available, or what I have heard from my friends.

I don't even understand what you mean. Maybe you can ask your friend if he has any proofs?

... BTW, I've worked for state owned Chinese companies, so by accepting that low pay grade, you could argue about I have literally been an wumao. That would be a more reasonable statement because you would at least have something to back it up with.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:10 pm

Consistently deflecting all criticism, and evidence, away from one state/country (or more than one) and consisently directing counter-criticism at other states/countries – I mean like, always – well, to my mind this doesn’t make the state in question look good. Instead, it creates a picture of a state entity that can’t stand to be criticized, that claims infallibility and wants to hurl back every criticism with redoubled force to its origin. To my mind, that doesn’t make for good advertising.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:30 pm

Hmm, in some way, shape or form, that could be me
Quigga

Postby Bao on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Giles wrote:Consistently deflecting all criticism, and evidence,

Don't know exactly what you referring to. He (Nathan) didn't. He Said that there are indeed many things that could have been done better. I myself is far from positively excited about how they handle their zero covid policy.

But why not deflect lies, and unfounded accusations? Western media is lying, lying, lying and lying about China and every other country that stands up against the USA. If someone can't see that 98% of everything written about China in Western news is either lies or made as negative as possible, I am afraid that I can't help that person to see things clearer.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:00 am

Giles wrote:Consistently deflecting all criticism, and evidence, away from one state/country (or more than one) and consisently directing counter-criticism at other states/countries – I mean like, always – well, to my mind this doesn’t make the state in question look good. Instead, it creates a picture of a state entity that can’t stand to be criticized, that claims infallibility and wants to hurl back every criticism with redoubled force to its origin. To my mind, that doesn’t make for good advertising.

Locking out international media doesn't help much either... if there's nothing to hide, why isn't anybody but the state-controlled media allowed to check?

https://freedomhouse.org/country/china/ ... world/2021

Overview:
'China’s authoritarian regime has become increasingly repressive in recent years. The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is tightening its control over the state bureaucracy, the media, online speech, religious groups, universities, businesses, and civil society associations, and it has undermined its own already modest rule-of-law reforms. The CCP leader and state president, Xi Jinping, has consolidated personal power to a degree not seen in China for decades, but his actions have also triggered rising discontent among elites within and outside the party. The country’s human rights movements continue to seek avenues for protecting basic liberties despite a multiyear crackdown.'
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:02 am

vadaga wrote:.. if there's nothing to hide, why isn't anybody but the state-controlled media allowed to check?

Check what?

https://freedomhouse.org/country/china/freedom-world/2021
Overview:
'China’s authoritarian regime has become increasingly repressive in recent years. The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is tightening its control over the state bureaucracy, the media, online speech, religious groups, universities, businesses, and civil society associations,

I don't agree that it has become more repressive. Better controlled. And sure, the internet ande media is more controlled than for 10-15 years ago.

But they really need to do a lot of this. The West, the USA and UK especially, infiltrates religious groups and different associations. This is what they have done for many, many years. Just up to the year 2000, the USA has been involved in 80 regime changes, the vast majority of the overthrown governments were, just like the Ukraine, democratic elected leaders. And it has never become more democratic in those countries, but the opposite.

China does very well to protect itself from the CIA's NED fundings, from UK and other countries that would love to stir up even more trouble and cause more of thousands of deaths than they already have. HK and Xinjiang are only recent examples. Earlier, through many decades the CIA funded terrorists in Tibet and blamed the problems on China. This is very well documented by now.

"The CIA Tibetan Activity consists of political action, propaganda, and paramilitary activity. The purpose of the program at this stage is to keep the political concept of an autonomous Tibet alive within Tibet and among foreign nations, principally India, and to build a capability for resistance against possible political developments inside Communist China."

https://history.state.gov/historicaldoc ... 68v30/d337

And the Dalai Lama collaborated with the CIA and received fundings of millions of dollars each compared to inflation, year just to put in his own pockets:

"The cost of the Tibetan Program for FY 1964 can be summarized in approximate figures as follows:"

"b.Subsidy to the Dalai Lama—$ 180,000"

Total—$ 1,735,000

China should protect itself, they must do this to protect their civillians. They are forced to control the media as the USA funds their "soft wars" more and more every year.

But the freedom of speech and traditional religious practice is very free in China. The authorities don't really care about what you say or what you believe as long as you don't try to cause a lot of trouble. I know christians, buddhists, muslims and even uighurs in China. They live very good lives and speak up whenever they feel like it.

The CCP leader and state president, Xi Jinping, has consolidated personal power to a degree not seen in China for decades, but his actions have also triggered rising discontent among elites within and outside the party.

That is true. The party itself has different fractions and they don't always get along perfectly well. Of course many love power and want more money. But still, China does a few, far better job controlling political corruption than countries as the USA, Ukraine, or Taiwan if you want to regard it as a country.

The country’s human rights movements continue to seek avenues for protecting basic liberties despite a multiyear crackdown.'

You mean foreign human rights movement, NGO's funded by governments.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:19 am

SCMT wrote:Looks like Beijing could be heading for lockdown if numbers climb

"The largest number of new cases has been confirmed in the Chaoyang District of the capital. District authorities restricted outings in some areas, and asked residents to work from home in principle, starting Monday."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220425_26/

2 hours ago:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/26/lockdown-fears-grow-as-beijing-tests-20-million-people-for-covid
Last edited by vadaga on Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:36 am

Hey Bao,

The way you come across on this board, suggests that you are either an ass or suffering a severe mental health crisis.

I don't know what's going on with you but we are trying to have an adult discussion among a group of people who have lived or do live in China.

I a mutt and a mix of a few things on of which is Chinese. I would love China to succeed and show the colonizers of the world a thing or two but that's not here or there. This isn't a political discussion or a pro or anti-China discussion anymore than the Ukrainian thread is pro or anti anything. If you can't understand that then you need to seek mental help.

No offense but I don't read your contributions anymore except for the first sentence or two and then by the third you feel the need to insult people. If I wanted that I would be on Facebook.

Feel free to skip and or avoid any threads I start. You can always start a separate break away thread on the same subject for people who want to have a conversation with you.

The way I see it because I have been there too, is that people who are posting such bitterness online are not happy with what is happening in their lives. Perhaps you should start there.
Last edited by gzregorz on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby SCMT on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:29 pm

vadaga wrote:
SCMT wrote:Looks like Beijing could be heading for lockdown if numbers climb

"The largest number of new cases has been confirmed in the Chaoyang District of the capital. District authorities restricted outings in some areas, and asked residents to work from home in principle, starting Monday."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220425_26/

2 hours ago:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/4/26/lockdown-fears-grow-as-beijing-tests-20-million-people-for-covid

My wife's university is in the Chaoyang district and her sister and her family are still living in Beijing. We've been watching this. Thanks
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby vadaga on Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:30 am

Today also Guangzhou and Hangzhou are going to mass testing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2022/0428/1294784-china-covid/
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed May 11, 2022 1:35 am

https://chinadigitaltimes.net/2022/05/translation-were-going-backwards-weve-put-the-car-in-reverse-and-were-giving-it-gas/

Worth a listen... I've been busy with work lately and so havent been able to post much but this uncle makes some good points.
Last edited by vadaga on Wed May 11, 2022 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic